German Open 2008: Day 6/Finals

Discussion in 'German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2008' started by madbad, Mar 1, 2008.

1. madbad

madbad Regular Member

OK, here we go:

Mixed Doubles
    Yong Dae Lee/Hyo Jung Lee over Hanbin He/Yang Yu
    A really tough one to call. On one hand you have the CHN pair that took care of business ruthlessly against Han/Hwang in the SF. On the other you have the irrepressible LYD, who can change a match all by himself. Let's see who's nerves holds best. I have a sneaky feeling LYD will be the difference maker.

Womens Singles
    Jae Youn Jun over Yihan Wang.
    I must admit Wang Yihan is scarily good and that my beloved :)p) Jun will have her plate full. It will be close and a test of nerves at the end game. I think Jun's experience will see her lift the trophy... just.

Mens Singles
    Hyun Il Lee over Sho Sasaki. As well as Sasaki has played, he hasn't come across a player the calibre of Lee. Lee won't take anything for granted and I expect to see a thoroughly professional display from him.

Womens Doubles
    Kyung Won Lee/Hyo Jung Lee
    over Miyuki Maeda/Satoko Suetsuna
    Lee/Lee came from a game down to eliminate Gao Ling/ZTT. This is a testament to the Korean fighting spirit. Maeda/Suetsuna created their own upset and I have to say I am impressed. Lee/Lee should have enough to handle the Japanese and justify their #1 seeding.

Mens Doubles
    Jae Sung Jung/Yong Dae
    over Lee/Jae Jin Lee/Ji Man Hwang
    I wonder if this will be an exhibition match or will the coach let 'm have a go at each other. If it's the latter, I think it'll be close than many think. If it's the former, then sadly, I suspect LYD/JJS will be "picked" to win. In any case, it's always better to have LYD on your side ;)

Yup, that's right, I'm calling for a Korean sweep. :eek::eek:

2. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    It seems that KOR MD is following China's pattern....WO..:D:D:D saving energy for LYD tomorrow....

3. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Can you believe it, I fell asleep during the live telecast of the semifinals .... :eek: Yeah, just great, for a supposedly dedicated and "neutral" badminton fan.

Must be that lousy Astro commentator, plus staying awake the previous night doing work at the office until morning.

Mixed Doubles
    Yong Dae Lee/Hyo Jung Lee over Hanbin He/Yang Yu
    I will go for China this time, based on their previous win in the Malaysian Open final. If Lee Hyo Jung pulls up her socks, Korea can turn the tables.

Womens Singles
    Jae Youn Jun over Yihan Wang.
    Jun to take it, but Wang Yihan's progress shows that she's ready to displace Jiang Yanjao and be the backup for the current CHN top 4 (XXF, ZN, ZL, LL). Groomed to take over ZN's place. 3 setter very possible.

Mens Singles
    Hyun Il Lee over Sho Sasaki.
    Lee all the way ..... Sasaki will be kept guessing.

Womens Doubles
    Kyung Won Lee/Hyo Jung Lee
    over Miyuki Maeda/Satoko Suetsuna
    Lee/Lee favoured, but expect the toughest of challenges from Maeda and Suetsuna. Probably the most difficult JPN pair for the Koreans to play against. JPN will be encouraged with last week's win although KOR fielded scratch combination.

Mens Doubles
    Jae Sung Jung/Yong Dae over Jae Jin Lee/Ji Man Hwang
    Lee/Hwang to win and gain more Olympic points.

4. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

Let's hope the MD final will not bring us a Walkover. :cool:

5. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

does anyone knows wat time astro will broacast live?

6. badMania

badMania Regular Member

My picks:

Men's Singles
    Sho Sasaki [13] vs Lee Hyun Il [2] -- the Japanese player created upsets over upsets, since his win over Andre Kurniawan Tedjono on Thursday :cool: I pick Lee to win his 2nd titles in a row.

Men's Doubles
    Jung Jae Sung/Lee Yong Dae [1] vs Lee Jae Jin/Hwang Ji Man [2] -- all-KOR Final....Jung/Lee to win their first title in a year.

Women's Singles
    Wang Yihan vs Jun Jae Yun [2] -- Jun to win!

Women's Doubles
    Lee Kyung Won/Lee Hyo Jung [1] vs Satoko Suetsuna/Miyuki Maeda [4] -- Lee/Lee to pick their first title in quite a long time.

