Help with Stroke Please!!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Mason, Mar 15, 2018.

1. visor

visor Regular Member

Be careful that you're not trying to smash too hard before your technique is better. Because right now it looks like you're trying to power your way thru your opponent with your shoulder and an improper body follow thru... both of which will lead to shoulder injury and bad footwork habits.

In the end, it's the variation in steepness, angles, power, and accurate targeting of your smashes that matter much more than just raw power.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

2. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Thank you for the feedback and you’re definitely right about me trying to power through. it’s ironic that you bring up my follow through because I feel that i cut short my follow through on most of my overhead shots and also I have a problem of my racket ending up on he right side of my body instead of my left . So for the entire night I made a Conscious effort to follow through to the left side of my body on my overhead shots(another video to come ) But like you saw, at the end of the night when I practiced these jump smashes , I forgot to follow through properly. But on a positive note I did seem to connect with the shuttle and improve my timing ( compared to past times I’ve tried ) on these jump smashes and I can tell you that i never feel any of my shots in my shoulder.
    I know I still need to work on relaxing and follow through properly.
    Thanks again for the advice ! ☺️

3. Mason

Mason Regular Member

So i tried to follow through properly (to the left side of my body) on my overhead shots and i felt like just me doing so made a big difference in my accuracy and power. It is still not a good habit for me though so I will continue to work at it. I also notice that my left arm is not being used properly for balance and i tuck it in on many of my shots. I will work on that too. But here are 90% of my overhead shots from last nights games

4. Obito

Obito Regular Member

practice footwork to the backcourt , and dry swing in front of mirror to master your stroke for a few week after you could get rid of your bad habit, it will improve your game a lot.

Cheung likes this.
  5. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Ok I will do that , my only issue is I have to practice outside as my ceilings are too low

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    A large percentage of your efficiency is lost by inefficient footwork. You are getting into awkward positions.

7. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Ive been starting to practice my rear court footwork but if you can think of anything specific that would help me he lost with footwork I’ll work on that too !
    ☺️

8. Mason

Mason Regular Member

So i have not been able to play for two weeks until last night. I was however able to get a decent amount of "practice" in before some of the games. Here are some of my shots, clears and drop and a few smashes.
    At the 15 second mark and also the 2:30 i noticed that i was able to keep a looser grip, as i can see my grip open up a bit,. At the 1:00 mark I start doing some drops. I still see that i have much to work on but I also feel like there was progress form these shots compared to two weeks ago. The whole day once again i was tying to work on proper follow through on my shots and a looser grip.

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

That looks pretty good and the stroke does look more relaxed but keeping a good sound when you hit the shuttle. I think you can still reach up a bit higher to hit the shuttle.

The dropshot strike is a little large. Try shorter back swings

10. Genghis

Genghis Regular Member

Looks good. Only comment I have is that it looks like you're not optimizing your hip rotation when generating your stroke. In other words, it seems like your hip rotation is often a follow through of your arm stroke instead of the other way around. If you generate your stroke using your hip first, your stroke will be more powerful and deceptive than the other way around.

Mason likes this.
  11. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Thanks for the feedback, The reason that I was doing larger swings was because of this video that i saw( see below) . he mentions if you keep the swing the same as a smash or clear then the drop shot will be more deceptive.

12. Mason

Mason Regular Member

I see what you mean and this another big problem with my stroke. I think next time ill have to make strong effort to use my hips more to generate power. I have so many things that i have to work on that its hard for me to remember them all. I wish i had a coach who could correct me while I am on the court. But i will work on this for sure!!! Thanks again for everyones feedback.

13. Genghis

Genghis Regular Member

Utilizing the hip is important because, without it, you are currently generating all of your power with just your upper body. This explains why your stroke is so large because short strokes would not generate enough power for long clears nor fast drops.

Longer strokes are easier to read by your opponent and less deceptive.

Utilizing the hips properly means less effort necessary for the upper body resulting in a more compact stroke which can generate as much power and be more deceptive.

You've already made huge strides since your first video which is really impressive.

Cheung likes this.
  14. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Yeah i did some practice swings utilizing my hips better and my swings are effortless and have more speed. I need to remember to do this next time i play on sunday.
    Here are my shots from yesterday

15. Genghis

Genghis Regular Member

Let the shots that you felt were more effortless be your guide to improving your strokes using hip rotation. Most of your shot are still very reliant on your upper body to generate power with large swings. These large swings are the reason many of your smashes are going into the net. Without the large swings, you don't feel you are generating enough power in your smashes. Improved hip rotation will fix the reliance on a large swing.

Your shot at 00:35 is also a good example of how utilization of hip rotation can help you. That same shot could have been hit with power if you had initiated it with hip rotation and would have resulted in a strong drive shot instead of the weak shot in your video even though the shuttle had already passed you.

In addition, Cheung is correct that you do need to hit the shots higher. That shot at 00:35 could have been attacked at a higher point and before the shuttle had passed you. The video here at 1:40 shows exactly how to hit these shots better in the future.

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

This is a very good explanation.

Once you get a bit more hip rotation into the shot, the swing can be shortened. Shorter swings have a better chance of being deceptive so when you use this action with dropshots and with smashes and with clears, you become very threatening to the opponents.

You can get a better hitting point if you jump very slightly up to hit the shuttle. Just do a small jump. It will also help get more shots over the net.

17. Mason

Mason Regular Member

When you both are you suggesting a shorter swing are you referring to my back swing ?
    Because I’ve been intentionally trying to have a longer follow through to the left side of my body.

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Sometimes your backswing is a bit large.

Your follow through is too long. It was OK to have a long follow through before because you were training to follow through to the left of your body. That is now pretty consistent so you can start to shorten the follow through. This will help shorten the time of the whole swing making you faster to react to the next shot.

19. Obito

Obito Regular Member

we were taught to have a large follow trough to understand mechanic of the swing (without the correct understanding and half swing player most likely get the tennis elbow injury) . However, since you are able to do forehand shot with stretched arm now it is time to move to another level. You need to understand the mechanic of the kinetic chain. The power you generated is already been released after you hit the bird. To me I come to understand and started to reduce my swing when I learned backhand. Currently, you complete the whole swing let count it as 100%(but the pro sometime only perform 50% of your follow thru) . Look at the pro after they hit a smash and power clear their racket head stop just sometime above their hip (but their shoulder still complete the motion) and then they are in ready position again. But to make this possible you need to be able to start using your wrist more. I called it snap motion. It is a good moving amount not too much and not too less in wrist. Without it, your shot wouldnt be able to make it thru the back and you will come back to the large swing automatically.
    But still make sure you are able to move behind the shuttler faster.

20. Mason

Mason Regular Member

So after hearing everyone’s comments and seeing that I do not have a coach that can correct me in real time My plan is to work on using my hips more on my stroke. Then I can move onto a shorter swing.I feel like I can only correct one maybe two things at a time.
    Does that seem like a reasonable idea considering my situation ?

Once again I want to thank everyone for your help!