What a relief for Liverpool fans! Torres pledges future to Liverpool AFP/File – Spain striker Fernando Torres (seen here on July 7) pledged his immediate future to Liverpool on Tuesday, … 2 hrs 48 mins ago LIVERPOOL, England (AFP) – Spain striker Fernando Torres pledged his immediate future to Liverpool on Tuesday, ending speculation that the World Cup winner could be heading out of Anfield. "I am really happy to be back, really happy to stay with all my team-mates," the 26-year-old told the club website. "My commitment and loyalty to the club and to the fans is the same as it was on my first day when I signed. I am looking forward to the challenge ahead." Since the end of last season when Liverpool's disappointing seventh-placed finish led to the sacking of coach Rafael Benitez, Torres has been the subject of any number of transfer rumours with cash-heavy Manchester City and Chelsea circling Anfield like vultures. However, the arrival in the summer of new boss Roy Hodgson, coupled with Steven Gerrard's similar pledge of loyalty, has led Torres to keep faith with a club that is still looking for its first championship win since 1990. "This is the best club in the country so the targets and expectations are always high," said Torres who is recovering from the groin injury he picked up in the World Cup final against the Netherlands. "Hopefully we can stay at our level. At Liverpool the aim is to fight for every title. "It was difficult last season but we are sure we can improve this season." Liverpool, who are now the subject of a possible boardroom takeover, have so far only added England midfielder Joe Cole to their roster but they have seen Yossi Benayoun head the other way down to Chelsea. Argentinean midfielder Javier Mascherano is also likely to leave.