Help with Stroke Please!!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Mason, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Yup, looks great.

I think it's OK as it is now. What you can do is now tilt your shoulders so that the right shoulder will go higher and this will make your contact point higher.

Refer to this youtube video, slow it down x0.25 and look at the tilt in Axelsen's shoulders.

Same as the video you posted earlier. Right shoulder also tilts upwards.

Contrast that with somebody who doesn't tilt their shoulders (this image is from wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badminton )

Wiki - BadmintonJumpSmash.jpg

[​IMG]

Mason likes this.
  2. visor

visor Regular Member

I think your form is looking generally better and correct. Best for you now is to go on court and get someone to feed you hundreds of good lifts for you to drill.

Focus on relaxed hitting and crisp speed over raw power. Right after you initiate your stroke by pulling your right shoulder back to open your chest, you need to be pulling your left elbow/shoulder down and back in the opposite direction in order to throw your right shoulder forward. Currently you're not doing this enough.

Mason and Cheung like this.
  3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

he will after hitting a few thousand shuttles in practice.

Mason and visor like this.
  4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

@Mason

go away and practice for a few weeks. Come back and tell us how it goes. It will take some adjustment to get the proper timing when you hit but you have made very good progress already on the shadowing.

5. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    Agreed, there's other stuff he'll start doing more automatically like the 'extra opening' before a hit, and I think eventually even the shoulder tilt for extra height will just happen.

Good luck with trying this on court, keep the preparation relaxed and see how it goes.

Cheung likes this.
  6. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Well I have been practicing as much as I can but during games old bad habits come back. Here is a video of the games that I played on Sundays. I just put in mostly overhead shots but also a few other shots as well. I think I have made some improvement on my stroke and footwork but still a long way to go. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

7. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    Balance, especially on those overheads.
    Using panhandle on drop shots.

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

It's definitely better. It's hard to change it in a game, especially in doubles as the shuttle comes fairly low. It takes practice without games to change. Even professionals in other sports spend a lot of time maintaining basics.

Agree with @Charlie-SWUK about that panhandle grip. This is actually restricting the height at which your strike the shuttle. So quite a few times, you are unable to tilt your right shoulder up higher.

On court you need to move more to get to the right hitting position. The shuttle should be falling around your right shoulder.

Round the head area is stronger. Moving out to forehand side is weaker so you feel a bit awkward in this area. Many times you are not quite in the right position and that's a footwork issue. You need to sidestep out to the forehand side.

After you hit the shuttle, the right leg sticks out to the side. It should come forward like a bicycle style.

9. Mason

Mason Regular Member

So on my last game of doubles for the night, I attempted my first in-game jump smash. As you can see I didn’t jump as high as I could as I decided to try to try to use both legs at the last moment , so I didn’t use all of my left Leg. But I was able to hit the shuttle fairly clean and It was a winning shot against a better doubles team.

I’m still trying to work on my pronation :/

DarkHiatus likes this.
  10. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Here are some shot shot from a few weeks ago
    Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Here are the things that ive noticed that I’m working on:
    1.) grip too far towards panhandle thus I’m not using enough pronation
    2.) context point too low
    3.)footwork from rear court backhand side to for forehand side is still poor and my rear court forhand shot is poor

11. Ensio

Ensio Regular Member

My 5 cents,

You are using to much power by trying to squeez the racket in your hand, grip the racket as a pencil and then do the swings with proper grip. Relax your arm when swing and then grip the racket when impact. (the racket weights only 80g)

You are hitting like you want all the power to be in the smash. Instead focus on the accuracy, and right movement, then power comes along

You will see the gorgeous lady hits the racket head almost in the back of her body. You are only doing step 1 , (in the video) She is also positioned sideways when she hits the shuttle, not facing full front to the shuttle

Shuttle throw, here you see how the impact is, facing side ways or full frontal

Problems with the Grip,

#111 Ensio, Jul 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I would say that is good going from where you were before.

At the moment, you look to be going for too much power. Try easing off a little bit and relaxing but getting a better contact. The objective is to get a little more quality.

Some of the shots are difficult because you are not in the right position and therefore need to use a different stroke. So, we are looking for the right shot at the right situation.

Try to go up to the shuttle with the body first..

13. darrengsaw

darrengsaw Regular Member

Data Analyst
    I would say your non racket arm needs to be pulled in to your chest at the end of your overhead movement.

