Games for children

Discussion in 'Coaching Forum' started by Cuchulain, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Cuchulain

Cuchulain New Member

Hello, I'm from Belgium, so please forgive the countless faults in the text below. ;)

I just read a dozen of pages throughout this forum and I haven't found exactly what I was looking for...

I will be in charge of badminton courses for 15 children beetween 12 and 16 during a week. These would be initiation courses, so the majority of them don't actualy play badminton during the year and will only come for entertainment. Nevertheless, I would like to help them to discover what is realy badminton and if possible a little of technique through funny games. I've already some ideas (having followed those kinds of trainings... well, some years ago :rolleyes:) but I would be grateful for hearing some good ideas.

Thanks for them ;)

2. marcia

marcia New Member

coach
    training for children

Hi Im Marcia from Indonesia. My husband Roy Karamoy is one of the best and talented advance trainer in Jakarta. But, we are now also handle a really beginner player even join badminton for fun.

What we need to understand is do not make them suffer or doesnt able to play. Start with a pattern game such, hold 3 to 5 shuttlecock and make each one of to hit lob and take netting, so they will learn the footwork backward and forward, then you teach them the footwork as well before you start to give them the game pattern. Ok, these kind of training will lead them into fun but good technique lesson too. Remember, streching before and after training is very important, so their body wont hurt after the training.

Ok, if you have any question, would be better if you email to (deleted)

Regards,
    Marcia

#2 marcia, Jul 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2009
  3. Skanbuzz

Skanbuzz Regular Member

Construction
    Hi,

I think this should be a good thread.
    I too am interested in games, practices, videos, discussion and suggestion on training/encouraging children.

There are so many good coaches around the world coaching players who already know how to play but the basic.. getting young ones to be interested in this lovely sport and getting them to hit the shuttles (whether it is over head or hand/eyes coordination), correct movement (footwork to have good grounding and injury prevention) and interest (games) is just as important.

I wish there are more sharing among world badminton expertise in this game.
    I like videos because just words description can be misinterpreted and so failure.

What do you all think?

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    The difference is, the original poster seems will only be in charge of 1 week, for a group mostly will never play competitive badminton. Therefore, is there really a need (or time allowed) to really go into proper training? :rolleyes:

5. Skanbuzz

Skanbuzz Regular Member

Construction
    Hi,

Would anyone like to contribute and share their experiences/exercises/procedures in organising games, basic training etc for children to strt this sport?

Ultimately, whether it be 1 day(eg. talent spotter), 1 week (summer /holiday camp) or try session, or fun badminton in junior club, the purpose is to let the children enjoy and encoarage them to take up this lovely sport.
    It does not matter whether they can play or will take up the sport or not but maybe once tried, they will continue to use the sport as an exercise so(improve health or reduce weight) or be a future empire, or rackets designer etc.

In a lot of school, the sporty children get a lot of attention and encouragement. There are even Sport Acadamy School with award for student who do well in sports but what about teh otehrs, those who are overweight, skinny, weak, wear glasses or lack of coordinations are left to fend for themselves so ended up no exercise and so it is an inwards spiral into nowhere.

I would like to see them enjoy whether it be league level or just knock around for fun. Badminton is a very enjoyable game. I hate to see discouraged on any children just because they are not of the right shape or race or ability.

What do you think, coaches?

6. marcia

marcia New Member

coach
    We are professional badminton trainer in Jakarta. We do advance lessons for those who has set an carreer objective in badminton (to achieve indonesian district championship or to be number one at school, etc), but we also coach for those who play badminton for fun (children and adult - we call it autodidact).. it has different penetration in training. First, put in mind do not make them suffer in physical training, but give them practically technique, and give them "homework" for example hitting shuttle to the wall, using weight racquet for wrist strengthen, ask them to do backward and forward footwork at anywhere they can. Our kids participants are joined with various objective, loosing weight, positive activity, etc.. So, we need to prepare training program that really easy to do yet progressed in basic learning within a short period. So they will not get frustated but enjoy. Even, here in Jakarta, we have autodidact tournament, so they will have a chance to try their playing.

7. Skanbuzz

Skanbuzz Regular Member

Construction
    Hi marcia,

Thanks for the reply and your generous, honest contribution.
    I am very jealous of what you have got and the vast knowledge you have.
    You have programme not just for ellite players(those who wish to be No1, county or regional or national or pro players) but also programmes for the average players (club, family) and for the might pick up the sport once tried (the average or below average sporty person).

I am glad that you have given me (maybe others as well) what can be done to promote this lovely game. I hope you will continue to share with us your experiences and knowledge. Tell me more about this "autodidact".

Ignoring the culture language and race differences, would you give more details or introduce us to your set up? or maybe links to useful website etc. I am very interested in the Asian promotion of this sport.
    I am very glad that the Asian have constantly produced good players with very good attitute towards the games and impecable behaviour too on and off the court, not to mention generous and friendly.
    I am ashame that the western attitute had been so different and at times, when I see some of them behaving towards their Asian players here, I am so ashame, I do not know where to hide myself. They are selfish, discriminating, self centred, unwilling to share, only win matters to them and sometimes unsportman behaviour. Some chose to hide these ill wanted and practice it in silent (due to the discrimation legislations here). I have seen coach taht want to associate with good players only and pick and chose who they wish to help. (If you happen to not fit in then you hardly receive any attention) I call this glory seeker. Badminton England have a policy of no discrimation but I wonder how they monitor this policy and what they would do if found to have infringed.

I am in a club where we are setting up a junior section. I wish to encourage more badminton players to join. I wish to encourage those who even normally do not play sport to have a go. (In school they call them nerd, fat-so etc). I wish to have games, basic technique development, drills, practice exercises etc to encourage them and yet keep their interest. Who knows, maybe it will help them towrads a good health lifestyle or just enjoy among friends.

I wish to thank you in advance for sharing and congradulate you for your effort in promoting this lovely sport.

I hope other coaches who share the same interest will participate and share their experiences too and hopefully this place can be used to help each others.

8. Grumpy

Grumpy New Member

I thought that I would resurrect this thread to see if there were any more ideas for training children.

9. tipper1

tipper1 Regular Member

sales
    I too think this is a very important area for the sport, especially throughout the western world, where we must compete with the more high profile sports football, rubgy, GAA (in Ireland).
    There are kids who are naturally athletic and some who will be instantly good at any sport but usually these particular kids to not continue playing badminton. We need to have a way of promoting the sport to some of the less sportingly ambitious and some of these kids may be surprised at the interest they could posess for the game.
    The more we get trying out the game the better.

What I have found is the younger kids will take some time and real effort to get them to a stage where they can actually play a game or even have a rally. In this way some enjoyable games which can incorporate some hitting, footwork, technique and almost sneak the skills into these games.
    However throughout the whole of the internet I have found very liitle to help in my search and would greatly appreciate any help.

I have come across a great resource in www.bestoncourt.com but I found this is more technical than fun and is too expensive.

I suppose you have to envy the talent and technical skills of the players in Asia and Denmark but I would love to see Badminton Ireland, England, Wales & Scotland coming together to produce some helpful videos to try bring the game to as many kids as possible and give us interested players & coaches the resources to grow the numbers in our clubs and counties,etc.
    Anyone out there with any advice it is greatly appreciated.

#9 tipper1, Oct 29, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2010