Fun Tournament in Vancouver

Discussion in 'Canada West' started by Traum, Jul 1, 2003.

1. Traum

Traum Regular Member

Hello folks. Sorry about the delay (yet again), but I have finally talked to Darryl about booking some courts at ClearOne for the Vancouver BC/BF tournament.

I have asked for a 3 to 4 hour time slot on the third or fourth weekend of September, with a preference for Saturday mornings. Once Darryl gets back to me (in 3 to 4 days, he said), I'll post the details of the tournament here.

-Rick

2. LoveJoy

LoveJoy Regular Member

In please!
    I may be able to convince my regular group for 3 doubles team...I would say B to high B level players.

3. Traum

Traum Regular Member

Ok, here's what I have in mind about the registration fee for the tournament.

Assuming that we're getting 4 courts for 4 hours, we're gonna need:

$15 x 4 courts x 4 hours = $240

To keep costs down, I think we should be using nylon shuttles (Mavis 300's). Assuming that we'll burn through a tube an hour, we'll need

$12/tube x 4 tubes x 1.145 tax ~= $55

That brings the estimated cost to run the tournament at $295. Assuming that we'll accept 32 participants, a registration fee of $10/person would give us $320, which nicely covers the primary expenses of the tourney.

However, at $10/person, there is no room for prizes. So what I'm thinking is that if you guys wouldn't mind paying $15/person, that'll give us $185 to spend on prizes, some of which would be spent on the championship prize, and the remaining portion spent on draw prizes. From my previous experience in running tournaments, this arrangement generally works quite well. And with about a third to a half of the participants being able to win some badminton-related draw prizes, most participants would enjoy themselves a little more at the tourney because they know they'll still have a chance at the prizes even though they may not win the championship.

As to the format of the tournament, I am leaning towards what WWC has suggested earlier because it would be easier for people to register (i.e. no need to look for a partner) and easier for the organizers to arrange the games. However, I also recognize that the participants would likely enjoy themselves a little more if they're playing with their own partner. I'm still debating with myself as to which aspect is more important. If you guys have any suggestions, they'll be very much appreciated.

Last but not least, because we want this to be a BC/BF event, I think we should give priority for registration to BC/BF members. Having said that, it is also important for us to fill the draw, so we should open the registration to non BC/BF members after an initial BC/BF-exclusive registration period.

As before, if anyone has any suggestions about this, please post them here and we'll discuss it.

-Rick

4. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    I just finished running the fun tournament this afternoon at clearone with the Malaysian Association. There was 32 teams, and we had 4 hours. Playing 1 game to 15 each, we were able to play out 4 pools of 4 teams, and from the top two of each pool advance towards a 8 team standard draw. All games were 1 x 15 and we ran over by 40 minutes from our original time slot of 4 hours using 3 courts. Your 4 hours x 4 courts will be a good estimate, based on the type of scoring you will apply.

Just to give you an idea of timing. Although always nice to afford the time to play a good hard match, with 32 teams and limited timeframe, as an organizer you will have to make decisions as to the match lengths. (ie. 1 x15, 1 x 21, 3 x 11, etc...)

An average game (15 pts) will last typical 10 minutes, and an even matched game will typically be around 20 minutes. So that is something you should keep in mind when setting up the time table.

5. Traum

Traum Regular Member

Yes, badrad. Thank you for reminding me about the time requirements of the tournament. I really appreciate it. I am aware of the wide variance in time the games can take, and I am prepared to make some hard decisions/adjustments to the games to accomodate the schedule as the games proceed.

BTW, I was one of the bratty kids at ClearOne today with Edwin, Eric, Raymond, Chi Ho, etc. on court 1 (I was the one that was all bandaged up.). The championship match was certainly an eye-opener.

-Rick

6. Traum

Traum Regular Member

Hello folks. It has been almost 3 weeks since I initially talked to Darryl about getting some court time for a BC/BF tournament at ClearOne. However, Darryl has been unable to find me a contiguous 4-hour block where we could take out 4 courts. To keep the tournament idea alive, I think we'll need to look beyond ClearOne and try to find other places where we can go ahead with this.

For the moment, I've checked that I can book the Bethany Church gym in northeast Richmond (near Annacis Island) on Sat, Oct 25 (actually, a good friend of mine did this for me). This is the gym that I generally go to with my private group, and the facilities there are decent, though not spectacular.

I'm gonna check with Darryl again one more time to see if he can get me some court time. If he still can't confirm the time block with me, then unfortunately I'll have to take the tournament elsewhere.

Please stay tuned for more updates!

-Rick

7. 15Love

15Love Regular Member

software developer, lab tech
    I don't know if this will make a difference in your plans or not but the Jack Underhill badminton tournament is also scheduled for that weekend in October.

8. Traum

Traum Regular Member

Hello folks. After careful consultation with the Badminton BC events calender, I've finally settled on a date that shouldn't have too important a conflict. Please refer to this thread for details regarding the tournament.

I hope I'll see all of you at the tourney!

-Rick