Gade defeated ChenHong!

Discussion in 'Hong Kong / Chinese Taipei / China Open 2003' started by SmartCivet, Nov 13, 2003.

1. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

Will there be a delayed telecast for CCTV tonight in China?

2. Morten

Morten Regular Member

yeah sorry i made a mistake:) . good that some is fast in here

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Zhu Weilun is very good. Has good footwork and good strokes. Seems to be a traveller as well. If I am not mistaken, he's played in Japan and Denmark and is not a member of the National squad. Is that correct?

4. SmartCivet

SmartCivet Regular Member

SOFTWARE ENGINEER
    the news said, when Chen Hong lead Gade 14-8, a disputed base line call disturbed ChenHong's emotion. I think Chen hong is not self-possessed.

5. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Hm. Gade will have a tough next match against Bao. In his hey-days, when Gade played Boesen, he never used to win as big as Bao did against Boesen today... It's hard to know if that really means much -- Boesen knows how to play Gade (yet it doesn't help) -- but my guess is that Bao will beat Gade in two games. But I hope I'm wrong! :p

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Great win for Gade. Hope his process of back to top going well. However, tougher matches (Chen Hong seems not in top form ever after the elbow injury) will come one after another. Fighting throw the mighty CHN army + WCH is no fun.

Chen Hong's ranking might further drop, if he can't pick up his dominance as earlier this yr.

7. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    If Chen Hong got so disturbed by a questionable line call, that's certainly something he needs to work on psychologically.

I doubt it could have played such a big part in his loss? Those things happen all the time.

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    It might be, at least for now. After his elbow injury, appears that Chen Hong's game could not "last long". Therefore, a quick finish is much more important to Chen these days.

If a game is dragging on, especially at 14, it will bothers him a lot. I think being blown out in 2nd set is a proof.

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    The Mp88 is working out for gade:)

10. fhchiang

fhchiang Regular Member

actually what are you trying to say?

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I mean, with protential opponents like Bao, WCH, Lin/Xia, or even the surprising Chen Yu or Zhu, etc, Gade will have a tough time to beat them all and holding the trophy.

12. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    We all know Chen Hong is not very strong mentally so this is not impossible...

He sure needs to work psychologically anyway!

13. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Ask Gao Ling to cheer on the side more often... :eek: :D

14. fhchiang

fhchiang Regular Member

i hope WCH is able to defend his China Open title.....

well...WCH won it by a victory Over Chen Hong Last Year.....

15. SmartCivet

SmartCivet Regular Member

SOFTWARE ENGINEER
    I have seen some reports, Chenhong has admited he was not calm in the game.

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Judging by Chen Hong's previous matches, a very clear aspect of his game is that he will lose runs of points. That is, he will relax a little, try for winners (and missing) and the opponent will gain a number of points. Wonder if it happened in this case.

If the opponent can break Chen Hong confidence in the first game, CH will become more impatient and play more of a power game with tighter margins. His game then becomes a little more predictable. An opponent with the right frame of mind can overcome CH more easily like this in the 2nd game.

17. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    Congrats to Gade. Great win.
    But this Zhu Weilun character is really suprising, defeating Kaldau, Yeoh KB and now annihilating Park Tae Sang easily 15-4, 15-3. All 3 players he faced are by no means weak opponents. He may just do quite well here on.

BaoChunLai vs Gade 60/40 - Bao is 2-0 against Gade this year and is looking in good form but Gade's on the comeback trail though.

WONG Choong Hann vs ChenYu 60/40 - Wong is looking in good form having won at Taipei and now out seeking to recapture his CHN Open title. Chen Yu has never bt. him in 4 tries.

LinDan vs Xia XuanZE 55/45 - Xia's bt. Lin twice this year already but this time Lin is well in-form while Xia is not up to his 100% ability.

Zhu Weilun vs HARIYANTO Agus 60/40 - Of all 8 quarter-finalists, these 2 are probably considered the weakest. But I think the underdog is going to take it, with his impressive run.

18. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

I think the same thing happened in the All England 2003 final against Hafiz.
    I think Chen Hong was leading 12-7 or thereabouts in the first game when he left a shuttle thinking it was going long. It was called in. The replays seemed to show that it was actually out (but only just...it was a difficult call). Chen won the next point on Hafiz's serve, so the score could have been 14-7 instead of 12-7, and then it would have been a different match...

19. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    As usual, apologies for the poor translation. but here is an article which give a little glimpse on what happened during the match, enjoy....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Information Daily – Wang Wei

Losing due to stamina, Chen Hong: “should’ve stayed calm”

Arguing over line call disturbed the 1st seed’s mental strength, although he lead 10:0 on the first set, his game crumbled and eventually lost the match. Lost one rally, lost all.

The focus on yesterday’s match was the 3rd round match between 1st seed Chen Hong and golden boy Peter Gade, this is the match everybody was waiting for. However, none of the audience expected the 1st seed to lose 0:2 to Gade, creating the biggest upset in the tournament.

Lacking in Stamina before the match

Before 5pm yesterday, Chen Hong arrived at Tian He stadium to prepare for his match, Gade arrived not long after him. Both were preparing in the basement court, Gade was hitting with his coach while Chen was stretching on the side.

While Gade was focused, Chen felt a bit off focused. The reporters around him knew to not disturb Chen, Chen was staring at Gade. In their previous head-to-head record, Chen lose to Gade more often. However, Gade has been injured for the past 2 years, Chen meanwhile was climbing up the ranking ladder. As a result they haven’t played against each other often, Chen felt a bit uneasy.

From 10:0 lead to losing 16:17

At 6.20pm, their match started, the entire Tian He stadium are watching this one match. Chen was leading 10:0 in the first but he let Gade climb back and eventually beat Chen with 17:16. After that, Chen lost his spirit and lost the 2nd set easily too. The whole match lasted less than 30mins.

Chen lost is due to his lack in mental strength. Chen was leading 14:6 in the first set while Gade hit a what appeared to him an outside shot. Chen shouted “OUT”. However, the line judge indicted that it is in. Chen argued with the umpire who judged it as “IN”. After that, Gade fought back 2 points, 14:8, 14:9, 14:11, Gade took advantage of the situation and quickly caught up with Chen!

At this point, Chen is out of ideas. Until Gade caught up to set 14:14, Chen suddenly woke up and gained two points to 16:16. however, Chen gave the set away with an out-of-bound shot, 16:17. Gade miraculously fought back with a 10 point deficit. After that, Chen completely lost his fighting spirit.

The audience did not believe the 1st seed could be so vulnerable, so they cheered for Chen. Unfortunately, cheering is no use now, Chen never led the game from 2:2 onwards. 2:6, 4:6, 4:7, 4:8, 4:11, and eventually lost at 4:15, the empty Chen was completely destroyed by Gade.

The lucky Gade didn’t expect to beat Chen in 2 games, he raised his arm up in the air after the victory. The audience applauded Gade selflessly while Chen sat hopeless on the floor. After watching this key match, Li Yongbo went up to Chen to console him, the disappointed Chen didn’t pay much attention to him and left the arena.

Chen : I didn’t stay composed

Seeing the 1st seed losing is a big upset, around 30 reporter surrounded Chen at the entrance, they saw the hopeless face of Chen. When ask why he lost the match after a 10 point lead, Chen said, “the 1st half of the 1st game was played normally. I was clearly executing the game plan. But at 14:6, the mistake from the lineman caused me to be nervous and I failed to adjust to it.”

Chen blamed himself for losing the match, “I was affected by the questionable call, I didn’t control myself mentally. I didn’t stay calm for the 2nd game, and thus my shots were affected and went all off.” Chen thinks there is another reason, “I have not been training normally, my thinking was having problems, as a result I made a lot of mistakes during the encounter.”

20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Wang Wei wrote it? Or another Wang Wei.

good points there. Rather lose now and learn than lose later in the Olympics....