Home ground advantage, big government funding and local fans support...

Discussion in 'World Championships 2007' started by Pemuda, Aug 19, 2007.

1. maryanne

maryanne Regular Member

I really do admire the passion and tenacity that the Malaysian fans have shown for the home team; however, just like in any other competition, we all want to win, but we cannot loose sight on the fact that winning is'nt always everything. I think that the Malaysians still have a lot to be proud of -- there were moments were some players rose to the ocassion even when they were not expected to do so; the whole event in general, was well organized and well attended. This should not be taken as a "consolation," but rather as a continuing reason for the Malaysian fans to keep on being behind their favorite players, not just in good times, but also in hard times.

Taufik Hidayat has not won any major tournament for quite some time now; but we do not hear the support of his followers wavering. Everyone is still excited to see him play and cheer him on. It will be nice if the same attitude can be adopted towards supporting the Malaysian team. This will separate the real supporters from the spectators of the game

2. KlasseE

KlasseE Regular Member

it happen everywhere in other countries, especially in chinese forum that their fans even gave more direct rude remarks (%*X$#&!) on LD and BCL when they lose.....

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yes, those fans exists in many countries. but that doesn't make it right.

i am glad we don't see those types of fans here in BC.

4. Louisa

Louisa Regular Member

well, i admire ZN more than XXF, and I m real happy that our WMC win over her....HOWEVER, i really feel so sorry for XXF, when i read those comments from CHN fans to her....if you want n able to read chinese, go to www.sina.com.cn....

all n all, i think our MAS fans are still better, though some of us may be abit react too much to players failure

5. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    The INA fans are more used to losses lately, so we have gotten to the point where we don't grumble much anymore. We might shout loudly in support of INA players, but in our hearts, we put low expectations [on them] and just enjoy the badminton excitement...

6. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Regular Member

Student
    I always think of INA as a very strong badminton nation.So, I wasn't really surprised that INA grabbed two gold medals in the WC this year.However, I was quite surprised with Sony's performance.

7. KlasseE

KlasseE Regular Member

In general the only losers are LCW and some MAS fans who started to blame.....LCW must blame himself since he played badly and the MAS fans (those who reacted emotionally) have to blame themselves since they supported LCW badly.

8. vching

vching Regular Member

Student
    goals should always be made: and goals should be high - if you miss the moon, you are still among the stars. There is no reason to be angry - the most important thing is that our players recover and strive for more and more.

9. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

i was sitting with the MALAY guy who was plaiyng kompang like that in the semi final, it was too loud that my ear going to burst...i was sitting and looking choong tan fook lee wan wah match from the side, it was a great view and very near to the court but unfortunenatly they lost in a tight game...... sometimes player like zhu lin smile towards me, and BCL look at me and i manage to capture his pic...

10. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

So, what did we achieve in this WC in KL? We targeted 2 titles for the men's singles and doubles plus having 4 pairs in the men's doubles finals. Not a single one made the final.

Is this the case of us 'setting a high goal i.e. wanna hit the moon but in reality ended up hitting a tow truck instead'??

11. KlasseE

KlasseE Regular Member

very positive to look forward instead n 100% agree with your thought

12. darenong

darenong Regular Member

behold ppl ..... our malaysian supporters .... call u sir if ure richer than them or win a tournament and slap ur face if u make mistake or din win a tournament ... behold ...... the malaysian fans ......... behold ..... behold ..... respect u when u win and disrespect u when u lose ......... now tats a support ! behold ..... hahahhaa pathetic isnt it ? this being international forum .......

13. Lobeh

Lobeh Regular Member

Hey Pemuda, you're one miserable sod. Nothing but negative comments and no suggestions whatsoever as to all the positive side or possible improvements to the state of Malaysian badminton. Don't really care how each nation rewards their players for winning but all this malarky about the Malaysians getting land, cash etc. has really got nothing to do with you. That's the decision of the governing body. There have been other players from all countries that have never won any major tournaments who are highly regarded and supported and encouraged to strive for the best. Sounds like if you had your way you'd be handing everyone rope to hang themselves for not winning!! Honestly..... I despair!!

14. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    Is it normal for players to get bashed or praise base on their perfomance. A simple theory is that If u can't take it & leave on. Its better for them to quit National Team . CH shows that he even can achieve something really BIG after he retires from the Chinese Team..

