Help needed with my first "decent" shoe

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by swsh, Aug 21, 2017.

1. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    Lost a lot of weight recently and my shoe size seems to have gone down for some reason. Been using SHB-47EX for the past few months and they clearly lack cushioning for how much I've been jumping recently. Really taking a toll on my right knee and the toes since the toe hits the front extremely hard making it bleed if I'm not wearing appropriate socks sometimes.

I'm a complete novice when it comes to knowledge about shows so I have no idea what to try and get for myself. Information about myself so it helps you :

Height : 6'3" or 190ish centimetres
    Weight : 78kg
    Feet: Size 9.5-10 / Wide Feet, bit more arch than normal and Greek Foot (index toe much longer than my thumb toe)

Looking for a stable shoe with the best possible cushioning in the price range although I imagine most of the stuff would be an upgrade to the shoes I own currently. I'll be doing a lot, and lot of jumping overall. Problem being I wouldn't like to splurge away for the top end stuff this month so my purchases would be restricted to mid range. Open to any brands or a different type of shoe than just a badminton shoe as well. Weight of the shoe itself is not a big priority so if they're on the heavy side (and more durable) that's fine.

Recommend away!

#1 swsh, Aug 21, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Wear an extra pair of socks in the first instance.

If your right knee is hurting from vertical jumps, there must be something wrong in your landing technique.

I am using Forza shoes. Very robust. So robust that I haven't even looked at the new range.

swsh likes this.
  3. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    Go grab your shoes
    Pull out the insole

Money says it's compressed and awful.

Replace insoles
    Comfy shoes

swsh likes this.
  4. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Was I right? ;)

swsh likes this.
  5. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    I was wearing two cushioned and one ankle socks with cotton inserted inside the shoe for the last two days but my toes are still not at the end which makes them feel really weird. Had a weird incident when I couldn't feel the front, the shoe got stuck on a lunge and ended up twisting my ankle. Felt like my leg moved inside the shoe itself and twisted (very weird). The knee seems to be a lot better after I was suggested to wear some weird band below the knee but you're right I do need to work on the landing technique more.

Bummer as forza is not available here unless I import their stuff

I wish!! Imagine paying similar to a packet or two of strings for the solution. Tried decathlon ones but they weren't as Yonex. Nike ones were quite decent and I used them just now but the toe issue remains unsolved still. So you were right in a way but Yonex doesn't sell insoles here so there's no way I'm getting my hands on them unless I get them from outside. LP Support sells some full gel insoles (heavy stuff!) which cost almost the same as a entry level shoe. I haven't tried that, should I?

6. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Hmm.

Right, I found that I had toe slamming issues using Yonex's normal shoes. I needed a wider fit, and the only way I could get was with increased length.

I switched to Li Ning shoes for a while, pretty decent. Wider fit than Yonex's UK shoes, so they ended up being more comfortable. I bought replacement insoles too from e1981.

Right now I use Yonex CFWM (comfort wide mid) and custom made insoles, but was using the stock insoles rotated around with the a 192EX to avoid sweat, but I'm not sure you'd wanna order shoes from Japan. They do also have the 65W, not sure if those are available where you are.

7. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    65W is actually available here (albeit the ex variant) and I've tried them very recently and found 03's (red ones) better when jumping around in the shop. Doesn't 65 also cost a bomb tho? I wouldn't have minded importing shoes like I do my strings from rakuten but I'm kind of restricting myself from spending too much due to some more important stuff going on this month.

So currently either Li Ning or 65W. Is there a lot of difference between 65w ex and jp? Seems to me that's it's relatively affordable even after importing so I'm interested,

8. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Not sure about EX vs JP.

swsh likes this.
  9. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    Ah that sucks. Since the price difference would come out to around 20 dollars, I wouldn't have a huge issue with ordering them from rakuten. Guess I'll be wandering around looking at shoes all day today. Tried Asics Gel Rocket 7 and Asics Gel Upcourt 2 but didn't find Rocket's very comfortable at the tip.

10. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    I find lots of Asics shoes too narrow.

If you can get them cheap, the Li Ning Affixed to the Ground/Metal X shoes are decent.

swsh likes this.
  11. dolbydog

dolbydog Regular Member

Big guys can use some Mizuno court shoes. Wave Rally or Hurricane are not too bad for basic shoes. You can try some previous season models on sale. Just don't get ones that are too high or have too much "tech" as they tend to add weight, or lose foot speed, or potentially roll ankles.

12. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    Went and got Li Ning AYTM087-3. Bought from the site where it's imported at (can't say anything more about it since single pieces aren't sold like that) with a good discount. I was shown 6 pieces for my size and range. They were the latest import. Fit is as perfect as I could hope really and my toes feel extremely comfortable for once.

2017-08-24.jpg
    2017-08-24 (1).jpg

#12 swsh, Aug 24, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  13. dolbydog

dolbydog Regular Member

The outer looks pretty cool! The cushioning however, seems basic and the outsole they have had for a few years. Please give a review after a few months. I would like to try Li Ning shoes but get confused with so many models.

14. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Looking for a pair of shoes and considering Forza. Saw this post of yours while digging the forum for topics regarding this brand. How is Forza overall? Are you still using this brand? How about impact/shock absorption? Thank you :)

EDIT: looking at the Forza Speedster to be precise.

#14 LenaicM, Oct 22, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Yup. Still using the brand. :)

I find they are very very good. I don’t know the name of my present shoes :eek:

LenaicM likes this.