Heavy clamping on racket frame!

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by poohpooh, Mar 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nivla76

nivla76 Regular Member

It's near the 'S'

2. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    I'm sorry, but unless your racket came out cracked or deformed after stringing, I think you're going overboard.

You're putting a racket with a very delicate paintjob in a machine that is going to hold it at only 6 points with (not so delicate) metal or plastic parts, and then you're going to put 550lbs of pression vertically in such a way that the racket will inevitably try to expand horizontally and the only reason it doesn't is because of these 6 points.

Such damage can happen and will happen, no matter what machine or what supports are being used. I'm not saying it'll happen every single time with every single racket, but a racket with a weaker paint job is very likely to get damaged even with the most careful work.

3. poohpooh

poohpooh Regular Member

This is the exact pic what he show me, just to avoid his mistake. LOL. Hi alvin you are here.

#23 poohpooh, Mar 25, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  4. poohpooh

poohpooh Regular Member

Anyway is good to see you here :)

#24 poohpooh, Mar 25, 2014
  5. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    I noticed this latest post of yours in the Buy & Sell sub-forum:

Is this the racquet that was 'damaged'?
    It says here that it is in "pristine condition".

My apologies if the one you are selling is another racquet.

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    seems to be a scratch from some stringing tool.

should the customer be upset (given that he has a brand new racket)? probably.

should the stringer be honest and responsible. i think so.

but is it a really big deal? probably not, the racket will still play the same, but no one wants their rackets to get scratched up.

7. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

I don't really see where the damage is exactly, but judging from the pictures, it seems like it is right on the area where the side supports land. While the image in this thread shows the machine mounted on a machine with the support not aligned with the damage, it may have been mounted differently while stringing...

8. poohpooh

poohpooh Regular Member

This logic is sensible, thanks kwun. The 3rd sentences will be more emphasize on.

#28 poohpooh, Mar 25, 2014
  9. poohpooh

poohpooh Regular Member

I have one more :)

10. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Oops, my apologies then!

11. westcoast_sing

westcoast_sing Regular Member

I agree with Kwun. Just wonder how should stringer do to show his responsibility.
    This small matter (paint chip, scratch) will occur once in a while to any stringer, that's my experience playing badminton for almost 20 something years. As player we should understand that too.

Hope you could finally solve this matter peacefully with the stringer.

12. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

If that were to happen to me, I'd offer my customer a free restring. Luckily it hasn't happened yet, but I've had one of my own rackets get a small chip from one of my old supports. I did offer myself a free restring and I was very satisfied ;)

13. Ah_Peng

Ah_Peng Regular Member

Poohpooh have u brought ur racket to other shops to ask what is the possibilities , getting 2nd opinion ?

I believe u nv see ur racket being strung, thus the comments.

Reputation is very important to a stringer, y would he bother to tarnish it just for a poor string job.
    Its not like i had a poor string job that my PW11 went out of shape years ago.

Kwun u r a stringer urself n a mod.
    Should u do some testing 1st or analyzing b4 posting that the stringer should be responsible ?
    Racket is being clamped on the exterior frame while damage is on the interior frame.
    How do you know the stringer is not honest n responsible ?
    All racket clamps will be enforced with rubber to prevent damages while clamping right ?
    Do u have any idea what stringing tool was the caused of damage ?

I know Alvin personally , not that im siding him , which stringer will send just one racket to another player on his own time own cost ? We r talking about 2 hrs back n fro.

There is one more possibility , the owner knew the racket was damaged n tried his luck with the stringer.

14. poohpooh

poohpooh Regular Member

I think your in contact with alvin but its ok, anyway the fact is it happen is up to him whether he want to admit his mistake. I wont be dumb enough to bring a defect racket just to let him string :) I have been string the racket with him for almost a year.

15. poohpooh

poohpooh Regular Member

Just let this matter rest and it will never end if this goes on, its up to him whether he want to admit his mistake or just making more excuses when someone are in the same shoe with me next time or in future, and i shall carry on using the racket.

Thanks everyone for the feedback and comments. Lets move on! CHEERS :)

Its my first time encountering this kind of situation, i will learn.

16. Magnifique

Magnifique New Member

pooh-pooh, it is always going to be your word against his. No one will ever know where the scratch came from (short of confiscating all his stringing equipment and looking for residue paint scratched from your racquet). It looks ugly when you rant in a public forum and discredit someone who is making a livelihood. If you do not have concrete proof, it culminates to defamation.

We all play badminton fully aware of the risks of scratches and damages to our equipment (unless you wrap your racquet in a bag even when you play). I doubt most of us will bash and rant in public about our partners if there is a racquet clash. I suggest you seek your peace and move on from this incident. Call it bad luck if it makes you feel better. Just my thoughts and nothing more......

17. poohpooh

poohpooh Regular Member

Like what i say in my previous post. Just move on :)

18. David See

David See Regular Member

Saf
    Hi Pooh, it is sad to encounter situation like this.

I have encounter new rackets coming back without stringing due to dents and cracks, obviously that the same situation will ended up like you, venting my frustrations through forum.

Since it's a new buy, perhaps you can go back to the shop and exchange. i believed there is a warranty given within a month if there is no scratches or dent.

Also, i have been with alvin and my grps' rackets have been strung by him for a year. Feedback from my grp, believe it or not, His stringing technique and service is top notch.

Be it, it is end user or stringer's fault. We should always be mindful that materials like rackets are just equipment for fun and leisure, shouldn't ended up with commotion like this.

Glad that you have moved on...;)

19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I would remain very neutral on this. I remember some Singaporeans have had gripes about sellers and second hand racquets with defects and expecting return policy.

It's easy to accuse, difficult to prove that it was the stringers action. The racquet could have knocked against something or the owner simply didn't notice it before.

20. AT@wdl

AT@wdl New Member

/agree that is is difficult to prove, my friends and I have been stringing with Alvin for more than a year and there were no issues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.