Equipments to train wrists

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by 7SamuraiX, Aug 25, 2009.

1. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Lol , yes - I too am regurlarly training my wrist. But you have to realise once you wrist strengthens significantly , you should try and icnrease the load slightly , to get more advantages. So once you wrist is a lot stronger - perhaps you should get light dumbells and start using these to train your wrist?

2. n3w813

n3w813 Regular Member

Systems Admin
    Since it would be silly to bring any kind of a racket into my office, I use a 5lb dumbbell and do 25 wrist curls with palms facing up, then 25 facing down, then 25 pronation quick forearm snap twists followed by 25 supination. Every hour, 9 hours every weekday. (I rest on weekends :D)

Like others specified before me, BE CAREFUL, as a too heavy weight may damage your wrist or forearm. Start with a lower weight then work your way up as your muscles develop. Also, start out with less reps and frequency, maybe every 2 hours. :)

3. singnflip4life

singnflip4life Regular Member

Full Time Med Student
    heh well i've only been doing it twice a week for an hour each, so its not super wrist intensive. I've been using my friends old Yonex ISO racket ($25) to protect my other rackets, and last week i heard a not-so-nice crack on a particularly energetic swing. Now I'm outside and no one was around, so i'm pretty sure it was the racket :crying:, but thankfully it was a cheap one he doesnt use anymore.

I've since switched to using my home gym for wrist curls and twists with a 25 pound resistance, 3 sets of 25 reps in both directions, and my forearms are making my poor biceps jealous :D

i was also doing this thing for a while where i tied together a few bricks and ran a length of rope (3ish feet) to a section of pvc piping about the width of a racket handle, and rolled it up and rolled it down while keeping my arms out at 90 degrees (horizontal to the floor). but it got too easy and i was too lazy to find more bricks ><

#23 singnflip4life, Sep 1, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  4. Timmeh

Timmeh New Member

Student
    Sorry to thread jack a bit. BUT... What sort of stuff should you do in general for badminton in the gym. I go a fair amount now (2-3 times a week) and I should really specify it more to a sport now I've got a base strength set up. I've been doing a fair amount on legs, back, abs + obliques, triceps and not enough on forearms. But is there anything that I should be doing? FYI currently I am so close to Andy Murray's build it is unreal, in case you wanted to know.

Tim
    p.s. I already do a lot of cardio and I am generally very fit. So don't suggest I do that to much ;)

5. singnflip4life

singnflip4life Regular Member

Full Time Med Student
    Well, you use most every muscle in this active sport. You seem to good with cardio, but how are you doing your strength training? Simple reps are okay until you get serious. Then you should start alternating between intervals and pyramids in my opinion.

Focus is on shoulders, triceps, forearms, lower back, and leg twitch muscles IMO.

but more experienced players would probably know better than me.