Have you lost weight since playing?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Kamen, May 3, 2007.

1. LISHENGYAO

LISHENGYAO Regular Member

For sure, normally you'd better not go to sleep within two hours after you eat.

2. kaimera

kaimera New Member

I haven't lost weight... i think I've actually gained some weight. I dunno if it's muscle or fat though... it's probably fat since I eat a lot afterwards. mmm... food =D

3. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    Lost 10lbs in 3 weeks. It is an effective weight loss while having fun.

4. nSmash

nSmash Regular Member

Computer Engineer
    The 2 hours following intense exercise is the most crucial. In order to gain weight, one should eat during this period e.g. to bulk up on muscle, load up on protein within 2 hours after a weight-lifting session. To have the best chance of losing weight, avoid eating until after the 2 hours and then eat while watching what and how much you eat according to the advice others have given earlier in this thread.

5. 2NDround

2NDround Regular Member

You want to lose fat not muscle! If you don't eat, you will not only lose fat but muscle. Since only muscle burn energy, the less muscle you have, the less energy you will burn. You will then have to excerise more or eat less to avoid weight gain. This will then become a vicious cycle and eventually you will end up tired, weak, hungry and fat!:(

If you think this hard to believe, don't be. It is a well kept secret that make owners of sliming centres millionaires! Why do you think their customers keep on coming back?:D

6. nSmash

nSmash Regular Member

Computer Engineer
    I was just trying to highlight one of the main points. Perhaps I oversimplified my summary. Of course it won't be as simple as that but the body will burn fat before burning muscle. There is no one-size-fits-all formula because the biological makeup for each person is different. For example, it's normal to be ravenous after exercise but simply "stuffing oneself until full" means the body can simply replace all required energy from food intake and have no need to burn existing fat or anything else and it's also possible for one to overeat because there is a delay between the time the stomach is filled and the brain realizes it's time to signal a stop (particular when consuming food loaded with MSG :D). Based on this it's fully possible for some people to gain non-muscle weight (e.g. fat) despite exercising!

Consequently, it's up to each person to find out what works best for him/her. The individual's current % body fat, fat-muscle ratio, ratio between types of muscles, metabolic rate, age, gender, intensity/type/duration of exercise and other things, to some extent could affect the required diet (when to eat, how much to eat, what to eat and so on)... and this may need tweaking as the individual progresses.

For reference there are 2 kinds of fat, visible (external) and invisible (internal) so it's not safe for a person to assume that as long as they remain slim, all weight gain is simply muscle.

I am simply sharing my experience and my "belief" (method) has led me to lose 20 lbs. I feel lighter and stronger. In badminton, I'm faster and my knees feel much less strained. Perhaps my "belief" is not 100% correct and I could do better and perhaps there are trade-offs that I haven't fully realized but I've found something that at least gave me some satisfactory results.

Also, slightly off-topic, if we build the wrong kind of muscles (less useful for badminton), it'll just be extra weight to carry around the court, don't you think? Let's be careful about these things. :)

7. Kamen

Kamen Regular Member

Self-Employed
    despite playing three times a week, even when i am travelling and added an hour of jogging per week, i still weigh 78kgs! Grrr!

8. bad_tensioner

bad_tensioner Regular Member

PE Teacher
    When I went back to badminton, I weighed 185 lbs. After 3 months of playing, I went down to 140 lbs. I played everyday - 45 minutes in the morning and about 2 hours in the afternoon/evening. I also played Saturdays and Sundays about 8 hours. I often got stiff because of dehydration and fatigue. I cramped all over - legs, body, abdomen.

My eating habits did not change, except for the intake of sugar through soft drinks or soda. I drank water instead. I also did not drink beer anymore that often.

After 6 months of playing, I went down to as low as 135 lbs. I was so skinny. My face was almost skin and bones only. But, my stamina increased. I could climb about 17 to 18 floors and my heartbeat did not change nor my breath rate. After my annual physical exam, after ECG, I had a basal heartrate of 48. The doc called it bradycardia. It usually is the condition of athletes.

After 4 years of intense playing, I stopped playing this regularly because my wife said she wouldn't want me to look like an old man. I had to make myself look fat. I drank beer on a regular basis. After 3 months, I went back to 160 lbs. I only played once a week and about 1 hour.

Now, I have to maintain 150 lbs. I would play with real high intensity but I would drink beer afterwards - 4 - 5 bottles. If I don't drink beer, my weight would surely slide down. I tried it and after 1 week of playing, it slid down to 140 lbs.

This may seem unbelievable, but, it really happened.

I could also list the other benefits that I got from playing badminton. Maybe I'll do it in some other thread.

9. ae86trueno

ae86trueno Regular Member

lost 6kg in the past 4 weeks. before was playing twice a week now 5-6 a week.. after meet up couple of new group :)

10. Kamen

Kamen Regular Member

Self-Employed
    duh! then should i follow suit and play 5 or 6 times a weeK? grr!