Mixed Doubles
    He Hanbin/Yu Yang [1] vs Lee Yong Dae/Lee Hyo Jung [4] -- tough to call...the key player will be Lee Yong Dae. If he can play like against the INA pair in the Korea Open Final, this pair should have a chance. But, He/Yu are on a roll right now.

7. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

He/Yu won the MAS final using a few perfect serves in a row. Let's see whether Lee/Lee can deal with it this time.

8. sumbadder

sumbadder Regular Member

Men's Singles
    Sho Sasaki [13] vs Lee Hyun Il [2] -- I'd like to see Sho take this because he's actually gotten this far but Lee is definitely in a different echelon. Lee ftw!

Men's Doubles
    Jung Jae Sung/Lee Yong Dae[1] vs Lee Jae Jin/Hwang Ji Man [2] -- World #6 vs World #10. The lower ranked pair to either win or "win".

Women's Singles
    Wang Yihan vs Jun Jae Yun [2] -- Jun to win handily or the CHN debutante will make a ruckus and stretch the Korean and maybe even topple her. Kinda begs the question of where Wang Lin is and if she could have made a difference here.

Women's Doubles
    Lee Kyung Won/Lee Hyo Jung [1] vs Satoko Suetsuna/Miyuki Maeda [4] -- If the Lee's don't win this for whatever reason, I think their confidence would completely implode given how long they've gone without touching a gold especially after coming close many times. That said, this Japanese pair has proven to be a huge dark-horse, toppling Vita/Lilyana at MO and a few other unexpected results earlier. They might just be able to pull it off.

Mixed Doubles
    He Hanbin/Yu Yang [1] vs Lee Yong Dae/Lee Hyo Jung [4] -- Yu Yang is definitely the star of the CHN pair, utilizing great defense and strong anticipation skills at the net. If she keeps the Koreans scrambling then the title will be CHN's.

9. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Wang Lin has fallen waaaaay down the CHN depth chart. She's no where on the CHN radar as far as legit successors for their current queens go. As you can see, Wang Yihan is the flavour of the month. With the CHN badminton factory, they can pick and choose ruthlessly. One slip and you're on the back burner. And she showed so much promise only a couple of years ago. :(

10. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

I didnit follow Ferman Open until today.....Korean have really dominated this tourney......and will participates in all the finals.....This is the first time Korean be so dominant ...and seems like going to take over from China...GL/ZTT also lost...in Semi....

11. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Yes, but this is Korea's first team and the dominant players of China, Malaysia and Denmark have given this non-SS German Open a miss to concentrate on the forthcoming AE! :)

12. sumbadder

sumbadder Regular Member

That's lame. I remember a couple months ago she almost took out ZN at the China Open. I guess that's the peril of being in such a huge pool to sink or swim in though. Hopefully she makes a comeback though. I guess we'll start seeing more of the younglings being sent out with the end of the Olympics so who knows.

13. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Yeah, post Olympics is probably a good time to start another dominating 4-year program for CHN WS. ZN will definitely be done. Not sure if they'll keep Jiang - she's fighting for her life on the team IMHO. Lu Lan is a better prospect than Jiang. Wang Yihan has been widely touted to inherit one of the available spots. Of the seniors, XXF and ZL are safe.

14. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

Yes,...of course.....i can see players like LYD/LHJ and LHI are on fire.......and they are the players to watch...in coming AE..:cool:

15. apontoh

apontoh Regular Member

Yep, by the end of the year, CHina will have XXF, ZN, ZL, LL, WYH, possibly JYJ, all in the top 10 of the world, a scary thought.:eek:

16. Louisa

Louisa Regular Member

don't forget, they have a big big pool of talents....

17. Jessica

Jessica Regular Member

Student
    Miao...Still stay at home like yesterday???Today no need maggi mee already...:D:DI am so tired after the entire day driving lesson...I don't know i will pass my driving test or not..Sigh...:(:eek::rolleyes:

18. Louisa

Louisa Regular Member

Yes, at home. Driving is an enjoyable task, if you don't believe me, then you shud consult our Kitten:p

If u wanna bring me out when i visit u, u better pass the test....:D

19. Jessica

Jessica Regular Member

Student
    Oh no..Don't give me stress..I will try my best..Where is lengzai robin???:D:D:rolleyes:

20. Louisa

Louisa Regular Member

He is here, praying hard for his 2 paws...or may be, go cook maggi mee:D