European Team Championships

Discussion in 'Continental Badminton Championships 2004' started by seven, Apr 16, 2004.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    ;) Just a note on scoring according to IBF's laws on badminton, so as to update ourselves and not to cause unnecessary confusion.

The updated version is: "a MATCH has a maximum of 3 GAMES" and

NOT

"a GAME has a maximum of 3 SETS"

So often we still hear even supposedly qualified umpires using the term SET instead of GAME although this change has been effected for some years now. This is disgraceful for they should be the ones to be updated first and educate us. But instead they reinforce the error time and again.

Unfortunately, many commentators as well as announcers also use the wrong word SET very so often. SET used to be the old term but now GAME is the correct version.

Obviously it seems we can't escape from the crutches of Tennis which has been dominating the TV than their younger brother Badminton!

I hope BFers will use the correct terms MATCH and GAME from now onwards for this is special to badminton.

2. Morten

Morten Regular Member

MS Semifinals

Jonassen/Dicky-Bjorn Joppien(stunned Kaldau in two sets)

Gade-Boesen

Looks like Gade is gonna take it as he never has lost to Boesen( last encounter was the danish championship where a ill Gade won 15-2 15-3 :eek: and he is soon getting near his old strengh.. If Gade wins this title and perform well under the TC and Malaysia Open he may earn a seeding spot as a 3/4 seed since he with a win in the European Championship will be close to Lee huyin ill and Bao. Go Gade!

3. Dzgdz

Dzgdz Regular Member

finance
    I am wondering if in team events "SET" means a match (e.g. MS) and "MATCH" means the meeting between two teams (e.g. INA vs DEN).

In this case the word "set" makes sense in Badminton.

regards

dzgdz

4. Morten

Morten Regular Member

Jonassen won in a hard 3 sets match, is to meet Bjorn Joppien tomorrow

5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    :)
    I'm sorry I missed this one until now.

Unfortunately the word "set" is not used in the sense you proposed. There is this same word 'set' appearing in the Laws, but this refers to a situation when the score is level at 14-all and the player/team who first scored 14 points has the prerogative to 'set' to 17 points or just to play straight 15 points. Maybe this word is not repeated to mean a game (as in Tennis) or even a match, so as not to confuse the terms.

If INA plays against DEN, we call it a 'match' between INA and DEN. I'm sure you've heard of friendly 'matches' between clubs. The same applies in individual events eg the 'match' between Lin Dan and Sony.

Sometimes we do hear of say, the Men's Single(s) 'event' instead of 'match'. Notice the word Singles has an 's' as well as Double(s). I have seen/heard many announcements both in writing and in speech which spelt these two words wrongly by using the singular form. Even in the current TC website, these two words were spelt wrongly in the singular form! It seems normal to say 'single', without the 's' but what of double? We just can't change the words to our liking or because we are ignorant! We've got to learn the right words! It is a shame and if this is not corrected, it will always remain wrong and the mistake will perpetuate!

Unfortunately, despite attempts to correct the mistakes, you can still see BFers using the terms wrongly time and again. It is a pity because, being ardent badminton fans, we should know better! :(