Gosen G-Tone 5

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by mikomi, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

O/T - does GT-9 have its own thread? Couldn't find one.

Just got a set in to try, so if anything of note happens I'll create one.

mikomi likes this.
  2. Stas

Stas Regular Member

Hi

I assumed you are currently purchased what you need/

But any way a few days ago i received my Gognir Alpha + G-Tone 5 strings from:http://www.trumpbadminton.se

My location is Russia, this gays send it to Germany and then I send it to Russia/

I can recommend this shop serves was very perfect.

3. dsmbooster

dsmbooster Regular Member

financial analyst
    I'VE tried g5 for the first time, everything is as described earlier by other members, except the durability, i have string on my mizuno jpx 8.0 at 23 lbs, I had about 8-9 hrs continuous playing for whole week , and I find some fraying spot like a ping-pong ball size. Compare to other my go to like bg66, ultimas,ngb98, gtone5 is less durable, but playability and tension retention is better. What do you guys think?

#83 dsmbooster, Aug 23, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  4. visor

visor Regular Member

Frying spot ping pong ball size?!? What's that?

Indeed it has good repulsion and wonderful control due to its textured surface. Tension retention is quite good too. I'm using it at 28 lbs.

Only problem I find is that nicking (for colored strings) or fraying (for white) is quite noticeable by around 10 hrs play. And that's when it starts to lose repulsion and feels slightly spongy as the strings cut into each other. By around 12-14 hrs play, I have to cut it. So it's a good tournament string, but not for the average user.

In comparison, LiNing #1 takes forever to nick, and ZM62F takes around 20 hours before showing signs of nicking.

#84 visor, Aug 23, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
    dsmbooster likes this.
  5. mikomi

mikomi Regular Member

Foreman, Slacker
    In regards to GT5's durability, I've had mixed results: it lasted a long time by the flavour dropped off. My last two times with GT5 was +20 hours, but the flavour/feel dropped off considerably much earlier, probably starting at around ~10 hours like visor said. I normally cut my strings whenever they lose a significant amount of the feel/flavour, but I purposely kept the strings on to see how durable they were. I still ended up cutting them once I hit the 20hour mark.

@visor
    Returning to badminton after a 3 week hiatus, I feel the GT5/ZM62F combo to be so delightful. Control is a lot better now that I'm used to it, the combo responds extremely well to slices. The power at 34lbs leaves something to be desired in comparison to a more sane tension of 30lbs, but the sound and feel.. I've been ruined, I don't think I'll ever be able to play with softer strings ever again. But next time I'll go GT5 @ 34lbs.

In more important news, I got 10 more packs of GT5 in pink and orange.

dsmbooster likes this.
  6. dsmbooster

financial analyst
    My string had been broken after another 1.5-2 hrs of playing,and the total time for it is 11-12 hrs. I would say the durability is not as good as bg66, ultimax or ngb98.the reason I wanted to change to this string because the price is 30% cheaper after labour, but the durability is about half life of my other favorite strings. I switched to blue colour ,see how it goes!

7. dsmbooster

financial analyst
    My string had been broken after another 1.5-2 hrs of playing,and the total time for it is 11-12 hrs. I would say the durability is not as good as bg66, ultimax or ngb98.the reason I wanted to change to this string because the price is 30% cheaper after labour, but the durability is about half life of my other favorite strings. I switched to blue colour ,see how it goes!

8. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

LN #1 is ridiculous - I had a set in at 33/34 for WEEKS and I couldn't so much as scratch it.

9. visor

visor Regular Member

@dsmbooster

Thought I'd move from the other string thread to the appropriate GT5 thread.

A reel of 200m is USD $102 at mybadmintonstore.com. http://www.mybadmintonstore.com/sho...facturers_id=12&products_id=2436#.V9nxnJ4THfs

But I see they only have white, green, orange reels. No more yellow packs. I'll be putting on the orange next wk, if it's as durable as yellow I'll be getting a reel of it.

Alternately e78.com has yellow packs.
    http://e78.us/Gosen,G-Tone-5,String,BS065

#89 visor, Sep 14, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
  10. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Just got these on my testbed BS12 at 28/30lbs. The string bed feels so tight even compared next to a fresh BG85 job at the same tension. Seems to ping at ½-1lb higher.

11. visor

visor Regular Member

Well, that's 0.65 vs 0.67mm difference.

12. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    All credit to the vectran though. It's so hard there's only that much difference too. But the feel from the GT5 fresh is wow.

13. visor

visor Regular Member

Addictive isn't it? I call it exquisite feel and orgasmic repulsion...

14. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    I'll find out tml haha. But bouncing used shuttles around at home has given me a rough idea of what to expect.

15. visor

visor Regular Member

Try out all sorts of variety of shots. You'll find the amazing feel and grip gives incredibly accurate drops, blocks, net play, and counter attack drives. Initially the stringbed may be harder than you're used to, so smashes may take some time.

16. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    I'm not worried about the string bed hardness tbh. I've been pressing it side by side with BG80 that's a couple of months old but still at about 29lbs cos I don't use it much. It's still harder than the GT5 which is fresh. Tbh the feel from GT5 is very reminiscent of VS850 which I thoroughly enjoyed over BG80 and 85.

visor likes this.
  17. visor

visor Regular Member

Definitely better than VS850 though, in terms of longer lasting feel and crisp repulsion.

Out of curiosity what frequency is your 28x30 lb pinging at?

18. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    1234Hz. 24 hours after getting off the machine.

19. visor

visor Regular Member

My 26x28 lbs is at 1290 Hz 1 day off the machine with no play time. Ended down at 1233 after 8 hrs play.

20. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Your climate is different though. It's been humid as hell lately here not to mention the heat wave after the downpours. Not to mention the heat. I notice that in dryer climates strings tend to ping higher in the same circumstances e.g. Same tension and strings.