Gideon Marcus Fernaldi / Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo

Discussion in 'Indonesia Professional Players' started by Espírito Santo, Apr 29, 2015.

1. r3v0lv3r

r3v0lv3r Regular Member

Not sure if you've seen Tony Gunawan playing. To me, I think he has that tiny bit of extra level, even above Hendra.
    Heck, he won the WC with Howard freaking Bach. He's the type of player who will bring the very best of his partner.

But wholeheartedly agree with you, in terms of entertainment level, none can match Kevin :D.
    I think he's like the MD version of LD at his pomp, in terms of being an entertainer.

2. edogaktop

edogaktop Regular Member

Will try to find that match, thanks.

I have watched several of his games, and I always come up with the conclusion that he is still at least one level below Setiawan/Zhang Nan in terms of front court game. Maybe I have been watching the wrong games.

Agreed on Kevin being the most exciting player. On the other hand, it is very frustrating when he does not find his "groove" and - instead of sticking to a more conventional style - moves around the court in a chaotic manner, and often unnecessarily takes Marcus's shots (and fails). But when he does find it, the game flow becomes so exciting that even the commentators often cannot hide their excitements. I always find it amusing when that happens.

I disagreed on Hendra being the most complete player though, in my opinion the most complete player (skill-wise) still competing now would be Zhang Nan. If only Liu Cheng is not holding him back!

3. edogaktop

edogaktop Regular Member

Hmmm Tony Gunawan... Interesting. Will watch one of his games too later, thanks. Any specific game that you would recommend?

Sent from my SM-N930F using Tapatalk

4. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

and I'm not saying you have to win titles just because you are entertaining

But there seems to be direct correlation with that. If you can play exciting brands and win titles , its a plus.

Afterall what is more important is for BWF to popularize the sport. Thats why they always put KevinGideon match on tv court. We can find this of value to the sport. HugeValue. Maybe in future we can see another 2 170cm guys dominate. Great for the sports.

5. melon94

melon94 Regular Member

I don't think hendra is the most complete player, like steen pedersen said...his defense is pretty weak, that's why tbh/hendra partnership struggle a bit because hendra not used to playing with a partner who like to lift the shuttle.

I'd take tony gunawan over hendra if we talk about overall skills, I think zhang nan is better than both though.

#685 melon94, Dec 21, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  6. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    i believe he will always be somewhat erratic. higher risk shot making is susceptible to more errors. kevin seems to instinctively go for the risky flashy shot. it's his style and i don't think he could change it if he wanted to. if he did he wouldn't be kevin sanjaya sukamuljo.

7. r3v0lv3r

r3v0lv3r Regular Member

I would say the finals of the 2005 WC where Tony/Howard played against Chandra/Sigit is a very good example of how Tony controlled the match and setup his partner to basically deliver Badminton it's biggest shock ever.
    But you can really watch any other match, be it with Halim, Chandra, Sigit and you'll see quality oozing out of his racket and movement.

The thing that amazed me about Tony is that, it seems his brain is working overtime and he ends up at the right position with the right shot most of the time. He does not have the biggest smash or the fastest movement/reflex, but his brain power is truly amazing.
    If you're a player who lacks athleticism, Tony is a great player to model your play of.

stanleyfm, melon94 and Cheung like this.
  8. r3v0lv3r

r3v0lv3r Regular Member

Yeah.. was thinking this as well.. will he still be Kevin if he avoided those risky flashy shots to get more consistency. The best is that if the can took those risky flashy shots consistently well.. :D:cool:

stanleyfm likes this.
  9. ngaceng

ngaceng New Member

fu/zhang won olympic gold 1 year ago. not 10 years ago

why they can't beat minions this year? too old?

oh, zhang beat minions once at denmark open final 2017 when marcus had shoulder injury

------

tony gunawan's wc title with howard bach is questionable

candra wijaya (sigit's partner) prefered tony who won, not himself

this make sigit budiarto angry

cmiiw

------

player who has similar shots to kevin is sigit budiarto, kevin's coach at club

even indonesia tv commentator, former badminton player yuni kartika says that

cmiiw

10. r3v0lv3r

r3v0lv3r Regular Member

C'mon man, that is just not right. And I'm correcting you here.
    Chandra is a one of the greatest MD player. Not some small minded person with no notion of professionalism.

And you can see Sigit's influence in Kevin indeed. I just hope he does not inherit Sigit's flip flopping performance level.
    Also I hope Kevin stays humble and keeps on improving himself.

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    The gold standard is Tony Gunawan. The guy just oozes class. It was a pity he left PBSI. I was watching one of his comeback matches in the HK Open and he was playing with Minarti Timur. When their match and court was announced, all the pros (from different countries) in the stadium got up and changed their seats to get closer to watch his match. Those people in Los Angeles are so lucky to have him.