At the moment it is going behind you somewhat and that is making you collapse forward and across at the end of your stroke, which impairs your recovery.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

14. longpole

longpole New Member

The Badminton World Federation (BWF) Youtube channel has a pretty comprehensive coaching series from the basics right up to the slightly more advanced skills. Go check it up and see if the videos can help you. Look at BWF Coach Level 1 or Level 2 depending on your skill levl. Here's the link.

15. Obito

Obito Regular Member

First, get the right shoes and work a little bit more on footwork. I'm not sure that your footwork isnt good enough or you arent feeling secured in those shoes. I would feel slippery as well in those shoes. Your shot seemed like you just get there right in time.
    Second, seem like you didnt hit the bird at its highest point. Your arm didnt straight up all the way. I think that might be because of the shot quality of your game. Most of the shot went to mid court with the right stroke and enough footwork you could easily smash it down. Sometime the bird returns too low you just need to push it back not trying to smash with wrong technique because it will eventually become your bad habit.

Try to practice clear baseline to baseline will eventually correct your stoke and dont forget the footwork.

Keep it up !!!!

#115 Obito, Jul 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  16. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Well i purchased some new shoes for Badminton. Played two times since then and they have been a big help!

17. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

@Mason:

You're doing a lot of things right, and I particularly like your energy, enthusiasm, and sharpness. :)

Your biggest issue is that you are way too tense. You never relax, which means your hitting and movement are not efficient. Your whole body looks tense all the time.

You need to practise hitting shots without trying to hit hard. For example, simply practise clears or half-smashes. Especially try to relax in your grip, which I suspect is tight all the time. The grip should be slightly loose until shortly before contact, at which point it rapidly tightens. This sequence of relax--TIGHT--relax is important for efficient force transfer.

If I were coaching you, I'd start with these two focus points:
    • Relax! Don't worry about how hard you are hitting
    • Reach a bit higher

18. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Thank you so much for the feedback! I’ll work on those things

#118 Mason, Aug 10, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  19. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Well I have been playing now for one year. I appreciate everyones help in improving my game play. I will continue to work on getting better in all areas of my game. Here is a doubles game from yesterday:

Cheung likes this.
  20. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

OK, since you PMed me asking about something I wrote in another thread related to some of your problems, I took the time to go through your thread. Since I already gathered all that looked interesting to me to make my reply worth reading, I'll try to sum it up. Also, it will let me to refer to things and might remind you of some things. Let's have a look at where you started (that is the first video you posted in the opening post):

At the beginning, it was mostly
    After the next video, it still was pretty similar, but people also told you to work on the kinetic chain.
    This means that your hip turns first, your shoulders follow actively, using your abs, to transfer that energy.

You got this very helpful advice:
    Which I find helpful because it paints a picture of the entire movement, not only trying to focus on one aspect. Normally, I'd be the guy separating movements, but you are so tense, that focussing on the big, fluid movement might make more sense.

I think I'm starting to leave the chronological order of my summary now, because I think this is also related to the discussion about the (rather old) teaching method Borkya (Becky, sorry if I confuse those names in between) mentioned.
    This method is similar to how I originally learnt it a long time ago and I totally agree that it was probably used due to heavier rackets and I normally don't teach it this way, because it's not necessary with lighter rackets. But I think it might help you with one of the questions you had about my post in another thread.
    And I think that giving Borkya's (well, her coach's) method a try, because it will force you to do exactly this. Still, after establishing that habit, you can (should) move on to a more passive er (two; here in Germany, we number it differently, but I'll stick to this for now).
    Also, the long, smooth movement (needed for heavier rackets) might help to feel and control your body better. I hope that this will help you relax, because there were (and still would be if someone had replied to your last video) comments like...
    … that show that you are still struggling with your coordination and thus cannot benefit from the kinetic chain.
    You even got a nice video of a baseball pitcher where you can see some details of his throwing motion with a comment…
    … about the left arm.
    That's how I tend to describe it. It also suggests that you have to 'close your chest' as well, this means to pull in both shoulders (don't exaggerate) to ensure better transfer of power from your hips across your core and the chest to your arm and finally the racket (hitting the shuttle.... d'uh).

In the mentioned video, you can also see that the hip of the pitcher is clearly leading and the shoulders follow. Can you see the difference to your videos at that time?

OhSearsTower and Cheung like this.