Anyway, due to the amount of exercise that i do, i have huge appetite. i now plan to eat less but how should i go about it.

I will normally have a big plate fried noodle or rice during afternoon. I know these are high calories food. What should i eat? I want to lose weight but i want to lose it "healthyly"

Is eating 5 bananas better?

11. Kamen

Kamen Regular Member

Self-Employed
    I heard of low GI food. What are those?

12. ae86trueno

ae86trueno Regular Member

nay, don't need to play that many to lost weight.
    I think its the eating and eating pattern.
    I do exercise everyday now, but then I change my meal too.
    I eat less junk food. For me, i think mindset and goal are the most important (at least for me).
    Last month, I meet up this guy who I know from last year
    he lost 35kg since last year, though I never play with him last year but i seen him playing.
    last month meet up with him and play games. omg.. he is just like a totally different person and literally beat almost everyone.
    that sorta spark the fire again for me to go more serious in badminton, so I set my mind and goal to it and just so happen lost weight is one in the agenda too :). so end of day i think if you want to lost weight, put a goal and reason why you want to lost weight, it might motivate you. Good luck :)

13. kinoko

kinoko Regular Member

kamen - GI - glycemic index
    http://www.glycemicindex.com/
    dont eat big meal after exercise... it helps if u drink electrolyte.. taking a full cup or two of water before any meal helps too.

ko - who lost 35?...

generally losing weight is not that hard... keeping up with healthy lifestyle is harder especially with changing working schedule, exercise, etc2. find something or sm1 who can motivates you helps in the long run.

14. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Quite interesting..

..(rest of bad_tensioner's testimony snipped for brevity, and yes, i read your other sharing in the other thread;))..It's interesting to know that it's quite possible to lose those pounds, even if we don't change our diet/eating habits:cool:..I reckon your level of metabolism is quite high, as well, esp. after reading that you tend to lose pounds quite easily??..:cool:
    *Any tips to share w/us on how you managed to recover your stamina/energy, esp. since you mentioned that you used to play almost every single day @ 2 hrs/day??..;)

15. Temasek Green

Temasek Green Regular Member

If there’s a foundation for fat donation just like blood and kidney donation supported by company like Lux & Castrol will solve this problem and I guess even Lee Chong Wei will be very pleased. But I guess there will be a long queue from either side, the thin and the fat queuing line ,need a courtesy of a cartoonist, Roberto Mangosi to illustrate it from his drawing of that scenario. Just kidding.!! lol

16. Bjorncyz

Bjorncyz Regular Member

Student
    I haven lost weight, but i got MUCH skinner.. when i say much, i meant MUCH.. i was 63 when i was 12, and still was 63 when i was 15.. turned all that fat into muscle.. that's because i went for badminton training.. really hardcore one.. they ask us to do some serious stuff, the 1st time i did it, i puked.. but now i've stopped and i'm 75Kg.. lol

17. michie

michie Regular Member

housekeeper
    hello,

i'm new here but i want to share to you what's happening to me right now... just like what i've said in the introduction forum... i'm barely playing this sport for about 5 months and i'm pretty amazed for what it does to me. I was once a 220 pounder before I start playing... and now i weigh 180lbs and keeps on losing weight. I just couldn't believe it myself... I'm also into dieting and it's really helping me a lot too but not too much. I play almost everyday for 2 hours... and it is so much fun. But after i reach my ideal weight maybe I'll stop dieting... but I won't stop playing badminton:D:D.

18. Temasek Green

Temasek Green Regular Member

Hi Michie !! Welcome,there's introduction section for new members. From the main page of "Badminton Central Discussion Forums" scroll down to the introduction section and introduce yourself.

19. michie

michie Regular Member

housekeeper
    been there,done that:D:D

20. bad_tensioner

bad_tensioner Regular Member

PE Teacher
    ctjcad - *Any tips to share w/us on how you managed to recover your stamina/energy, esp. since you mentioned that you used to play almost every single day @ 2 hrs/day??..

I often was on the verge of blacking out when I used to play every day for 2 - 3 hours. But when I lost weight, I didn't feel tired anymore, even after playing a lot for 3 hours. I guess, it was a gradual return to my previous very active life of playing other sports like basketball, volleyball, table tennis and tennis. However, this time, it was badminton and only badminton.

To everyone's surprise also, I smoke 2 packs in 3 days - which I hope nobody will imitate. But, it usually took me a short time to recover from an intense match. I was very strong. I ate a lot and drank water a lot and also hydrated myself well. I didn't do drugs. I only took paracetamol when my body ached really.

Now, it isn't like this anymore. I can still play for long hours continuously. But, I need to eat a lot and drink some bottles of beer so that my weight will not go down. I could go back to my thin self, but my wife wouldn't like it.