Gideon Marcus Fernaldi / Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo

Discussion in 'Indonesia Professional Players' started by Espírito Santo, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Maskey

Maskey New Member

Great Achievement for Sukamuldjo and Gideon ! Congratulations !
    I think They would beat all of my favourite men's double pairs in their respective prime ; Mike Tredget/Martin Dew, Steen Faldberg/Jesper Helledie, Park Jo Bong/Kim Moon Soon, Tjun Tjun/Johan Wahyudi, Li Yong Bo/Tian Bing yi, Ricky/Rexy, etc. LOL

2. Master

Master Regular Member

Very well said.

Kevin with "more risk" shot choice, need a partner with safe and traditional style to balance their playing together. But I think the experimental playing of Kevin is quite limited now compare to his playing in 2016, so it should be no problem anymore with whom Kevin will partnering with as far as he could follow the rhythm.

Then I remember when Kevin partnering with Wahyu Nayaka at Indonesia Masters 2016. This player could be a choice to be the next Kevin's partner in the future. Wahyu Nayaka seems to be able to stay with Kevin's speed although he's also a bulky player.

When Marcus could stay in guarding the front court, Kevin have improved a lot at back and starting to have more powerful smash than before although it's not as good as Marcus' smash.

edogaktop and melon94 like this.
  3. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Of course. I know the opponent of other countries just want to discredit others achievements especially when kevin is the standout.. and yeah, there are 1000 and 1 ways or one thousand and one ways to discredit others achievement.

There are thousand and one ways to discredit LinDan, ChenLong / Leechongwei achievements. One way is they just play at lousy eras where nobody is as good as them.

4. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Then why CaiFu only won 14 titles? my impression is they are just lucky at WC.

Why not ask CaiFu to return and play against KevinGideon and see who is better?

miksss likes this.
  5. melon94

melon94 Regular Member

lol I love kevin/gideon but please stop it, they're not even better than ahsan/setiawan yet...let alone the legendary cai/fu.

you can't be lucky winning 4 WC and 1 OG titles, just stop.

#525 melon94, Dec 20, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
    stanleyfm and yamsyams like this.
  6. melon94

melon94 Regular Member

not many players can win 1 WC title...let alone 4.

I'm hoping kevin/gideon can actually shine in big events like cai/fu rather than collecting all these ss titles like lyd.

7. r3v0lv3r

r3v0lv3r Regular Member

Hi All.. just joined the forum and stumble upon this interesting topic.

My take on Kevin/Marcus, let's just appreciate them as the number 1 ranked players in the MD circuit today shall we.
    And I do agree with several others here, they will need to show this consistency, at minimum for the coming year, before we can truly assess whether they are one of the greats or just a flash in the pan.
    Next year their opponents would have learnt more about them, strategized on how to counter their tactics and stifle their fast paced style.
    We need to see this pair evolve and truly dominate the court and opponents, before elevating them to legendary status.

I see that this will mostly depend on Kevin adding that little bit of consistency to his unpredictability (if that makes sense) and for Marcus to continue improving on the front court (which to be fair he already show that he is this year).
    One thing that you can't deny though, is that they are an exciting pair to watch, no matter the opponent nor the occasion.

2020 is still a bit far, circumstances can change. New opponents will emerge. Kevin will be more mature, at the same time Marcus is also getting on (29 is a good age though, still near his prime I would guess).
    Indonesia will be wise to keep one eye on Kevin's next potential partner.

Master, stanleyfm, visor and 2 others like this.
  8. LjS4

LjS4 Regular Member

why all these chinese pair keep playing the fast and furious style against this indonesians ? why not just lifting high against them and play defensive first ? i mean chai/biao beat them in wbc this year by using that tactics. this indonesian pair isn't as dangerous when you slow down the tempo and just play the high lift.

9. r3v0lv3r

r3v0lv3r Regular Member

Yup, this is also the tactic that Boe/Mogensen are using when they've managed to beat Kevin/Marcus. Heck, even Kevin/Marcus adopt this against Kamura/Sonoda in the SS Final. The problem is, that this is easier said than done.
    Lifting high can only be done so much, until your defense eventually got broken down from repeated attacks (unless your defense is flawless). Also, the fact that they've used this against Kamura/Sonoda, indicates that they understand this tactic well and most likely would have devised their own counter by trying to up the tempo and/or forcing a flat game through shot selection and placement.

10. r3v0lv3r

r3v0lv3r Regular Member

On a another note, has Chai Biao/Hong Wei retired from the international circuit? Haven't heard their names for sometime now.

11. melon94

melon94 Regular Member

I think hong wei has indeed retired, not sure about chai biao though.

12. kaffars

kaffars Regular Member

Geologist
    Indeed if Marcus was good and knows Kevins game. Kevin wouldn't be able to play as freely as he can.

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Of course. Of course. And Kevin and Marcus were 'unlucky' at the 2017 World Championships. Of course of course. Still got some way to go to prove themselves. Just like most other top doubles pairs, need to time to nail down the proof. There is nothing 'evil'

yamsyams likes this.
  14. ebcd

ebcd Regular Member

Wahyu Nayaka was born 1992, only one year different from Gideon (born 1991), so no, I don't think he is the best choice when the time comes.

15. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Your reaction was weirdly defensive-aggressive when no offense was given, I think that's why Cheung asked. Read that post again, there was no discrediting or attacks of any kind in it, he just expressed his opinion that Gideon won't be able to keep his current level until 2020.
    Personally, I don't think you can make an accurate guess about that at this point, but I'd say they won't be able to win a lot of titles once Gideon's athletic level drops - it's his main (and imop, only) strength and he relies on it quite heavily. I could be wrong though, Fu developed into a very well-rounded player late in his career so it's not impossible for Gideon to do the same, I just don't think it's likely given his relatively weak technique.

16. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

That's why they won 4, an Olympic Gold and Silver and an AG Gold...? Yeah they were just lucky. 2 All England titles as well, just luck. What a ridiculous statement. And you complain about people discrediting others :D
    Nobody said Kevin/Gideon won't ever achieve similar things, they just haven't done so yet. As of now, Cai/Fu are still arguably the GOAT, and Kevin/Gideon are missing a lot of achievements to be even considered. That is not at all surprising as they are a relatively young partnership and afaik only played one WC, lots of opportunities left for them to prove themselves.

17. melon94

melon94 Regular Member

just a little correction, cai/fu hasn't win AG gold medal...that's the only major that they're missing. but who cares I guess, their 4 WC titles and 2 OG medals (1 gold and 1 silver) already put them as the GOAT pair.

18. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

Another correction, they only have 1 OG gold. It is Fu who has 2 golds with Zhang Nan

nevermind, I was reading it wrong

19. melon94

melon94 Regular Member

No one said they have 2 OG golds..

stanleyfm likes this.
  20. badlove

badlove Regular Member

Court Cowboys
    "Minions have great fighting spirit, mental and motivation. I think that's the key. They well reminded me of their senior Candra/Tony. Most importantly we will have to be careful with injuries (for facing big tournaments)." Coach Herry IP