GGBC2 - Emeryville, CA

Discussion in 'Golden Gate Badminton Club ( GGBC ) (CLOSED)' started by jump17, Jun 23, 2007.

1. jump17

jump17 Regular Member

According to Mike, GGBC is opening another branch in Emeryville, near Ikea.

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    interesting... let me ask Mike about it next time i see him.. ;)

3. monto

monto Regular Member

According to http://badminton.berkeley.edu/index.shtml the new branch will be at:

4230 Hubbard Street
    Emeryville, CA 94608

Right off the Bay Bridge, close to both Berkeley and Oakland

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yup. i talked to Mike today and he confirmed the rumor. Mike is very excited about the new gym, whose opening date will be.... soon. ;)

BC will be there during opening, should be very exciting!

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    this is a photo of GGBC2:

Attached Files:

• g2.jpg
      g2.jpg
      File size:
      80 KB
      Views:
  6. bad4life

bad4life Regular Member

Wow!! This place looks big. Does anyone know how many courts it will be? This is definite an exciting time for badminton players in the bay area. There are so many places to go to play. I can still remember when the only place I could go to play was high school gym. I just hope that supplies don't outpace demands which could hurt business. It would be sad if gym has to be closed because not enough players attend.

7. jump17

jump17 Regular Member

It will also have 8 courts.

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    talked to Mike on Tuesday when i was at GGBC1 (why was he playing badminton and not working on the new gym?!?)

Mike said the new gym willl be very nice and work is going well. he doesn't have a opening date but i am sure it will be worth the wait knowing the high level of standard Mike works with.

9. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm..

..from the pic, which one is the building, kwun??...is it the entire big square building on the right side?? and if it'll only have 8 courts, then wow, what will the rest of the space be used for??..:confused::p

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    it's the big square thing. but they only occupy part of the building.

i have yet to go visit... :(

11. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Well..

..i guess, if it's the big square building and they(GGBC2) only occupy part of the building, then i suppose GGBC3 and GGBC4 will occupy the rest of the building in the future??..:rolleyes::confused:;)

12. GGsally

GGsally Regular Member

Gg 2

Hello Guys,

It's nice for everyone to be buzzing about the opening of all the clubs. It really sounds electric in BC so we can only hope clubs will be popping up like tarts all over the US just like HKG is saturated with 200 clubs and been marked as the most played sport in all of HKG, more than squash and tennis :p. Make sure you tell all your friends who DON'T play to START playing so we can keep the Clubs coming!!

GGBC 2 is very interesting and will not be looking anything like GGBC 1. She is a sister club, but she has a whole different look all to herself. A total individual. GG 2 will be much more cool and independent, where as GGBC 1 is almost spa-like in it's environment, with trees rustling, the laughter of happy families, friends and individuals, and a place alot of people just kind of "hang around" even after they finish their playing. We have alot of people linger around the reception area, watching our DVD Tournaments, chatting with us, or lounging around upstairs watching TV, or the funniest I've noticed is people sitting on the bleachers for HOURS without moving! Just watching whatever action happening on C court. By far, our most popular "player watching" court.

What I've noticed in our club, and I believe the environment encourages it, is that when most our patrons first came in, no one really knew how to play, most people had no partners, NO ONE knew each other. NOW, all the players mix together and you see them all becoming friends, playing partners, and improving in one big GGBC congregation. It's GREAT to watch this happening in front of your eyes.

We hope that will happen in GGBC 2 as well and we're really excited at the prospect of meeting many East Bay patrons and hopefully some from other parts of the Bay Area will come to visit occassionally as well :D! I will try to give a verbal tour of GG 2 when completion is near, which it soon will be. I hope Kwun will find time soon to visit. Hey, Mike's waiting for your call!

We hope more GGBC babies will be born soon, but as Mike likes to say, he wants to take things one at a time, and get it RIGHT, so we will deal with our new born, get her walking, talking and rocking first!

Regards, Sally

13. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

The news sounds..

...very exciting!!...I hope and wish all the best for GGBC's owners, staffs and supporters on their new and future endeavors!! Congrats again & keep up the good work!!:cool:..
    *Good to hear from you again, Sally!! Glad you're still active & helping out GGBC!![​IMG] As you're probably busy nowadays!! Oh, btw, just wondering, will you be coming to M'sia to watch the World Championships??:p:D

14. GGsally

GGsally Regular Member

Malaysian World Champions

I am actually flying back to HKG tommorow night and going to KL on the 9th to 12th to do some work. I was invited by a Property company to promote their homes for them. I will be trying to stay behind in KL to watch the 13th so might see you there, but I need to get back to work at GG 2 as well. I will be flying back to Bay Area as soon as possible. I will be having a great lack of sleep which is the only confirmation I have of my next week schedule!:crying:.

Sally

15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    good luck to Sally in KL and have fun!

i have arranged to visit GGBC2 on wednesday. hopefully i can get some juicy pics posted here afterwards to share with you guys. this will be exciting!

16. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Off topic-YAY!!!..

...glad you'll be swinging by KL to catch a brief WC's actions, Sally!!...Hopefully, though, you can stay long enough til the Finals (19th), as i probably won't be in KL til the 16th:p..Thus, the only matches i'll catch are probably starting from the QF Round onwards...Hope to be able to greet you, if you're able to stay longer in KL!!:):cool:

17. GGsally

GGsally Regular Member

World Champ excitement

OK then. If I only catch the 13th, then we will expect you to give point by point commentary on BC then! Ha haa!! GG 2 is going to go into labor around that time, so we need to be working our butt off for the opening!

Sally

18. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    visit got postponed till Friday. so stay tuned.

too bad i am not like panda who can leave his habitat to visit others during working hours. evening scheduling is more difficult to make.

19. GGsally

GGsally Regular Member

TRIP to GG EMERY

How come my letter got posted twice???? So Embarrassing...:cool::confused:

20. GGsally

GGsally Regular Member

TRIP to GG EMERY

Oh Kwun, you are brave to go on a Friday!! Better get Mike to treat you to a Bento Box at GG 2 while you chat, munch, and "soak" it all in. Bring your racquet to have a play, although the nets are not up yet I think! Everytime I go with him, I forgot my racquet so never got a chance to play there yet:(! You will be the first GUEST to play there!!

Anyways, I don't think I can catch the games cos I talked to Lee Chong Wei yesterday and he said he's not even playing till 15th and I think Tony and Lin Dan the same. They all Bye bye bye.... Someone told me Lee's first game is with Peter Gade, whom I admire too. Ohhhh poor meee.. I don't get to see!! WAHHHHHH!!! :crying: But Mikey said he will talk to Choong Wei to see when we can get him over!!!:eek::D:p So cross fingers laaa.. :p:rolleyes:;)

Sally