Experience with unfriendly players?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Saru, Aug 8, 2019.

1. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Sharing an experience from yesterday. I was asked to give a coaching hour for a club who wants to start playing at the lowest league and also want to have a juniors team. I made the mistake to offer the hour for a tube of shuttles which I used in this session. I had to charge money as well. I was 15 minutes earlier inside the hall nobody there. The first players attended. First 4 players wanted to play a match. A junior came in, nobody else was there. I started to do a 1 on 1 session with the junior and noticed immediately the wrong grip and not turning the body. I came to him and as I came over he started to roll with his eyes. I showed him the V-grip, rotation of the body and scissor jump. He said that he can play at his best with the panhandle grip. I explained the cons of it and the pros of the V-grip and noticed his "shut up" in his face.

Two others joined and after we did a short warm up which was for them an unnecessary thing, I explained the exercises, the key points and demonstrated the right technique. I could feel even more that nobody was interested to learn anything. "We are no pros" was the arguement which I heard a few times regarding rules of legal serves, technique and tactics.

Since I was there and the hour was over, I decided to play after this frustration to get ordered for people who don't wanna learn anything. I joined a game. First question of my partner "Do we play right-left or do you want to stay in the front." One of these persons who skipped training. I tried to explain that the formation depends on the game situation in short. I noticed a nodding with the eyes telling me shut up and let's start. When I was done I heard following comment "We are hobby, but this is something awkward that I never heard". We started the game. Opponent started to make a forehand serve on me in midcourt and came frankly forward into the spot where I hit it down. Shuttle got on the chest. "Can you make a different stroke please. The court is big enough." I took myself back, got everytime the Boris Becker Backhand of my partner in my forehand side. And started to mess around and than it happend a clash. Clearly my fault to use a good racket for such a match, but clearly my shuttle in this situation. I explained why to prevent any clashing, changed the racket and got as answer "Don't take this too serious we are here for fun. It's just a racket"

Then the guy who ordered me attended and asked how it went. I explained that I got the feeling that nobody want to learn anything. He was really surprised, because many people asked for training to get prepared for the season. As I asked who will play, he answered all and pointed to the people who skipped training and the "hobbyplayers" who can't even clear. He felt sorry and invited me to play a game with him together. He asked two players sitting on the bench who refused to play vs. me because of wanting to win one more game in this session to make it perfect of no lost set. I realized that it was time to go home and come never ever again. Reality will knock them out in the first league game.

2. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Thats indeed frustating.
    Human brain is really hard to understand, sometimes there will always thinking that for us is out of logic but for them its logical.

3. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

So there is that one guy who is ambitious and who most likely convinced the others to form a club league team. All the others seem to be completely clueless and indifferent about what's going to happen there. As you say - the first league matches will hit them like a sledgehammer. And I bet the "team boss" will face a hard time to get together a full team very soon.

Nothing wrong with a bunch of people forming a club only to knock around some shuttles for fun and not really caring about improving. But playing competitive with that sort of mindset? Good luck.

#23 s_mair, Aug 17, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    Sumanth99 likes this.
  4. ucantseeme

No, it is not just one guy who wants to play league and put everybody in the team and he isn't the captain. He really didn't forced anybody. I think that they all didn't have a clue what training means and that you can't get a stronger smash and fool any opponent in one hour with a panhandle grip all the way. They also don't know what they face even in the lowest league. I think they play league to have a reason for the beer after it. I noticed that the choice of the jerseys and a clever and funny sentence was more important than serving and returning it.

phihag and Sumanth99 like this.
  5. Heer

Heer Regular Member

#25 Heer, Aug 22, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  6. Heer

Heer Regular Member

I think you should not focus on what your opponent does before, after or during the match. You should just focus on your game. You can't expect everyone looking at the game in the same way as you. There can be huge behavioral differences in a short geographical area and similar behavioral patterns in different geographical area . Similarly, in a play field where everyone is overburdened by high aspirations and expectations of winning accompanied by their personal behaviour, it is nearly impossible. You also can't change your opponents in a short meeting with him on the court. It can be a possibility that some of your opponents who show unfriendly attitude are not mature and that's why can't digest a defeat from you or gets overexcited after winning. Some players use it as a strategy to divert the attention of the opponent. Attitude of the opponent also plays a big role in it.
    Moreover, in certain cases, you will find your opponents to be unfriendly, haughty etcetera but it stands far from reality. When I was an early teenager of about 12 or 13, our summer vacations were on and I was in my village where I played a tournament . I was told that there won't be much competition for me if I play against opponents of my age group. But when I played my first match, I saw my opponent about 5 - 6 years elder than me. But after the match, the scorecard indicated that I defeated him with a huge and clear scoreline of 21-11 21-3. This made me excited because I had not defeated anyone 5-6 years elder than me, let alone the scoreline of 21-3. As a kid, I saw my victory to be the best victory so far. I just forgot that though he was bigger than me in age, size and strength, his level was far below. I was not unfriendly or rude to him but I was just happy from my performance. He was also looking aggressive when he was losing points against me and had even thrown his racquet. At that time, I thought that he can't digest his defeat from a kid who was not even reaching to his shoulders and was there with a intention of throwing away a kid so when I defeated him, I thought that I broke his overconfidence and termed him to be unfriendly and arrogant. On the other hand, some people ( perhaps he as well) had also termed me of being unfriendly as I got overexcited after defeating an easy opponent. But in reality, neither he nor I was actually culprit. I defeated several players of his age group by a much better scoreline of 21-4 21-2 etc. but not everyone reacted like that. They even appreciated me even in final match. Perhaps they had understood that though I was much better than them in the play field but still is a kid who got overexcited after defeating players of higher age group and very smaller than some of them in terms of maturity.
    Now whenever I play I just don't concentrate on what my opponent is doing. I just focus on my game play and his mistakes whether the match is tight or lopsided. In lopsided ones like above, I still don't give any freebies and becomes happy if my performance is good but don't show it ( emotions ) like that but in tight matches, sometimes it can't be avoided. A good handshake and performance appraisals by both to each other can reduce the misunderstanding between the two.

#26 Heer, Aug 22, 2019
  7. ucantseeme

@Heer As I said before (you posted this story a few times here on BC) it has nothing to do with unfriendly players. The guy was a bit angry about himself and his performance. Who really enjoy to loose? No one. He just couldn't control his anger. Nothing uncommon for juniors and I don't see any unfriendly behavior. Have you ever thought that he got bullied everytime he lost? Nothing uncommon and junior age that the behavior and interacting with others is rude and hurtful. I don't see any single point of beeing unfriedly, but you really enjoy posting this story, must be "the triumph" in your career. ;)

IMO unfriendly things mustn't come from an opponent. I mean you are at a tournament so the atmosphere can often a bit icey. Unfriendly behavior is often something which happen when the social component is much more important. Like during club nights, training, social play etc. And it must not be only your opponent, it could also be people who are partnered with you, who you train, people you get partnered for drills in a training session etc.

pughon and Heer like this.
  8. Heer

Heer Regular Member

O
    Ok. I posted this here because this is all I know of any uncommon behaviour from me and my opponent.

#28 Heer, Aug 22, 2019