Goh V Shem/Tan Wee Kiong

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by xsakurax, May 25, 2014.

1. London_Player

London_Player Regular Member

admin
    I don't under how this pair is still rank quite high, even though they have won a single tournament since winning Silver in Rio Olympics, last year.

The pair is very disappointing with their current high ranking. I think they lost their hunger and desire to be the best, as they got the Silver, now they're thinking of retirement with lots of goodies and gifts they received from their government, following their Olympic Silver.

2. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Simple. With the current ranking system, as long as they make it into enough SS QFs or maybe even SFs, they're pretty much guaranteed to be top 20 easily.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

3. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

You are wrong on this one.
    I heard that they train very hard for each and every tournament this year.
    Anyway, the real reason is when they get on court, they make too many mistakes and very passive.
    How about you see their match vs KOR pair at WC, and count how many mistakes they made.

4. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

Especially since they won 11,000 point Denmark Open and Dubai Finals.

Ch1k0 likes this.
  5. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

Well, I read online that a decision will be made today, whether to split or stay.
    Apparently, Cheah Soon Kit will have a meeting with Morten Frost to decide that.

6. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Oh yeah. There were those too. Never mind. One more quarter. There rankings will probably drop by year end.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

7. racketman123

racketman123 Regular Member

Dentist in training...
    I really hope these guys come back to their best.
    They're one of the most fun pair to watch when they're playing well.

8. Master

Master Regular Member

Hmm, IMO they're look older than usual this photo:

[​IMG]

BAM give V Shem-Wee Kiong time to think things over

KUALA LUMPUR: National men’s doubles shuttlers Goh V Shem-Tan Wee Kiong have been given some time to think over their future as a pair.

The duo had a meeting with doubles head coach Cheah Soon Kit and Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) technical director Morten Frost yesterday.

The meeting was held to decide on the future of V Shem-Wee Kiong after their premature exit at the World Championships in Glasgow, Scotland, last week.

The world No. 5 went down 18-21, 16-21 to scratch pair Chung Eeu-seok-Kim Duk-young of South Korea.

Soon Kit described the meeting with V Shem and Wee Kiong as “positive”, although no decision was made.

The players have been given time to mull over the two options given to them.

One is that they continue to play together, but they must accept that some changes will be made to help improve their partnership.

The other option is for them to be split up.

“The players are open to the changes, but they need time to think it over.

“It’s not a decision that can be made in a day,” said Soon Kit when interviewed yesterday.

If V Shem-Wee Kiong decide to stick together, they will probably be given a time frame to prove themselves at international tournaments.

The changes mentioned could be to their training structure.

Since Soon Kit was made head coach for the national team last month, V Shem-Wee Kiong have been training under him and their coach Jeremy Gan.

Should V Shem and Wee Kiong decide to part ways, the coaches will then have to find suitable partners for them.

It will also result in them having to withdraw from the Korean Open (Sept 12-17) and Japan Open (Sept 19-24).

http://www.thestar.com.my/sport/bad...ve-v-shemwee-kiong-time-to-think-things-over/

samkool likes this.
  9. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    playing for bam ages you. heh heh.

10. LawrenceYONG

LawrenceYONG Regular Member

Pro
    not really. ever since their fluke silver medal, these guys think so highly of themselves and spent most time in discos nightclubs instead of training.

11. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

Source please. Or I suppose this is your personal statement.

12. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    It takes two to tango. Work out the reason for discontent.

14. visor

visor Regular Member

As in any doubles pairing, reason for discontent is blaming each other for losing rallies.

Cheung likes this.
  15. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

16. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

V Shem partnered a lot of people such as Teo Kok Siang, Lim Khim Wah, Koo Kien Keat, Tan Boon Heong and latest Tan Wee Kiong... however I saw V Shem play MS during training time, he played MS quite well...
    I'll be sorry for him as he only have 2 options, either quit from BAM to go join badminton clubs (maybe go find back Lim Khim Wah), or stay in BAM and see whether partner with who...

17. visor

visor Regular Member

Problem with Goh is that his background being from singles play, his singles tendency cause him to play shots in doubles that can be disadvantageous and even dangerous to his partner. When he's disciplined in his shot selection, he's good, but when he falls back to his singles habit, then bad for the partnership. Both Steen and Gill have commented on this before.

Sure, he has a great smash, but I scratch my head at some of the shots he uses.

CIA-99 likes this.
  18. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

Lim Khim Wah is out, his serves is still bad enough for a experienced player.
    The only good player except TWK is probably Chooi Kah Ming or Teo Ee Yi.

19. Mate

Mate Regular Member

Remind me of Koo Kien Keat/Tan Boon Heong saga years ago. The problem with splitting this pair is Malaysia doesn't have good enough players to partner with Goh or Tan.
    After winning Asian Games Gold Medal in 2006, Koo/Tan was going downhill. BAM tried very hard to fix them. The result was they got nothing significant after that. To avoid same result, I think BAM should forget Goh/Tan and start nurturing new pairs.

20. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

but the bigger problem is the new pairs nowadays still unable to compete as world class beater, play at any tournaments already lose in very early rounds, let's take an example for recent tournament at Malaysia International Juniors Open...