Help with Stroke Please!!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Mason, Mar 15, 2018.

1. BadmintonDave

BadmintonDave Regular Member

I can see improvements :)

Only watched the first video and you seem to keep hitting the shuttle with your bodyweight going backwards (5:44 as example).
    Try to get behind the shuttle quicker. Get a lower centre of gravity. Maybe try bigger / Wider chassé steps. By moving into the rearcourt quicker, you will be able to play higher quality shots and every shot (drop, clear, smash, slice drop, etc).

I'm also not convinced that you are disguising your drops well. But it's more of a hunch at the moment.

Will comment further after watching the second video
    -
    0:10 you rushed the swing
    0:23 be quicker
    0:25 recovery not great
    0:32 a straight push to the net / straight lift might have been a more effective shot than a crosscourt lift
    0:49 a net shot here would have been fantastic. Own that net and you are very likely to win the game.
    1:13 not bad!
    1:47 you looked off balance
    2:00 - 2:04 . When you are in that formation, have your feet horizontal. Your next movement is most likely going to be sideways movement if they put it in the tramlines just beyond your partner and you want to get to it quick enough to do an attacking shot. For some reason you started to position your feet vertically and that was the big mistake.
    2:14 your body is moving backwards there
    2:44 positioning slightly off, would have been a great shot if you were half or a whole step backwards from where you were
    3:06 good
    4:09 nice drop.

I think you would really benefit from doing some drills with a friend to improve your movement (like you said in your comment). Pick a place on the court to recover to after each shot and have the friend feed you clears. You move to it, do a drop or clear, then move back to your place on court. And keep doing that until it becomes natural and easy to do.

You can even practice it at home and don't need shuttles, just draw out an area and bear in mind you'll have about 3-4 seconds to hit a clear before it comes back to you.

#1401 BadmintonDave, Jan 13, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2023
    Simeon and Mason like this.
  2. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Wow this is some great feedback ! I agree with everything you have said
    Thank you !

3. BadmintonDave

Not a problem

4. Mason

Mason Regular Member

I feel like I’ve made some improvement in my overheard stroke. I was able to keep the proper forehand grip for many of my shots. My defense was much better and my shot selection was more varied

5. BadmintonDave

Good to hear :)

My thoughts from the footage:

You did two good serve returns. 1:07 was very good.

At 1:22 you had a perfect opportunity for a tight cross net shot, this is another way you can vary your shots. A good thing to remember is the team that controls the net is much more likely to win the point. This can be actually controlling the net, or playing such good net shots that your opponents won't even want to risk messing with you around the net.

You had some nice smashes (you know this as you slow down or repeat the clip), but I feel you are jumping when you don't need to for other overhead shots.

0:18, 2:21, 3:10, 4:40, 5:03, 5:16. At all those timestamps one of more of your feet were either off the court or in midair, which makes you slower recovering and moving to the next shot.

Let me know what you think :)

6. Mason

Mason Regular Member

I agree that I need to do a better job at the net , i hard my ever do crosses as I don’t have confidence in them. I will do them maybe one out of 20 times. As far as jumping , I wanted to be able to get a better angle and be more threatening from the back…. But at my current level I see that it hinders my recovery. But I think the reason my recovery is bad is because my overhead shots are not good quality. I need to get further behind by the shuttle when i jump to have better timing and quality. I’m actually jumping higher now than I was one or two years ago which throws off my timing.
    I also just enjoy the jumping aspect of the game and I feel like In mens doubles , jumping is a huge part of the game that makes it more exiting

7. Mason

Mason Regular Member

I played much better tonight. I believe. It was definitely because on Sunday I only did training. I also worked on having more body rotation on my shots. My shot placements were more thought out and overall it was one of my better nights of playing that I’ve ever had. I was able to force lifts on most of my return of serves which helped a lot. I also noticed my weight room training and once per week plyometric training helping me be more explosive on the court !!

Spingo80 likes this.
  8. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    Hey Mason
    Just a couple of observations
    Put your racket back up after you've smashed. You're not really being punished with fast counters in this video and you've probably gotten away with it generally as you have a strong steep smash which is good but if the shuttle is below the net on the opposing side your racket should be up wherever you are on the court.
    I think you're telegraphing your drops a bit in places, try to get exactly the same motion for smash/clear/drop.

