Flexibility

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Derek S-H, Apr 29, 2003.

1. drop_n_net

drop_n_net Regular Member

Student
    thats exactly wat i did, cept there was a person that was pushing you down and it just makes you want to scream on the inside:eek::D

2. CkcJsm

CkcJsm Regular Member

lol, btw qinglong can u kick above ur waist now? lol

and how about being an adult can u still do it? =)

3. qinglong

qinglong Regular Member

CkcJsm:

i practised that method during university days when i was joining taekwondo as a sport. But i gave up eventually, not that the method didn't work but that I developed so many blisters in both my feet when the coaches began directing increasingly difficult training for us newbies. My feet just couldn't handle the training intensity.

After I stopped, my limb flexibility returned to normal. Splits are not possible for me now. You'll have to maintain that flexibility constantly. Its no use for you if you think you can ease off after you have achieved it.

4. CkcJsm

CkcJsm Regular Member

o lol thx, and does anyone know the techinque butterfly where u put ur feet together and put ur head down , where r u supposed to feel pressure?cause i only seem to feel pressure on bones(at least it seems like it) where ur legs end.lol and thx quinlong.=)

5. qinglong

qinglong Regular Member

That method you are using, it works better if you try to keep your thighs level with the ground as you bend your head down towards the front of your toes. This way, you'll feel the tension in the hamstring. It is one of my primary methods of stretching hamstring just before I get on court to play.

6. Crazypeetee246

Crazypeetee246 Regular Member

Stretching

I know that stretching is extremely important, but I don't really know what to stretch for for badminton. Anybody have a routine they do that they would like to share? :p

7. chrishin

chrishin Regular Member

(founding post but been here for a while)

badminton requires most of your body parts and muscles maybie except for face :p

my coach at school tells us to stretch our arm (bicep, tricep, and shoulder)
    and leg, (groin thigh)

and most importantly wrist and ankle.

8. Crazypeetee246

Crazypeetee246 Regular Member

its not that I don't know WHAT to stretch, I just sometimes don't know the stretching exercise im doing is actually stretching that muscle. I hope that made sense.

9. chrishin

chrishin Regular Member

bicep by putting your arm across your chest and pulling in with other one

tricep by putting the arm behind your head down toward waist pusing with other arm

wrist by pulling it back on the hand

shoulder just by rotating it

ankle by doing 180 rotation (360's supposed to be bad for you)

groin by sitting on the ground and one leg behind you kinda folded stretching

and can't describe few other ones

10. cwong

cwong Regular Member

Lin Dan flexes his face while jump smashing! :D

11. starx

starx Regular Member

All body must stretch

12. Monster

Monster Regular Member

i seldom stretch long enough. i do a quick stretch and straight to stroking and then to the games. just too excited when i am on the court. no injury so far, hopefully my little stretching is enough.

13. choonghannrulez

choonghannrulez Regular Member

hmm should we S-T-R-E-T-C-H 1st or warm up 1st? warm up means light jogging for 5mins for blood circulation. i heard its BAD to STRETCH COLD MUSCLES. :rolleyes:

14. Tammy

Tammy Regular Member

Always warm up first and stretch after that. Yes, it is bad to stretch cold muscles.

15. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

You don't want to fall into the misconception that more flexibility = better, because in reality it is optimal muscle length = best. For example, the shoulder joint is already very mobile and already has a good range of motion, so instead the focus should be on keeping it stable so you don't get a shoulder injury.

In contrast, the hip is a joint that should be very mobile but tends to be rather tight in most people because of all the sitting we do during the day. To compensate for this tightness, the lower back often moves around too much, leading to lower back discomfort. So, generally most people need to improve hip flexibility.

16. david14700

david14700 Regular Member

If you've been to any international tournaments and seen the players warm-up, you'll know they spend a LONG LONG time stretching before matches. They can be there for over an hour, usually on the floor with their legs outstretched wide. They are usually talking to team mates, or listening to music on earphones.

They seem to do a lot of lower back stretching, as well as legs, especially the men's singles players.

What's also impressive is how long they spend AFTER the match, warming down. Considering how flexible they all are anyway, it just stresses how important it is.

Me, I always try to do a solid 30 seconds before playing 5 hours of games. Specifically, bending down and trying to remember how young was when I could last touch my toes.

17. 2NDround

2NDround Regular Member

Always warm up before stretching to avoid injury.

Always stretch after a game to ensure that flexibility is retain. Minor tissue damage after an exercise is normal and will recover quickly. However, repeated injury reduce flexibility. Stretching will ensure that flexibility is not lost.

It is not important to stretch before a game. It is much safer to stretch after a game (after the body is thoroughly warm up).

Stretching should be done slowly in a relax manner. It should not be painful. All movement should be smooth and not jerky.

Always stretch muscle in pairs. It is sufficient to stretch each pair only twice, each time holding for about 15 seconds. Stretching more than this will not obtain significant increase in result.

Do not stretch injured muscles.

18. Pawping

Pawping New Member

Trainer