Help with Stroke Please!!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Mason, Mar 15, 2018.

1. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

Well, that's training vs. playing, I guess. Maybe this confidence will let you focus on the stroke more during games, too? Anyway, overall you're on the right track and you know what to work on. It didn't change despite your progress. ;) There even were drop shots that looked so much better than before, your hip is not pulling your body back anymore, but it stops too early with your right knee coming up instead of getting the right foot further in front, but also remember the other things. When you notice falling back into old habits, it's time to take a step back again.

Well done and keep going!

2. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Thank you! I’ll keep working at it.

3. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

Training versus playing isn’t always so obvious to see. You’ve made clear improvements here though. Perhaps shows you there’s much more room in your schedule for training if you want to improve faster!

0:36 0:39 1:18, all much better examples of what your kick through shape should look like. Still room for improvement in this area, but significant strides made :)

Good work, and keep up the improvements!

4. Mason

Mason Regular Member

See below for some of the footwork drills i did before the games along with 2 of my doubles games.

5. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Thank you!
    Yes, its a good lesson for me on how much can be done with PROPER training , outside of playing games. But it now gives me the motivation to do even more footwork drills outside of club play as i really noticed and saw an improvement.

6. Mason

Mason Regular Member

I was able to go once again and do some footwork drills before the games started. I focused on my drop shot mostly yesterday. My form seems pretty good on those but i think i need to increase the speed of the drops to be more effective. I've noticed that my footwork has reverted back to some bad habits though. I think some of that is due to fatigue from my weight training session that i normally do on Tuesdays. I played well overall though. . Also near the end of the night I played a singles game and the score ended up being 29-30 which really got me tired. I do however feel like I last much longer than i normally would because of improved footwork. I will post that singles game shortly.

speCulatius likes this.
  7. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Here my LOOOOONG singles game

8. Ballschubser

Ballschubser Regular Member

Regarding your single game, you and your opponent make too many unforced misstakes, ending rallies after a few shots. If you want to improve your footwork, than longer rallies will help much more (a movement ryhtm/flow). In this case avoid flick serves and smashes to get direct points and try to win by playing tactical clever shots and concentrating on footwork.

I would sugguest to play vs someone (much) better and ask him to chase you around the court instead of finishing the game too early.

9. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Thanks for the input. Both of us normally just play doubles hence why the game was the way it was.....

10. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Since I was not able to play badminton today I decided to do 15 rounds of Interval training using various badminton drills. 30 seconds of work followed by 90 seconds of rest. After watching this my rear court footwork needs a lot more work. But I was able to get a little bit of badminton specific practice in and well as get the benefit of interval training.

11. Toivot

Toivot New Member

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think when you do a scissor jump it's important to land your non-racket foot behind you with the foot pointed sideways, not straight forward in line with your calf. This helps to avoid injuries to your achilles tendon (the worst case being rupturing it completely!)

Looking at your videos there's lots of example of you landing with your back foot pointing forward, e.g. check out how you land at 3:16 below:

Ouch! The last thing you want is to injure yourself that way, or you could be off the court for months.

Take a look at this video for a comparison of the wrong vs. right way to land that foot:

speCulatius and Cheung like this.
  12. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Shots from tonight’s game. My footwork is improving ever so slightly

13. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Well I felt much quicker around the court last night
    Here are my shots and also two of my doubles games

14. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Not the best day last night. Played 5 singles games to start the night off. I felt slow and my swing was off.

15. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Hi there

Would like to know in brief what type of footwork training that you're practicing now .

16. Ballschubser

Ballschubser Regular Member

Your scissor jump is still not really a complete jump. At around 2:00-2:30 you can cleary see, that you rotate your body only by roughly 90 degree, leaving you in a somewhat side position. You can observe a often a little break after the jump, then you move forward.
    It is more like you try to stop your backward momentum instead of a powerful forward movement initialted by your racket leg.

Try to push off more powerfully with your racket leg and try to reach an almost 180 degree rotation, so that your feet and momentum is ready to move forward quickly. Best in a single smooth motion: load racket leg, powerful push with racket leg, land with non-racket leg pointing sideways and racket leg pointing forward, move back to base position immediatly.

darrengsaw and Mason like this.
  17. Mason

Mason Regular Member

I just doing trying to do the basics. Here are two examples

18. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Despite having the basic footwork when you move towards your backcourt corners, your body posture and balance , eye view and swinging effort looks too casual. Even the distance where your legs cover when your arm starts to swing doesn't touch the backcourt line most of the time. For a beginner, when you're practicing your footwork movements (regardless to whatever corner inside the court), putting your efforts first on speed hoping to cover all angle fast is not your priority.

Learn to cover the court at it's true distance with the correct preparation. The addressing approach also need to be done at it's correct imaginary contact point as well. You don't need to do this in a fast pace. No point having the steps just for the sack to move backwards fast and doing your swinging but cannot grasp the vital essence when learning about footwork. Your mission is not about agility but importantly to understand and practice first on how to cover the court length well with the correct preparation, balance and the abity to view the imaginary contact point all the time before making your hit. When your footwork movements has able to incorporate all of this vital points and then it's when you start to learn to improve your court agility gradually. This can be then further achieve with a shuttle drill training especially.

Mason likes this.
  19. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Thank you for these suggestions. I implement what you are saying here in my training

20. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

Review your footage yourself carefully for each movement - I get the feeling you don't review your own videos much. You should really watch them back, and watch them again in slow motion before you think of posting them here!

Here's a leading question - in your second video, what do you think of your backhand side forecourt movement? I won't post a timestamp, because you consistently move the same way every time.