High end racket suitable for beginners

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by captainhook88, Apr 1, 2018.

1. captainhook88

captainhook88 New Member

Hi,

I have been playing badminton socially for about a year and would like to upgrade my racket. Right now, I am using a Carlton Vapour Extreme Rapid.

I have done some research and saw that some high end rackets are not recommended for beginners. However, money is not an issue and I would like to get « used » to playing with a good racket as soon as possible. So playing a bit worse due to a new racket would not be an issue if I can get accustomed to it and become better in the long run.

What kind of racket (or which precise one) would you recommend ? Budget : up to 300, so I could go with one of the flagship models I guess?

I have been looking into Yonex Arcsaber 11, their voltric line and Victor Brave Sword.

Many thanks,

2. shreyas666

shreyas666 Regular Member

chief mis-information officer
    excellent choices with both the rackets, especially now when you know what are you expecting from your purchase.
    if you're asking for recommendations, i would suggest you to stick with yonex and get an Ax77/Ax88s, youre getting a flagship, get the latest one, these rackets are getting some good reviews regarding playability and ease of use.
    these rackets are very similar to ones you mentioned, since money isnt a factor in your purchase, go for the Latest one in the literal sense.

Arc11 is a proven racket and stiff one, one can get used to it in some days with right amount of practise and training(for stiffness).
    BRS series are comparatively easier than arc11 to play with, on the basis of stiffness alone.

this is based on your previous racket specs. But again, go with astrox series of yonex, its very different and easy to generate power with.

3. captainhook88

captainhook88 New Member

Hi shreyas666,

Many thanks for your quick reply. I have been looking at the Astrox 77 which seems nice and actually quite affordable here in Europe (discounts). However, I am not sure about the difference to the 88D / 88S models, which seem to be priced the same.

4. shreyas666

shreyas666 Regular Member

chief mis-information officer
    what should concern you is degree of headheaviness and its effect on stiffness and wieldability.
    D version is more head heavier than S, will have little less of resulting stiffness in play and will lose out on bit of speed when compared with S.
    where it will shine is, back court and raw smashing power when compared with S.
    shaft length isnt really a deciding factor for you, but that is only if youre relying on a single racket thoroughout your session. if you tend to rotate amongst your rackets like i do, go for a racket which is more standardised to your other rackets.

Klein Phua likes this.
  5. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    IMO any beginner shouldn't invest in a high end racket, because beginners tend to partner beginner players for doubles which result in clashs and a gone racket. If you play singles, ignore this.

Do you have proper badminton shoes? Social players tend to play in sports center with not the best floors, so a decent pair of badminton shoes, should be on your list first, if you don't have. If you have, ignore this, too.

If you really want to enjoy a high end racket, trust me you need a special enviroment and the technique. With feathers, a good stringing job any racket which fits for you is enjoyable. With plastics and a 9kg BG65 job, I think you won't notice a difference, the difference is in your mind because of the nice design and the price tag. IMO 1. shoes, 2. coaching 3. stringing job and feathers and 4. a new racket would be my own ranking of importance.

Rob3rt likes this.
  6. captainhook88

captainhook88 New Member

Thanks - I have badminton shoes for indoor courts from Asics. I now have ordered a Astrox 77 with 9 kg stringing. The only thing I lack is a coach :)

7. BadBadmintonPlayer

BadBadmintonPlayer Regular Member

Astrox77 is an perfect allrounder and easy to play. I think its a good racket for the next years.

But now comes the hard part. Improve your game, technique and stamina. No more excuses! ;)

BadAtGoodminton likes this.
  8. captainhook88

captainhook88 New Member

Hehe, exactly... now I can no longer blame my racket

9. offbad

offbad Regular Member

student
    glanz is the answer to your problem of not playing very well but want to spend a lot of money.

getting "used to" playing with a more demanding racquet will only lead to improper technique and thus injury