European Championships 2021

Discussion in '2021 Tournaments' started by j4ckie, Apr 29, 2021.

1. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

2. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Couldn't help but notice there wasn't a thread for this event after I finished watching Popov making a surprise (at least to me) exit vs the supremely motivated Kalle Koljonen :D
    Just goes to show once again how complex badminton is, can't ever predict a result simply based on athleticism and hype/reputation. Midway through G2, to me it really looked like Popov would win - especially with his 11-5 lead at the interval; yet Koljonen never gave up and prevailed in the end. Nice match to have going in the background, not a nailbiter that constantly pulled me to the edge of my seat, but very interesting second half of G2.

#2 j4ckie, Apr 29, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
    Cheung, CLELY, Simeon and 1 other person like this.
  3. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

As opposed to all the other raquet and ball sports that are so unsophisticated that hype and athleticism totally suffice as prediction categories.

4. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

No idea where you're taking that from, not what I said or implied in any way.
    I mean it's not like I played tennis and table tennis and know what they're like, or appreciate other sports anyway....oh wait :D

5. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Seems like the German players all need a while to get going, slow starts by both Efler/Herttrich and Lamsfuss/Seidel...the MD match is getting slightly petty as well :D

Pretty solid umpiring throughout, though. Umpires seem to have a good grip on time-wasting and excessive celebrations so far.

#5 j4ckie, Apr 29, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
  6. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

God damn. That line judge on the base line might have use for some caffeine, Yvonne Li getting robbed on some points here :D

7. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

Neslihan Yiğit already has bronze medal at least.

I like her, like Zhang Beiwen, solitary tiger

CLELY likes this.
  8. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Really recommend the MD quarterfinals. Both Popov/Popov vs Astrup/Rasmussen and Lane/Vendy vs Lamsfuss/Seidel were pretty entertaining.
    Lane/Vendy also have me half convinced that Badminton England actually teaches bratty behaviour on court, they're approaching Chris Langridge levels...was kinda funny though to hear Mark try and talk himself and Marvin into celebrating 'ugly' points

DKCPH2018 and Simeon like this.
  9. RichF

RichF Regular Member

Despite Lango's 'gamesmanship', I don't think he'd stoop to some of the things Lane/Vendy were doing e.g. saying "shot, Mark" when you win a point off a loose shot from your opponent. Shouting your opponent's name and roaring deliberately 'at them' when you win a point.

Embarrassing, frankly.

I'm surprised a card wasn't produced.

I'd say closer to Kevin Sanjaya, although he does it in other ways with gestures/actions rather than speech/noise.

#9 RichF, May 1, 2021
    Last edited: May 1, 2021
  10. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Yeah that comment was kinda out of the blue and completely uncalled for...but I'm pretty sure Vendy's going to go home and think to himself he was the victim because "they always shout before the line call" etc
    I was impressed the Germans kept their cool through all that and stayed concentrated on the badminton alone, the audio is a bit too quiet most of the time but all I heard them talking about until late in the third game was tactics.
    Funny that you mention Kevin, I thought they were kind of trying to emulate him at some point when one of them ran to the net to scoop up a shuttle after they won a point, instantly reminded me of him in that famous match vs Goh/Tan :D
    I also think Kevin wouldn't limit himself to gestures if he spoke English but that's just speculation ;)

11. RichF

RichF Regular Member

They were specifically using Mark's name quite a bit.

Yeah, there's a bit of Kevin, bit of Marin etc. creeping into nearly everyone's games. Yes, I'm sure Kevin would be chatting away non-stop if he spoke English.

Whilst the shouting is annoying and definitely tactical at least it's not snidey remarks and gestures about your opponent's ability. Shouting is fake most of the time, it's over the top and not just simply joy at winning a point. Charging towards your opponents and roaring AT THEM when their shot goes out is embarrassing.

Full match:
    https://www.badmintoneurope.tv/en-int/playerpage/597450

Vendy to the umpire: "When I say the feather's broken, just listen, and look at it" - incident starts at 14:20 when the umpire warns Lane about delaying getting ready to receive.

45:35 for "shot, Mark".

#11 RichF, May 1, 2021
    rajat_remar likes this.
  12. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

My favorite little scene was at 18:20 when they held up the game because apparently they can't get ready when Mark's already in his service position, and the little hobbit got snippy with the umpire. I like watching them play in big tournaments because they can produce some really good and entertaining badminton. I don't like hearing them and I've got no respect for them as individuals because they behave like spoiled children.

