General Etiquette for Watching Tournament

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Suang Lim, Dec 18, 2022.

1. Suang Lim

Suang Lim New Member

I am going for the Malaysia Open 2023 in Jan. Since this is the first time I am attending a badminton tournament, can I know if there are any unspoken rules to follow? Thanks in advance!

kwun and Cheung like this.
  2. phihag

phihag Regular Member

Not really:
    • The big one: Disable the flash on your camera. Flash is useless anyways there, but your camera may be tricked by the dark surroundings and their contrast to the bright lights on the court.
    • Keep to the assigned lanes for the public. Don't try to visit the player's changing rooms or so. (At a tournament this size there will be security anyways.)
    • Don't try to distract the players by shouting, laser pointers, etc. during the rally. At many tournaments there is silence and only quiet talk during the rally, but the Malaysia Open is pure mayhem anyways, so that doesn't really apply here.
    So in other words, use common sense and you'll be fine.

jyeung, Chhow, kwun and 1 other person like this.
  3. Budi

Budi Regular Member

This is one of many thing that many pros player loved & waited when they perform on Asia:D the shout, the cheers, ea...ea...ea....:p

But agree the most crucial thing are no flash, no laser. Slight disturbance would affect player performance & we are talking a god vs god here. Slighy mistake makes huge different.

Cheung likes this.
  4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    At Malaysian Open, make as loud a noise as you like! The louder the better!

Even better bring a drum and bang it to support the players.

Last time, there was a guy who would blow a horn every so often and then everyone would chant loudly (or shout). It was a great atmosphere. I walked round to another section and was watching the matches. Suddenly, the horn blew right next to me and I nearly jumped up in surprise. It was really funny.

Enjoy yourself!

BadmintonDave, jyeung and kwun like this.
  5. Chhow

Chhow New Member

Thanks for the tips! I really hope that I can attend the tournament in Malaysia and remain a good fan. No flash, I got it!

6. Magwitch

Magwitch Regular Member

Nice - I just heard the Malaysia Open next year has been upgraded to a Super 1000!