Help me find a replacement for my Li Ning N9 II

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by AreYouEvenMad, Oct 3, 2022.

1. AreYouEvenMad

AreYouEvenMad Regular Member

In my last torunament, my racket unfortunately had the pleasure of getting to know the wall, after I got really angry with myself in a match I played super poorly (I know, stupid as f*ck but well... **** happens).

So I need a new racket. However, I haven't read a single racket review for the last 5 years and with all the new series, models and cryptic information that some bands provide on their website (looking at you Li Ning) its just hella confusing.

With the N9II I kinda liked and disliked it at the same time. I really really loved the fast, aerodynamic head, since it was an absolute beast, when it comes to flat exchanges. I also had the feeling, that I was able to generate quite a lot of head speed for overhead shots, which felt kinda nice. So I definitely want a racket that is similar in that regard.

However, sometimes it felt like I still lacked a little bit of power, despite being able to generate lots head speed. Furthermore I sometimes felt like the sweet spot was a little "weird"/off when playing with the N9II. It's hard to describe and I cant really point out what it was, but sometimes it was just feeling weird. Probably it's just my technique, but with my previous racket (N90-III) I didn't have this feeling. So a little bit more head weight for both more control and more power might not actually be too bad. However I dont want something thats super head heavy either, since I play both doubles and singles. And again, I don't want to completely sacrifice the fast and maneuverable head. So no sledgehammer like ZFII please :D

As for stiffness, I want a medium-medium stiff racket, similar to N9 II. I don't think my technique is good enough to handle something that's way stiffer.

So all in all, I'm looking for a racket, that is mostly similar to the N90-III or N9II with maybe a tad more ooomph when it comes to smashing. Which racket would you recommend for me? I dont really care too much about brands: My last 3 rackets have all been from Li-Ning so I would like to go with them again, but Yonex or Victor are totally fine as well.

Thanks in advance and sorry for my bad english :)

2. Baddyman#1

Baddyman#1 Regular Member

Wait for the astrox 77 pro. Might be the racket for you coming from the n9ii and meeting your above criteria.

pootisfoib likes this.
  3. Dlee

Dlee Regular Member

If you want specifically Li-Ning -> how about the calibar 900b or 900c?
    The 900c is not super stiff or head-heavy (not like a zf-2 head-heaviness or z-strike stiffness) and has some serious oomph in comparison to the n9ii

Only issue is availability and price -> LN rackets seem to have a massive price hike

4. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Direct replacement of N9ii are Turbo Charging 75.
    But there are some model for Turbo Charging series, if you looking something abit different.
    75C are a heavier version.
    75EX, not sure what the different
    80 kinda like 4U of 75.

But its older model as currently their naming are Halbertech, Bladex, & Axforce. So availability might be a challange for you to find one.

For other brand, you might want to look at 88DP, 77P or OG 77, TKF. 88D & TKF are quite popular, see if your friend had one & borrow it to hav a try.

5. Kwarevo

Kwarevo Regular Member

If you can find, buy another n9ii.
    If you can find turbocharging but not n9ii, try 75 EX, 75 C I think for single like LKY before.
    If you can't find turbocharging, try Axforce 90 dragon or aeronaut 9000 C

#5 Kwarevo, Oct 4, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2022
  6. AreYouEvenMad

Thanks for the recommendation. The Calibar 900C indeed sounds very interesting. I'm just really confused about the stiffness. You and several other reviews list it as medium stiff, while their website says "extra stiff" - what the hell? :D

Does anyone happen to know how the Caliber 900C's stiffness compares to lets say the Astrox 88S? Both seem to fall in that "slightly head heavy but still good all around" category

7. Dlee

Dlee Regular Member

I actually have both the 900c and 88s (3U,G5) so can make a general comparison for you here (I also have an n9ii so can give a direct comparison against that one too).

Physically;
    In the hand - the 900C is a little heavier and feels very slightly stiffer than 88s
    The head of the 900C is also slightly more compact and the 88s is a little shorter

Wrt the stiffness of the 900c - even though it is classed as “extra stiff” - it does not feel close to a z-strike or a js10 which are the stiffest rackets I have used

I would say the 900c feels (yonex rating) stiff when stationary but because it is slightly head-heavier than the 88s then it does flex a little more during hard shots

I mainly use the 88s during matches (haven’t got the timing down for the 900c) but I would say that the 900c has significantly more oomph than the 88s (which itself is no slouch) but being slightly heavier and slightly more head-weight results in it being slightly slower

8. AreYouEvenMad

Thanks a lot, that's really really helpful. I've only played a few ralliees with my friends 88s and to be honest, it felt very different and I wasnt too comfortable with it. So if the 900c is similar/less forgiving due to it being slightly stiffer and head-heavier...well, I dont know if thats the right one for me. But again, I've only played a few rallies with it and it could also very well be the higher string tension on my friends racket or the overall change from a "hollow-feeling" li ning sword frame to a solid yonex box frame.

I'll certainly do some more research on the 900c and 900b. Furthermore, I'll definitely have a look at the AxForce 90. Based on the reviews I've read, it could be right up my alley. Plus it looks simply gorgeous. I'm just really afraid of the price point..

9. Dlee

Dlee Regular Member

The 900C and 88s are very different rackets wrt weight, balance and feel -> they are only slightly similar regarding stiffness but how they play are totally different

If I was to describe the 900c; I would say that it is a very good rear court racket (plenty of power) but can be used well in the mid-court because it is not a very extreme HH balance and the head profile allows for a good acceleration.

TBH, I think I prefer the 900b -> not simply because it is better all-rounded (less head-weight and slightly less stiff) but it has really nice feedback on the stringbed -> I have the same string setup on other rackets (VBS68 power - 24 lb - Auraspeed 90s and BS12) but the 900b has quite a really strong “catapult” effect

I thought that the 900c would be similar but I can’t feel it as well -> I chalk this down to the combat having a more compact head

I haven’t tried the AxForce rackets so couldn’t say too much but regarding price; I think that most top-end li-nings are in a similar price range now (even though the calibars are older) so I wouldn’t factor this one in too much

Have more of a look/research round and pick the one that is right for you =)

10. Dlee

Dlee Regular Member

Looking back at your original post to remind myself of what you are looking for;

I think the 900b would be a more suitable racket than the 900c.

It retains the fast aerodynamic properties akin to the n9ii but it is stiffer and feels more stable than the n9ii.

It is also more even-balanced so that helps with head speed generation for all shots

Most importantly, it has (atleast to me) more power than the n9ii -> I think this is the large sweet spot of the racket

The problem though is that I don’t think I have seen the B anywhere recently? Mostly the combat and drive versions are available annoyingly =(

pootisfoib likes this.
  11. pootisfoib

pootisfoib Regular Member

Consider the Victor Thruster F Enhanced, Auraspeed 100x and the new Auraspeed 90k ii. They have similar spec to the n9ii but are faster, a bit stiffer, but aren’t too stiff.

#11 pootisfoib, Nov 7, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2022
  12. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I have played auraspeed 100x yesterday and was blown away by how good it is.

pootisfoib likes this.
  13. Kwarevo

Kwarevo Regular Member

I use tkf enhance for a week, tkf enhance is really good racket.
    It medium to stiff, not stiff like ryuga.
    Bigger sweet spot, quite hard to play for as day longer and rounder than others.
    For me it the best racket.
    I have try ryuga, n7ii light, arcsaber 10, astrox 77, astrox 88dp, astrox 100zz, budget lining g force 1600