Gosen Fan Club

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by mikomi, Apr 10, 2016.

1. visor

visor Regular Member

Hmmm, bp 305 is a bit much for my requirements. I may have to stick to my Alpha then. The Type K is even more demanding than X in terms of stiffness and head heaviness!

One of us will have to get the Type S to complete the testing...

2. lostLore

lostLore Regular Member

Interesting. Thanks for the feedback Visor and Mikomi

3. lostLore

lostLore Regular Member

Still interested in a review for the Epsilon haha

4. mikomi

mikomi Regular Member

Foreman, Slacker
    @visor
    this is kinda embarrassing, but I measured the BP on the Type X 2.0 again and it's 295mm. Oops. Weird. Still feels head heavy.

5. visor

visor Regular Member

Ugh... now to make up for that, you'll have to get the Type S.

But now, X is again on my radar!

Wanna exchange yours for my K? :)

6. mikomi

mikomi Regular Member

Foreman, Slacker
    Haha. I'm very sorry about that. But s_mair had told me a few times, BP in the end doesn't really matter. What matters is how it feels in play.

7. visor

visor Regular Member

Wanna exchange your X for my K? ;)

8. visor

visor Regular Member

Just comparing the swinging aerodynamics of the Alpha vs Type K cutting thru the air, incredibly the K swung faster with higher pitch! Despite it being 3g heavier with almost 3g more head weight?! Is that even possible?

Looks like I'll have to order a Type X then. Along with more GT5.

Now hoping for oil prices to go up so that CAD can follow too...

9. lostLore

lostLore Regular Member

I find Gosen's racquets look really attractive. Thats a plus lol...picking up a beta black version later. Lets see how it plays.

10. visor

visor Regular Member

What's your usual racket, play level, style, etc?

11. lostLore

lostLore Regular Member

I play doubles. Um prob in between high beginner and low intermediate i guess. Have always used head heavy racquents...like to play offensive. Been using zf2 4u for the past 2 years. I want to try something less demanding and faster tho. Willing to trade power for more speed and maneuvrability.

12. visor

visor Regular Member

Then maybe even consider Type K or X also. Type X is also 4U BP around 295 and fast. K would be 3U bp 302 and still quite fast.

13. lostLore

lostLore Regular Member

Found a 2nd hand black beta in great condition at a great price. If i like it, i might consider getting a customedge. Tried a onigiri recently, great racquet. But I didnt like the feel on impact...missed the solid feel of the zf2. Felt like i was hitting with nothing lol.

visor likes this.
  14. bombayhalwa

bombayhalwa New Member

Could anyone help me with some info on how Type K fares against JS 10 3U in terms of speed/maneuverability and power? I am currently using NR900, which is a wonderful piece for defending and placement, but sometimes I feel my smashes are not heavy enough from the backcourt when playing against advanced players. I can buy JS 10 3U (CH coded) for around 180USD. The Type K is around 140 USD. I really love the swiftness of my NR900 and I would like to get something more powerful without compromising too much on speed and maneuverability.

15. visor

visor Regular Member

3U JS10 would be a beastly stiff and demanding racket to wield if you're coming from NR900. You'll need to almost be a pro to handle it. Or have massive arms.

Type K Ver 2 almost feels like a BS LYD in terms of flex and head heaviness and is indeed very fast thru the air. It is quite powerful, but it feels like a singles racket as it may be a bit too much for fast doubles combat.

Your NR900 is 3U?

Also re smashing from baseline in doubles, you should know that against good defenders, you can't smash thru them. You need to work them around with smart placement and tactics. In other words, a powerful racket will not help you win against them.

#55 visor, Apr 14, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  16. bombayhalwa

bombayhalwa New Member

Thanks for the reply Visor!

Yes, my NR900 is 3U (total weight of 102 grams, BP is approx. 288-290mm) and I pretty much rely on consecutive smashing with changing angles in order to force the opponents make a mistake allowing for the front player to step in and intercept. I have never used my smashing to penetrate through the opponents' defense as I have always relied on placement and sharp angles.

The reason I am on the lookout for a meatier racket is that I have been doing some resistance-based workout that helped me improve my overall fitness level as I believe I can utilize something more demanding in fast doubles combat. I am currently living in China as I have the chance to play with some really advanced guys. On good days and depending on my partner (I don't have a permanent one), I can and I have already managed to win against the best doubles players in the badminton hall (22courts) I usually play. I have also played against other advanced players from other badminton halls as my performance is competitive enough to make them work hard for their points.

I have tried BS LYD several times but I felt it was a bit sluggish despite the power I could generate with. I have also tried JS 4U and Onigiri, but somehow they felt hollow and way too light for my liking. I also swung JS 10 3U in the local store but failed to see any significant difference in terms of weight between the 4U and 3U samples. But if the type K is faster than BS LYD I may give it a try.

17. visor

visor Regular Member

Make sure it's Ver 2 Type K.

#57 visor, Apr 15, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  18. bombayhalwa

bombayhalwa New Member

hahaha...I am still undecided. I love the visual design of JS 10. it is so neat! I can buy both, but I don't want to keep collecting rackets I don't use - I have JS Ahmad 3U in my bag (it gives me more power than NR900, but it feels sluggish in comparison) and Forza Furious, which is a wonderful racket, but I got a defective unit (something happened to the t-joint internally after the second session as the piece inside feels disconnected from the racket now) that I couldn't return because it was bought in Germany.

19. visor

visor Regular Member

Oh, but have you seen the K? It's burnished gold colour is beautiful! The photo on page 1 doesn't do it justice.

20. bombayhalwa

bombayhalwa New Member

I haven't seen it in real. The local stores carry only Li-Ning, Yonex and Victor and some cheap Chinese brands like Flex - soft as overboiled noodles:rolleyes:). By the way, do you think that type K is more demanding than ZF II 4U?