How can I stop myself from playing when I shouldn't?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by kazziah, Mar 1, 2021.

Tags:
  1. kazziah

kazziah New Member

I'm not sure whether this is the correct place to post this - and I couldn't find any similar threads.

I want to know how I can stop myself from playing badminton when I shouldn't. What I mean by this is, whenever I'm not in the best physical condition to play, I still find myself picking up my bag and going for a 2 hour session. For example, if on Monday I have an exhausting session and feel of pain in my knee or something, I know I shouldn't play the next day and take a day or two off. However, the next day even if I'm still experiencing minor pain, I would still choose to go play and end up doing more damage to myself. In the long run, I know this can be detrimental to my health. How can I stop this bad habit? Should I give my rackets/shoes to a friend for them to keep hold of? Should I do other physical activities?

Thanks!

#1 kazziah, Mar 1, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
  2. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Tell this to yourself.
    You want to play next day & stop playing like forever or skip a day but continue playing till your age give up on you?
    Motivate yourself to something further in future, not just something that is right in front of your eye now.

Or find your own cryptonite. Usually its a girl:p. I cant really argue with my lady when she start putting sad face even tho i know she purposely acting like it.:oops:

3. MarketWizard

MarketWizard Regular Member

Lol I have the same problem. It's really addicting. If you find a solution let my know

4. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

just blinked and was getting the words straight through my glasses, and I thought your title was asking something else for a moment!

You could try and make it more difficult to do eg in the case of your question relating to badminton, you could give your racket to somebody that lives se distance from you.. or in a garage where you would have to travel to, or give your racket to a psychologist so you have to 'battle' with them to get it. Or if you had some kind of addiction to something before you tried badminton then you could try slipping back into that!

5. kazziah

kazziah New Member

Haha, not worth finding a partner right now since I'm going off to uni this year but I like the idea of finding a distraction..

Dirty dawg.
    Yeah. I'll probably do that, maybe I'll give my racket bag and shoes to someone or put it in one of my parents' cars so I won't have any equipment to play with. Knowing myself, I'd probably still use some other running shoes and borrow someone's racket though :eek:

6. Borkya

Borkya Regular Member

teacher
    I also have the same problem. Although with me I have major health problems and playing could land me in the hopsital! Yet I still go more than is advised.....sigh.....

The only way I can avoid badminton for sure is making plans so I'm too busy to go to the courts. Maybe that will work for you. :p

7. Magwitch

Magwitch Regular Member

Recently been diagnosed with a health condition involving exercise intolerance and poor recovery from exercise. Yes, playing to the detriment of my health has been an issue. I tried to limit the number of games I played per night. I often felt good at the time and went against my limits, paying for it later. I then developed a punishment system!

If the strategies you thought of don't work, it might be good making an appointment with a sports psychologist.

8. vixter

vixter Regular Member

If I would have the opportunity to play Mondays and Tuesdays, and then no more opportunities for the rest of the week, I would probably still play Tuesday even if I felt a bit pain from the Monday.

It's of course important to distinguish between normal aches, and an injury problem that could get worse.

If it's just minor aches and no injury, just go play anyway and don't worry. You have the rest of the week to rest. If I feel I have energy and feel like playing, I will go.

But I say this from my own perspective of never having had a real injury. Your situation could be totally different of course.

9. Magwitch

Magwitch Regular Member

You could also look at limiting how much of a session you can play by arranging say a Zoom meeting during some of it. I arranged to do a team Zoom quiz one night, and sat there with my headphones on. That meant there was a long break between playing, and much of the session was wiped out.

10. Budi

Budi Regular Member

i had friend that play like everyday on many different club. He is kinda picky guy who dont want to play easy games with lower level but just hard games with all the skilled player on club.
    He just did like that for quite few years without any injury or health issue. But one day he feel uncomfortable on his knee & day by day the uncomfortable feel become more & more painfull. He goes to the doctor & he said the doctor say something like the oil thing on his knee is very little or something like that (not a doctor here:p so just by my logic its might be something that lubricate our joint). The doctor also said its due to excesive use which i think is his daily badminton routine. Now he hang his racket forever:(.

So with that, it might fine now or few more year but those little damage stack up in your body & when your body cant hold those pile of damage, you will be injury yourself. Just know your limit especially when you are not young anymore. Understand your own body & never underestimate your health.

You had so much money but very bad health, what fun having so much money.
    You had little money but very healthy, you can work for more money & enjoy your life with those little money.:D