Help for flying clamp upgrade

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by flyingcords, Jan 20, 2019.

1. flyingcords

flyingcords Regular Member

After Yonex flying clamp, I would like to try another type of flying clamp. (You can read why in my second post in this thread)
    Gefen's, Eagnas or RAB ?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

#1 flyingcords, Jan 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    that looks rather large.

what's wrong with Yonex?

3. flyingcords

They are made for badminton, you can see on RAB site : http://www.r-a-b.com/productDetailTools.cfm?name=Fly Clamp&code=HT-FC-BADMINTON
    and the the first and second one seems to be the same (eagnas) on another site : https://www.racquetdepot.co.uk/eagnas-badminton-hand-flying-clamp/

I had some issues with thin gauge strings during stringing the mains (BG66, and gtone5, for example) with Yonex clamps. Or perhaps it's just an impression, because I'm not used to thin gauge : I see the drop weight bar of my Pro's Pro Challenger going down when I release the clamp after having set the tension with the bar at the right horizontal position. Even if I re-adjust the tension, I'm not sure that the fact that the bar goes down isn't due to a sort of slippage of the yonex clamp.

#3 flyingcords, Jan 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  4. fanfaron

fanfaron Regular Member

try put to you finger on the string while the flying is set and the drop weight bar is tensionning. Check the opposite side of the bar. It could be simply the string that is stretching.

I've read the finger trick from s_mair.

5. flyingcords

I'm quite sure it's the stretching of the string. You are probably right. I can't imagine slippage of the clamp without damaging the string and I usually never see damage (just once). And I always check the uniformity of my string job before doing the crosses by pinching the main strings, and the sound (frequence) is still the same at those spots where I saw movement during the tensioning process after releasing the clamp. The tension seems equal symetrically.
    So no need to upgrade my yonex clamps ?

6. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

If they don't slip and you are fine with the handling - why would you want to upgrade?

7. flyingcords

Because it happens once, recently, that the clamp slipped a little and damaged BG66UM. Even if the string didn't break, I think it will not last long. But you are right, I will try again and wait for another issue to decide to buy other ones. And I really like to read some review about the eagnas and RAB ones, before to purchase that kind of different flying clamp.

8. fanfaron

fanfaron Regular Member

If you string a lot, maybe it's a good idea to clean a little the clamp with toothbrush. When I get bored and get no stringing job I use my old toothbrush and clean my clamps. Use alcool to rub whatever can be rubbed. I like to string a racket or two to relax a little bit. I always time each job to see if I improve or not. It seems at certain point it can't be improved but I always find a new way to weave crosses. look at youtube for Halim, you see that weave differently depending of the cross and the shaft of the racket.

kwun likes this.
  9. radu_popeanu

radu_popeanu Regular Member

Sales Manager
    BG66UM is a nasty string to work with. From what i am reading, you don’t need to change your flying clamps, your string is stretching for sure, especially if you haven’t prestretched your string before you started the stringjob.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flyingcords and kwun like this.