Gideon Marcus Fernaldi / Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo

Discussion in 'Indonesia Professional Players' started by Espírito Santo, Apr 29, 2015.

1. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    this is why i keep saying their tokyo 2020 chances are slim. marcus is getting up there in age and wear-n-tear.

2. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Then that is too bad :)

Does Federer or Nadal have OlympicGold? I believe one of them didnt have it. Regardless of that, They are still 2 most successful tennis players. so why Mention something that is still faraway.

3. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    marcus has not displayed anything to make me believe he is someone who can dominate over a long period of years. if he had success in his early 20's it would be a different story. he is at his peak right now, yet the nagging injuries are piling up. not a good sign.

athlete's capable of long term domination are rare.

stanleyfm and Cheung like this.
  4. Griff88

Griff88 Regular Member

No need to defend all the titles, just play it safe and don't get injured... I hope they don't get the Too-Many-Superseries Disease

stanleyfm likes this.
  5. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Pain =/= injury, you know. But props to him for playing through the pain, it can be quite distracting

6. ebcd

ebcd Regular Member

now now, who said that? any source?
    It's just crazy to have that kind of target, the more so in Doubles category.

7. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

10SS is long term enough domination :) He can get injured now and dont play the match and people will still remember the pair as the most succesfull pair in Superseries.

Their unique skills of playing badminton is second to none. Kevin has the hand of thunder.

Anyway, they have won most titles in a year but people still doubt them. So whatever, no point to talk to people who are not their fans who cant even enjoy net neutrality.

People want badminton to prosper but they cant even appreciate bunch of 170 cm guys doing well in MD. dont know if they are idiot or disbeliever or just bunches of their opponent and rivals dominated forum :)

Death to badminton. Death to 107 rallies .

8. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

this is such an evil comment and its not me who said it. i showed it to my gf and her first impression is this evil. you are bad person.Hoping people dont win olympic..or just hoping he is injured.

9. Master

Master Regular Member

Marcus got his first ever SS title with Markis Kido when he was at 22 y.o (same age with Kevin's age by now).

10. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

1 year domination quite long, but cannot say much about longevity. Especially, in bringing the highest honour for Indonesian badminton (which is mainly only reflected through world championship, olympic, Asian Games, or Thomas/Sudirman Cup gold medal). They will still be seen by half-eye even by many Indonesian, if they never win any of those.

Playing in SS also has different pressure than in the majors. The next major tournaments will test them again, to really reach the status of big players in MD and to stand at the same height as Hendra/Kido, Fu/Cai, Ricky/Rexy, Candra/Tony, Park Joo Bong/Kim Moon Soo, etc.

Anyway, according to you:
    Good bye badminton then, I guess.

#510 stanleyfm, Dec 19, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
    yamsyams and Cheung like this.
  11. yamsyams

yamsyams Regular Member

I wonder if there's a limit for the hyperbole in this thread.

Most successful pair in super series. Best pair that earth has ever produced.

Next would probably be that Kevin can play 1v5 and still win.

RIP common sense.

j4ckie likes this.
  12. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    yes, the 2013 french open... and then a 2.5 year gap until 2016 india open. 30 months is an eternity in professional sports.

the traits of any long term dominant player is early & continuing success at the highest level. they start to win 'ss/p levels' @ 19 to 21 years of age, and continue to win sans gaps. he's had an historic year that has been a blast to watch, no doubt, but time is against him.
    lightning. marcus is the thunder. :D

13. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Where does it say anything about his hope though, all I can see is a pretty neutral comment. Not sure if I agree with it, but there was certainly nothing malicious about it.

14. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

They certainly won't be on Cai/Fu's level by winning a single WC title. Let them win 2-3, OG and AG Gold, then they're in the same league, although still behind by a couple majors.

15. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    you need to look for a better translator. human or software. your choice.

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Are you and your girlfriend OK? Strange choice of words to use.

17. melon94

melon94 Regular Member

I heard kevin gonna play in some exhibition in china, is that true ?

18. edogaktop

edogaktop Regular Member

I think it is just a classic case of misunderstanding! By 2020 Marcus will be old, and may not be able to stand against the test of time, especially if they keep the high pace style that makes them so different.

Moving on to a different topic: Even though this thread is a bit Kevin-oriented, I'd like to ask your opinions what Marcus contributes to the pair. Although it is obvious that he is a more powerful smasher than Kevin, there are other Indonesian players that are stronger and more explosive than him. With his rather bulky figure, he is also not the fastest (definitely not at Kevin's level!).

Would Kevin be stronger if he was paired with, let say, a traditional powerful smasher like fhf, goh v shem etc, or is Marcus his ideal partner?

My theory of his strengths (putting his chemistry with Kevin aside):
    1. Not only he is decent at the back, Marcus is a well rounded player (i.e. not special) that also can play decently in front of the net. I noticed he often tries to control the game whenever he is in front, rather than the classic rear player's strategy of waiting his turn to switch to the back again. This may keep the pace high for the entire game and puts them in advantage.
    2. He is more traditional, both in his play style and demeanor, and more experienced. Unlike Kevin, he always makes "the right choice" (you know.. like never cross a cross). By doing so, he allows Kevin to be more experimental and play his "high risk high reward" game.
    3. This is just my speculation, but maybe he is the only one that can stand Kevin's eccentricities?

What do you guys think?

Sent from my SM-N930F using Tapatalk

19. melon94

melon94 Regular Member

I remember steen pedersen once said (at the australia open last year I think) that as good as sukamuljo is, sometimes he can be difficult to be playing with, because of his style of play and unusual choice of shot. so props to gideon.

#519 melon94, Dec 19, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  20. ericksakti

ericksakti Regular Member

well I think Kevin has a really unique style and movement when he plays, and that really makes him enjoyable to watch. Sometimes I'm actually really surprised at what he does and when it actually works, like some of his movement is really excessive and not how normal player moves hahaha. I personally think down the road even when Marcus is older Kevin can get a new pair and still stands out.

He may not be the best player yet, but he is surely one of the most exciting and fun player to watch, as you can see from the number of discussion here, he is one of the player that gets people talking or interested about him, whether you love or hate him haha. The fact that there are a lot of people that hates him, makes me believe that he is a real threat to the MD players from the country that they support.

stanleyfm and Master like this.