All the little nuggets (highlights bold):
    14:20 - "Just listen to me"
    18:20 - "I cant get ready if he's ready first"
    19:35 - "By how much was my service too high?"
    Side note: Smith had the same issue in another match and iirc, she complained she couldn't adjust without being told how high it was. English team seems like the absolute worst behaved bunch at this tournament from what I've seen. Really poor attitude towards the judges overall. Loved the umpires response to her - "Practice!" :D
    22:18 - "How dare they celebrate"
    26:45 - "He's shouting every single time"
    29:00 - "When I show out, it's out"
    29:26 - "When I leave it, it's out"
    32:33 - "I need to celebrate a second time, 10s after the point"
    33:27 - More of the same
    35:17 - "I love when you make an unforced error and need to show it"
    45:36 - "Nice shot, Mark"
    53:15 - "I don't understand what 'Don't shout at your opponent means'"
    1:01:18 - "Don't forget, we still know better than the service judges!" (complete with a little foot stomp :D)
    1:03:20 - "I'd like to be Kevin"

13. Bardie

Bardie Regular Member

**** , seemed that Viktor Axelsen was tested positiv on corona after his semifinal.

Edit: https://sport.tv2.dk/badminton/2021...l6C9NpYnZcoITdkgSg8ZZWRn9UkMJHobX7CRmmPAX0MMw

Badminton Denmark's sports director, Jens Meibom, announced on Saturday night that Viktor Axelsen has tested positive for coronavirus less than 24 hours before the European Championship final.

On Sunday afternoon, the eyes of the entire badminton world were to be focused on the European Championship final in men's singles, where the world's number two and three, Viktor Axelsen and Anders Antonsen, stood to clash in the battle for the gold.

But now it is unknown whether the final will be played, as Viktor Axelsen has tested positive for coronavirus.

Sports manager in Badminton Denmark, Jens Meibom, states on Saturday night that Viktor Axelsen's positive answer has come after a test that was handed in on Saturday morning.

- We were told after the match (Axelsen's semi-final, ed.). We follow the protocol and he is smoked back in the room. He has had another test performed, which the protocol prescribes, where we must have clarified whether he is positive or whether it is a false positive, says Jens Meibom. If the other PCR test is also positive, Viktor Axelsen will be out of EM. In that case, he will miss the final match against compatriot Anders Antonsen.

- Viktor has not had any symptoms, but it is not even significant that you have not been infected. So we have to wait and see tomorrow morning (Sunday, ed.) How the status is.

Badminton Denmark thus expects to have a definitive answer on Sunday morning if Axelsen misses the European Championship final.
    Coronavirus in the Danish EC camp

If you look at the corona situation in the Danish European Championship camp, there is not exactly positive news to pick up for Viktor Axelsen.

Already on arrival last weekend, men's doubles player Joel Eipe tested positive for coronavirus. Since then, his partner, Rasmus Kjær, followed suit. On Friday, it was then another doubles player, Mathias Thyrri, who also received a positive coronate test.

Even before Thyrri's positive coronate test, Badminton Denmark had made a number of measures to avoid spread in the Danish camp.

Has Viktor been in contact with those who have tested positive?

- Everyone has been isolated since the first positive test came. But of course we have traveled together along the way. That is the best explanation we can get, says sports director Jens Meibom and adds:

- It's a little incomprehensible to us. We have PCR-tested every day, and Viktor was tested negative on the fourth day and on the sixth day.

Attached Files:

#13 Bardie, May 1, 2021
    kwun likes this.
  14. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

God damn

Thanks for sharing, I probably wouldn't have found out before tomorrow's final :D

15. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

but Antonsen is already positive with virus and health again, so that Antonsen has antibody with Covid. It means Viktor's case will not infect to Antonsen.

16. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

17. RichF

RichF Regular Member

18. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Not with 100% certainty though. There have been cases of reinfection even before the new mutations, so it's good Victor was isolated quickly.
    Sad that we're going to miss out on the final because of injury/sickness, and that Anders had to win it by default, which I'm sure he'd give up in a flash to actually contest the final.
    Speedy recovery to Victor, I hope he gets through this okay and without complications...he's not exactly in the best spot in the world should things go south, so fingers crossed he makes it through with minimal or no symptoms!

Bardie likes this.
  19. Bardie

Bardie Regular Member

So you mean that both of them could have played because Viktor wouldn't pose a threat to Anders? What about the health of others? Driver, referee. Linejudges?? No, it was correct that after the repeated test, which was also positive, he was isolated just like Mark Lamsfuß. It's a shame for our sport, but it can hardly be changed. However, I wonder why this fourth test in Ukraine was taken AFTER the semifinals. In the other tournaments, the last tournament test was taken before the semifinals, so that there could only be game surrenders in the semifinals and not in the finals?

galaxyduo, Simeon and j4ckie like this.
  20. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I'm just guessing, but maybe they're tested more frequently because Ukraine and Kiev in particular are such Covid hotspots? To ensure as much safety for the competitors as possible? I'm definitely very puzzled why Badminton Europe went ahead with a championship in such a dangerous country (in terms of Covid), but I do not know when these things get decided either so maybe this decision was finalized way before it was clear that Ukraine wasn't doing a good job of managing this.
    Anyhow, just noticed that the MD final fell through for the same reasons, sad to see for me, obviously, since the MD and MS were the only ones I was looking forward to watching, but most importantly I hope everyone's going to be ok and recover with little symptoms and no lasting aftereffects.

Cruel irony that the first time we see 2 European Champions from Russia (that I can remember, at least) is when it takes place in Ukraine of all places

Simeon likes this.