Hi Fi lovers............

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by forrestyung, Feb 8, 2006.

1. Marky

Marky Regular Member

Richmond, Beautiful British Columbia, Canada
    Hei hei...avbuzz is being buzzed by many av-ers for its bias on certain av products (because it is a commercial site) so i deliberately leave it out (and if you speak against these products, your account will be banned). So watch out when you sight this site and make your own judgement.

2. Marky

Marky Regular Member

Red: I never own a M7... once my hardwares are all there, my friend will start soldering for me. This is point to point wiring that enables subsequent modification extreme easily. Dont worry my friend is an excellent knowlege and well experience purist hi fi fan. ................. he poisons me so much......

Thanks kwun for invitation but chance is paper thin when I need to go back to HK and able to meet you there.

3. red00ecstrat

red00ecstrat Regular Member

(Full Time) Coolie. (Part Time) Photojournalist.
    really? hehe... :D tobe honest, i don't really care and i'd only spent 2-3 hours on that site in the past 2 years! ;) besides, once my mind had set on something in particular. nobody can change! :D

4. viver

viver Regular Member

I wonder, how come switching a bulb and the sound changes so much? Back then, the guys at the shops keep switching them to check the sound - Russian valves, Bulgarian bulbs, etc...

The most melodic sound I've heard once was from a Jadis integrated amplifier coupled with a pair of JM Lab speakers. The setup was really nice for jazz music...

5. Marky

Marky Regular Member

that is the enjoyment of tube amp.... keep you busy in changing tubes.... for solid state amp. you miss this fun.

6. viver

viver Regular Member

You are quite right, and the sound difference can be very distinct by changing the bulbs.

With solid state, it's also incredible the changes in sound quality just by changing the support - say placing the power amplifier in a granite table or on a hard wood table could make a world of difference... :eek::confused: I was skeptical until I tried it myself. :)

7. red00ecstrat

fun or pain hehe... :D i would say that's 50/50! :D

jadis :eek: ? u are talking about a rolls royce of tube amp! :p i'd never got a chance to listen to a jadis. i don't even dare to get in their showroom and have a look of their products . :p

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    JM Labs are nice... ;) not sure about Jadis though.

the most amazing sound i have ever heard was a wavelength audio 2a3 tube amp driving a pair of horn with a full-range driver. the amp delivers a whopping 6W :)P) to the speakers.

i have never listen to anything that is so detailed. as if the voice was right there in front of me, it was borderline creppy. too bad it is only good for vocals / light jazz, as it falls apart pretty quickly when playing large orchestral music...

9. Marky

Marky Regular Member

kwun: are you talking horn plus full driver speakers?... the picture shows an altec lancing horn plus 15" woofer speaker... at the back ground is a pair of jadis pwr amp model "30"... DON'T PANIC... they are NOT my gear... these are my purist hi fi fan's gear. The picture was taken last year when he bought in these pair of speakers.

Attached Files:

10. Marky

Marky Regular Member

recently, he bought in another same pair of speakers... now he has two pair of these monster speakers. (his default speakers are atc smc "12" speakers which are at C$20,000+ street price). You see, how deep I am being poisoned. :-(

11. red00ecstrat

holy sh.....! :eek: what a monster speaker!
    those two "bus" size mono block amps on the top of the shelf are the jadis pwr amp model "30" right mark?
    i can only spot a mcintosh 275 on the floor. is it equipped with g e c kt88 power tubes :D ?

u've reminded me a very interesting question kwun. it's about the power output of tube amps. a lot of audiophiles especially those tube amp lovers. they always claim that. a good single-end class A circuit tube amp with 6w output (sometimes maybe less than 6w) will always has greater ability to drive a speaker rather than a good 100w+ class A solid state amp! u heard about that?
    u know, the taste of sound is subjective but talking about the ability of driving speakers. everybody knows more power more better right! indeed, what's the "magic" behind a tube amp for such ability?

12. Marky

Marky Regular Member

Red, indeed they are jadis power amp. on the top of the shelf.... the mc275 is a spare pwer amp :) to him. According to him, the jadis sound better to his default speakers then by the mc275. Whilst, the mc275 sound better then the jadis on the monster speakers. Poison and poison. Well, for these monster speakers, when they come to play the 'drum' songs, they sound so real!!!, the whole roof is shaking. .. on the snare drum... each beat sounds like bullets that can fire through the wall and to your neighbour's house. And for the tweeter side, they are so analytical and pleasant to ears. Sound stage, airy feel and the middle point are so obvious. Poison and poison.

13. Marky

Marky Regular Member

Red: would it be the sensitivity of the speakers that matter? Old timer speaker tense to be more sensitive (and in cross over design) then nowadays'. Old timer, like the monster speaker of above, has sensitivity more than 100+db (so a small watt amp. is enough to fire it up), whilst nowadays speaker (because of the cross over that matters) eg. dynaudio 52s bookshelf, has only have 85+ db (so, a much greater power amp. is needed).

#53 Marky, Feb 11, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2006
  14. red00ecstrat

yes, it should be the matter of speaker sensitivity. but the funny thing is that. even with a pair of "tough speakers". they would say a low power tube amps can handle them much better than a hi power solid state amp! :confused:
    i just don't know why! kinda bias in favour of tube amps may be!

15. viver

viver Regular Member

It was the same case with the setup I described. Actually the matching was quite nice, even the shop owner was surprised with the sound. Those JM Labs were about HK $6,000/pair and sounded really warm with the Jadis. You have to listen a song by Choi Gum in this system, it was just fantastic. But everything would fall apart when listening to symphonic or any other type of music.

When the owner hooked up the integrated Jadis with a pair of Apogee (flat panel) speakers, well there was nothing going there. Simply not enough power to drive the Apogees.

#55 viver, Feb 11, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2006
  16. viver

viver Regular Member

Red, the integrated Jadis were the poor relatives of the Jadis line. It cost at that time around HK $20,000, so 'very cheap' price according to Jadis standards.

17. red00ecstrat

base on my standards. it's still a rolls royce viver! :D

18. forrestyung

forrestyung Regular Member

Salesman
    Hi Red, for me, the most expensive will be to buy a new flat to improve my listening environment. :D

19. red00ecstrat

forrest, just like what kwun had mentioned. if we have a clever placement of furniture and some sorts of sound absorption. we might be able to have a pretty good listening environment even in a small room like what we both have now. :)

20. red00ecstrat

3 of your favourite cd(s)

alright guys. let's leave all those hardware behind! :D just do me a favour. pick 3 of your favourite cd albums form your cd shelf and let us know what they are!
    i go first this time. :)

1) pink floyd- darkside of the moon
    2) stevie ray vaughan- couldn't stand the weather
    3) tuck and patty- the best of tuck and patty