There are many Badminton Talents in MAS who desperately wanna to represent their country. But Due to current "Politics Affair" in the BAM setups & in the BJSS.. They choose to concentrate on pursusing their Studies instead.. My fran is one of those victims.

While top players like LCW, HH always can't accept the blame from public. MAS should give more chances to the juniors instead.. Win or lose, no 1 really matter ! I am sure this Juniors won't get carried away easily by wining one of two titles in a row..
    The point is.. Which countries in the world never ever bash their players when they are under performing ??
    The problem is clearly seems as from the Players mentality. Not to point finger to fans' pressure or criticism when they are lose !
    A good players should take away all the "Rifle" shooting from them and move on.. Lets the future results silents all the Bash towards them ..

15. Rachel Tan

Rachel Tan Regular Member

Spectators &Supporters

I think there is a difference between SPECTATOR & SUPPORTER. Some so called 'FANS' are just like a 'lousy spectator' who after watching a show/concert and complaint the performers' not up to par or quality not worth it.Some may even want a refund of money.How can?
    Whereas a true SUPPORTER,will give constructive encouragement no matter how hard a situation is. In MAS badminton,we definitely need TRULY SUPPORTERS rather than just a 'spectator'!

16. vching

vching Regular Member

Student
    no harm in trying! better to make goals and try rather than to have no goals at all... life goes on - no one waits for you to whimper and whine on a defeat... goals are targets - without any targets, what is there to achieve?

17. vching

vching Regular Member

Student
    Mr. Pemuda - what are you trying to achieve?

Malaysia gets it - we f*cked up the WC. But life goes on - you can either whinge and whine on this or we can continue supporting our players and be proactive and positive.

Please stop posting unconstructive criticisms - posts like :

discourages many malaysian fans and players. We can do it - and we can do it on the international stage. I am a Malaysian Fan - not a person that appears after Malaysia's failure and scolds the players for being bad - just when they need support, you hit them when they're down!

18. champion8

champion8 Regular Member

its is never easy to be a public figure where failure and success comes with praise and criticism.

When u win, we heard all the praise and every reporters and fans runs after u and interview u and etc and etc butwhen u loses u walks alone and most of time u bow your head with disappointment and probably cries alone.

What we should do is to conducted a post morten on what when wrong and works at it. It is no use crying over spilled milk. Its is how we overcome the problem and work at it.

I feel that BAM should be more united in their objectives. For example I could not understand why we should have two single coaches teaching two different players. Misbun and Tat Meng for the Men single. While Mew Choo trains with Tat Meng. Julia trains with Rashid and Lydia trains with another coach- dont know what his name.
    Its is better to house all elite player together and trains together as one team. Moreover it helps the players to grow and learn faster. For eg Look at Mew Choo she mature bcoz she has Wong Choon Hann, Yeo Kay Bin to help her. So why cant Chong Wei trains together with all the national player under one coach with the help of his team mates.

Looks at our doubles though failed to win the gold but they are more united under one coach (Rexy with the help of his assistant). I am sure that Rexy have tries his best and was very prepared for the tournament but luck was just not on our Malaysian team. Even our Mixed Double- looks how they have improved especially Khe Wei and Wee Keong, I am sure the senior have help them to improve.

Basically I think the Coaches should put Malaysia first instead of their own interest.

19. dreamloverhsy

dreamloverhsy Regular Member

student
    got to agree with u.... but sometimes fans will appriciate more if the player fight till then end no matter win or lose. For example, the match lee chong wei played that day... i can say langsung no standard as a world number 2. it was so dissapointing. No matter is Kim Hock's problem or Chong wei's problem i donno lar... but i know there are things to be settled between them and this time they should do it right.

I cant help myself but i have to say eventhough lee tsuan seng lost to bao chun lai.... he fight till the end and eventhough he lost everyone stood up and clap.

But no matter how, i will support Malaysia team forever!

20. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

Its time for BAM to go global. Local boys and girls no longer deliver promising results. BAM ought to seek talents from China, Denmark and Indonesia. I believe BAM runs one of the best facilities and programs in the world for badminton. Thus, attracting foreign talents should not be a problem. BAM seems to talk big, and do small.

As for Hafiz, Roslin, WCH, and LTS, its time to retire them and save $$$.