Help with return of some serves

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by coolshades, May 16, 2018.

1. coolshades

coolshades New Member

i am a beginner and apologize if this post is too amateurish.

i am new to badminton and play doubles. while i know the basic techniques, i struggle with returning two kinds of serves.

the first goes past my left shoulder (i am right handed) almost along the central line and drops behind me, to my left as i face the net, in the corner just in front of the tram line.

i have to use my backhand for this serve and my return is very weak.

the second serve is struggle with is a wide serve to my right that lands in the tram lines.

will appreciate any suggestions.

2. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

What kind of serves do you receive? Low backhand serve, flick serve or forehand high serve? Does the shuttle fly low by the net, low but straight with more power or above you?

3. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    Your struggles will disappear once your footwork improve. Without proper footwork,the problems will not go away. You will get to the shuttle faster and in balance and in most cases, back hand are not needed. Every new badminton player has the same struggles that you has, hope you will say goodbye to them.

4. Cesium

Cesium Regular Member

Web Developer
    That's a very common surprise drive serve. Key is to stand lower, so that u can do overhead shot. And then it just comes down to faster reaction and stronger wrist power... that's about it....

5. llrr

llrr Regular Member

It doesn't have to be a drive serve. It can just be a lowish flick serve that he can't reach so has to move back and hit a backhand shot. It's simply due to a lack of speed and technique that all beginners struggle with. I would say practice around the head overhead shots and don't stand too close to the service line when receiving to give yourself more chance to move back. Practice explosive backward movements to increase speed. Stand closer to the centreline when receiving. Whilst this does make it harder to get the tramline out wide serves, people rarely serve those perfectly with disguise. Without disguise you can usually see them pointing their racquet towards the tramlines and so it gives you a clue. a straight lift off that serve also isn't the worst shot as your opponent has to move to the backhand side to smash (unless they're left handed).

6. coolshades

coolshades New Member

thank you all.

Cheung likes this.