Exercises to increase shoulder and arm strength

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Udbhav, Dec 7, 2019.

1. Udbhav

Udbhav Regular Member

It would be great if someone could suggest me exercises to increase my shoulder and arm strength.

I have observed that the shoulders, triceps and forearms are the most important muscles to strengthen followed by biceps because bicels are activated only during backhand. So please suggest exercises for each and every part of the arm to increase power in my strokes.

2. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

How have you observed this?
    How have you observed this?

There are larger muscles that can be much stronger, like those involved in turning the body, and those involved between the hips and the shoulders, and those of the legs..(and positioning behind the shuttle, and timing to hit the shuttle on the correct part of the racket.. and turning..).

And with regard to the arm

Watch this badmintonfamily video titled "smash harder in badminton"

they show a good exercise with a dumbell to strengthen forearm rotation and upper arm rotation (forearm rotation you probably know.. and he makes it clear in his video).. (upper arm rotation, he also makes clear in his video, it is part of the shoulder. In badminton, and in that dumbell exercise, it's where the elbow moves in a small arc). The dumbell part is around 5-7min in. He does it with just forearm rotation, and he does it combining the forearm rotation and upper arm rotation. Other parts of the video cover other areas too, like fingers. and other things.

Also, from badmintonfamily, titled badminton smash technique smash harder

#2 ralphz, Dec 7, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    DarkHiatus and LenaicM like this.
  3. Udbhav

Udbhav Regular Member

I meant most important muscles to strengthen in the arms.

Sorry

4. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Economic cheap way is using unused plastic bottle filled with sand. Just do shadow forhand, backhand, & full swing stroke while holding the bottle. Do it at home with daily routine, 50 stroke each & after awhile when you aleady used to it, add 50 more.

Lately im also doing some excercise again after so long i havent done it. But instead of using plastic bottle, i use a broken electric mousquito racket. Pretty heavy with big head, far from aerodynamic plus 2 big battery installed. But i broke it as my swing momentum far stronger than what its plastic body can hold:p.

5. Udbhav

Udbhav Regular Member

I was thinking of purchasing a tennis racket(300-350gm) .

6. Budi

Budi Regular Member

A training racket would do good or if you have spare sleeping forever racket in your bag, you can also use it for training.

Practice swing it with its head cover attached or if you dont have the head cover, just wrap it with plastic to makes it trap the air when swinging so it feel heavier.

Anyway you could use any heavy object & adjust/customize the head weight to fit your need. Like me using mousquito racket recently, tho i broke 2 of it already. Well at least i still have few more in my scrap box that i havent dump it to the trash.

7. llrr

llrr Regular Member

This is a bad idea. Tennis racquets are much heavier than badminton racquets and they do not allow you to practice the twitch explosiveness you need from forearms for badminton. You'd more likely to injure your wrist practicing using tennis racquets.

Cheung, DarkHiatus and speCulatius like this.
  8. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

You will either:

1) target the wrong muscles/technique and develop a very arm-based swing with no wrist/finger power

2) injure your wrist/forearm/elbow because the correct technique will not allow you to do the same things with a tennis racquet as a badminton racquet.

If you want to do full strokes, 120-150g is more than enough as a training racquet, or simply add a head cover onto your existing racquet.

Either take @ralphz advice regarding isolating each muscle group to strengthen e.g. finger grip device, dumbbell exercise, or use only a small additional weight/resistance if you want to do the full stroke. I recommend doing both types of exercise if you want the best results, but do NOT combine them.

Trying harder does not result in getting stronger if you use inappropriate training methods.

9. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

Some do use a tennis racket.. some use a squash racket... (besides those that use a badminton training racket!)

See here a female former chinese national player xiao jie suggests using a tennis racket to build strength (see the text in yellow where they translate her).. and they translate well.. she speaks about pronation and supination in a number of videos.

[​IMG]

This link(which is not disagreeing with you when it says this), suggests the idea of actually playing squash (with squash racket), rather than training badminton with a squash racket https://www.badmintonbay.com/blog/3-reasons-train-badminton-training-racket-not-squash-racket/ I think that's a good idea and have thought about doing that a number of times..

But some do train to get more power, doing badminton strokes using a squash racket, or even a tennis racket, and i'm sure that with a little bit of awareness one wouldn't get injured. And of course as we know there are badminton training rackets, which, as you indicate, are lighter than a tennis racket.

I'm not suggesting one should or shouldn't use a tennis racket, but it looks like Udbhav understands that it's forearm rotation and upper arm rotation , not a bending of the wrist, so why would his wrist get injured?

his wrist wouldn't even be moving independently, his wrist is attached to the rest of his arm and the rest of his arm is moving.

if you'd said shoulder then that may be more plausible, but even then..

A person that understands that it's forearm rotation and upper arm rotation and is trying to use a heavier thing to get some resistance in doing that , could be conscious of that and still do it... the rotation without simply swinging the arm in an uneducated manner.

Ladies are able to use a badminton racket, and a lady may be half the strength of a man.. and so for them a badminton racket may well be as "heavy" as a tennis racket is for a man. And they manage it.

If a person tries to whack the shuttle as hard as they possibly can, that's when technique goes out the window.. and they can get injured even with a badminton racket.. but if a person is conscious that they're doing an exercise to build strength then it's all the more reason they may have to not go nuts. So whether a person will or won't get injured using whatever they are using, is down to the individual..

When building strength with any kind of weight one should be ultra careful on technique. And not doing a rushed movement. And really injury could be even less likely than in competitive play. Because one is not focussing on trying to whack it or win a point, but on the movement and the muscle.