How often is it necessary to replace shoes?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by AreYouEvenMad, Dec 29, 2016.

1. AreYouEvenMad

AreYouEvenMad Regular Member

My current shoes are Yonex SHB-SC2EX, I bought them about 2 years ago. For a few month now, I feel like I loose grip and traction really fast. Right after I clean the shoes at home, the traction is really good, but after 2 points its completely gone and I start to slip again. Between points I always have to rub with my hands over the sole to regain grip and traction (and as I said, I have to do this between almost every point)
    I know that the floor is definitely one of the reasons (the place is normally used by a school as a gym and therfore is really dusty and dirty), but I still feel like I loose traction faster than other people at my club.

Do you think my shoes are the problem or is it just the floor?

2. clawhammers

clawhammers Regular Member

Suggest to read this thread :
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...dminton-shoe-outsoles-became-slippery.163278/

Btw, i would rather pour water to the floor and just move / step on until the outsole dry. Dont rub your hand to the sole, especially the hand holding your racket grip. Lolz :D:D:D

If the floor is dusty / dirty, it is strongly advisable for you to mop the floor before playing, or ask some staffs there to do that for you.

Last but not least, here are examples of pics of 2-years old shoes, in this thread :
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/index.php?threads/mizuno-wave-fang-rx.150131/page-3

I used the RX for 2 years too, and just got new replacement recently.

Hope this helps. :)

Cheung likes this.
  3. lurker

lurker Regular Member

Dirty floor>clean with sole>dirty sole>clean with hands

Gulp

4. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    IMO it's more important to buy shoes than rackets. Some people believe that you can wear badminton shoes until they fall apart. As long as I play badminton no shoes lasted longer than a year. In average they last 7-9 month. IMO years are not an exact statement. I play and train 3-5 times per week, which equals around 10 hours in average.

I change my shoes because of following reasons

- cushion worn out
    - inside worn out and falling apart
    - outside getting soft -> support worn out
    - sole isn't grippy anymore

For the sole I can recommend to sand it a tiny bit with rough sanding paper, but be very gentle. If you play on a dusty floor, you can't do nothing, just mopping it. I play seldom at a place for fun and always need to mop the floor.

Never the less, I recommend to buy shoes once a year. According to my physio: He recommends to buy new shoes after 6 month. If you play once a week you can get maybe 2 years out of it, but as long as you are not light as a feather and play more often, you should change them once a year. Regardless if the look like new or not, the cushion is worn out.

IMO it's better to buy shoes more often. If you have a small budget or are cheap just avoid the top of the range models and wear them for 2 years, and buy a budget but real badmintonshoe and change them more frequent. Don't buy old models and deadstocks. Old models which are 3 years past their release, the sole get harden and the cushion is reduced.

New insoles can help to keep your shoes a month longer, but don't await a wonder...

visor likes this.
  5. AreYouEvenMad

AreYouEvenMad Regular Member

Well, I wash my hands after I've played anyway, so what? And its better than losing a game because of slippery soles ;)