Could Kevin ever reach Tony's stature?

stanleyfm likes this.
  12. r3v0lv3r

r3v0lv3r Regular Member

Minarti Timur... now that is a name that I don't hear being mentioned very often. I remember her partnership with Trikus fondly.
    It's really a pity that they lost that 2000 OG gold. After the 1st set, I thought that, here we go, another gold for INA :(.
    On Tony, it is indeed a pity that he left for the USA, but I think he cited family and study as his primary reason, so respect to him.
    He could've achieved much more had he stayed.

On Kevin's chances, I'm sure he has it to be as great of a player as Tony was, however I do think that it will depend on who his next partner(s) will be and to a certain degree how he can adapt his play going forward.
    I don't think Kevin will be able to maintain his level of speed and reflex as he advances in years (naturally), and he won't be able to rely on this qualities so much in the future.
    Dare I say, that the next 1-2 years will probably his peak years with the current qualities that made him exceptional (speed and reflex), after which they will start to decline.
    Compared to Tony, who as I've stated, never rely too heavily on his physical attributes.. this will be Kevin's biggest challenge as he evolves going forward as a player.

stanleyfm, samkool and visor like this.
  13. LjS4

LjS4 Regular Member

damn what a player zhang nan must be then, at the age of 27 he still so fast...at least his racquet skills.

14. r3v0lv3r

r3v0lv3r Regular Member

Zhang Nan is just a smart player. Speed can be pretty deceptive. If you always stand at the right place at the right time, it looks like that you're faster than you really are.

My point is that, I'm not saying that Kevin will become a slowpoke, but he will surely be slower than he is today.
    And if that split second of speed/reflex difference which is what is making him great today, then he will need to think how to compensate for their inevitable loss.

stanleyfm, samkool and melon94 like this.
  15. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Well CaiYun can stay quick until 30.

16. r3v0lv3r

r3v0lv3r Regular Member

I'm sure Cai Yun is not as fast as he was in his mid 20's. But what he did gain is maturity in his play through experience. Anticipation and positioning, as well as tactical understanding, that's what he has gained through the years. Plus he took good care of his body and adapted his game. Look at Boe/Mogensen for the same example. I'm sure they are not as fast as they were in their 20's.
    This is what I call as players evolving. Players who can't evolve will surely be left behind.

Now, I'm sure Kevin is a smart player, so I expect him to evolve as well, but sometimes you just don't know with these type of super exciting, flashy/flair player. They tend to rely on their natural gifts too much, and think they can rely on those traits forever.
    Case in point: Taufik Hidayat (who I think is second to none in terms of technique, but lacks dedication and can't adapt his game)

stanleyfm, melon94, edogaktop and 2 others like this.
  17. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Also hope he doesnt follow Sigit's sloppy doping practice

18. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Be sure to watch the 2009 WC final too if you can. Until 2010 LYD was an absolute menace, and I think he had his peak with JJS. 2010 HK Open final is also great to watch, and 2010 Korea Open should also be good. 2012 Korea Open as well iirc, anf they destroyed Cai/Fu in the 2012 AE final...
    2011 WC matches are good, although not LYD's best, but the 2011 WC MS and MD matches have some of the best production and are among the most enjoyable matches for me to watch as a result. Also pretty enjoyable matches, lots of smashes, less service situation focus than these days.
    Oh, and the 2010 AE XD stuff is cool too. ZN won it as a qualifier and played LYD and Natsir on the way to win it.

Another cool match to watch is Cai/Fu vs Gunawan/Wijaya at the 2005 or 2006 AE (or was it 2007?). Some vintage Fu/Cai and a still fit TG, very enjoyable.

Edit: I think its the 2011 HK Open, not 2010.

#698 j4ckie, Dec 22, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
    yamsyams, melon94 and edogaktop like this.
  19. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Almost the same as saying Taufik>LD, pretty ridiculous. Setiawan won the WC with Ahsan which is impressive, but 1 OG medal compared to 3 (2 of them Gold) is just too big of a difference. He had worse luck with his partners though, playing until 2012 with Markis 'The gut' Kido mustve been tough.

20. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

So funny man you come to indonesia room and till you die you say chinese player is better.

Well you can say that in their room. The fact is nobody cares. It just shows what it means.

if OG is what makes FHF is better than HS then that is up to you.. but even Fu doesnt have AsianGames medal .. That in itself is too far of a different compared to 3 medals by HS.

and to compare the number it since they both already have Olympic is low by you.

Even the blind can see LinDan better than taufik , its just comparison that dont make sense.

However no MD player is better than Kevin.