#1408 UkPlayer, Aug 18, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2023
    Jay Ng likes this.
  9. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Thank by your for the feedback. Both of those points are something I’m trying to work on. in fact during all of those games I mentally kept my racket up for the first 3 shots but then as the rally progressed I forgot. As far as telegraphing my drops, you are right , it’s very easy to tell that I’m dropping

I’m hoping that if I continue to do once per week training I can get all of my overhead shots to look more or less the same !

10. akatsuki2104

akatsuki2104 Regular Member

You've improved your timing quite a lot! Your strokes a cleaner now.
    Shadow wise, you still move step by step, especially in the recovery phase

Envoyé de mon SM-S918B en utilisant Tapatalk

Mason likes this.
  11. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    Ah that's good, half the battle is being aware of things we need to work on I think.

I forget all the time. I've had to train specifically a routine which is just entirely about bringing the racket back up after a smash. Not so easy to remember when my ego is involved in a game :)

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Nice work. Good standard for someone without much chance of drills. Before you used to try to smash at every chance but you are mixing it up with drops and now being more effective at creating winning chances.

The points I would make in addition to the others are

1) speed of changing forehand grip after smash to backhand grip for a backhand shot needs to be faster. Decision making needs to be faster.

2) sort of related to 1) is your recovery after shots where you lose your balance is slow. I.e. regaining your balance and racquet position needs to be more efficient. At present, you need two or more slow movements to regain balance after off balanced shots rather than one or two. You get away with it now but if you’re going to be playing regularly at the level of the pink T shirt guy, it’s something to work on.

Mason likes this.
  13. BadmintonDave

Good to see you're back at it :)

Things I saw which could be improved;

00:02 moving backwards while swinging forward. By doing this, you can't put your body weight into the shot as it is moving in the opposite direction.

00:07 Same as 00:02

00:18 racquet head briefly goes below the height of the net cord when you are thinking about the shot you are going to play. It's minor, but the slower you get your racquet to the shot, the less attacking shots you can play.

00:28 your left foot is off the ground and I don't see a benefit of it

1:09 you take extra steps when you didn't need to.

2:27 left foot off the ground.

Everything else is nice. Well done :cool:

Mason likes this.
  14. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Good stuff thank you

15. Spingo80

Spingo80 Regular Member

Looking good buddy

Mason likes this.
  16. wannaplay

wannaplay Regular Member

i watched the video in slow motion. on your overhead strokes, you are not making full use of forearm pronation, still relying too much on shoulder rotation and often times finishing an overhead stroke with too much wrist flexion.
    if you just have a racket in your hand, and rotate your forearm , essentially doing palm up palm down motion, there is a lot of power there that is missing from your stroke. on your overhead, if you were wearing a wrist watch on your racket arm, you should be able to able to see your watch at the end of a stroke, your racket pointing downwards.

as i said before, by playing more, you gain consistencies and game sense, it gets increasingly more difficulty to change your strokes.

Mason and BadmintonDave like this.
  17. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Yes I realize that, but I cannot find any solution to fix this. I don’t have the option to train properly with a coach watching my stroke and correcting me in real time so what else can I do but try to make a tiny bit of progress each week

18. wannaplay

wannaplay Regular Member

i dont mean to beat a dead horse, just a friendly reminder since you posted a video update. change is already difficult especially without coaching. but you have 70 pages of suggestions, online materials, and a few regular players with slightly better technique and videos of yourself to study and compare. in the end, if you do not see a difference and not getting the appropriate feedback from your body, you are still getting a lot of exercises and enjoyment out of the games.

Mason likes this.
  19. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Well I do see a difference , but I definitely am not getting proper feedback from my body

20. wannaplay

wannaplay Regular Member

if i were you, i would refrain from two-legged jump for now. revisit the correct throwing motion, then the standing stroke, see where they differ. if hitting hard is your impetus, then show us you can do a proper step-through smash, without injuring yourself. then go from there. you can of course practice your footwork and unit scissor-step with the focus on the lower body, just dont expect the stroke will come together until you can sort out the upper body.

Mason likes this.