How to break bad results

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by cryptail, Mar 3, 2008.

1. cryptail

cryptail Regular Member

student
    Hi guys, I haven't been a lot over here last months because I was busy at home.
    But my question... Last weeks I have been playing very bad, I haven't played that bad in 3 years... I know it's normal to have some good and bad times, but the last weeks It's really terrible, 9/10 shuttles I hit won't go where I want them to go.
    I don't know what to do anymore... And the big problem, In 1-2 weeks I have some pretty important tournement, also because my ranking will be influenced pretty much by it.
    Someone knows some tricks or things to try to make me play better? everything is welcome, because I'm really desperate.:)

Cryptail

2. ionoo

ionoo Regular Member

perhaps play some more, more time you play more time you use up to shake off the rust or w/e thats causing you to perform badly.

3. and_rew

and_rew Regular Member

well there isnt much i can tell u that will bring you back to your normal skill level ... but you should try spending all the free time that you have to practice practice practice , if you like spend even like an hour everyday at your local badminton gym or w.e then you should be able to play a lot better then you were playing last week but not as good as how you used to be but close enough right ...

4. NoName1225

NoName1225 Regular Member

did you restring your racket? I've played with my racket for 3 months straight, didn't restring, i couldn't hit anything past the smash zone.

5. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    have you been getting alot of rest latley? and feeling alright and in focus while your on the court or are you tired and not in it? if thats the case then make sure that your resting and not overexerting yourself through training trying to perfect it but inreality bringing down your game. If thats not the case then when you start up play simple shots and take it easy get comfortable with the shots and with putting them where you want to take it easy and then you should be confident in that and then should be able to put them where you want to.

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    ahh, good question. Reminds me of my earlier days.

Yes, it happens when tired. Good point.
    It happens when you try too hard. Then you get a bit frustrated and the shuttle goes anywhere but not the place you want.:(

Now, for the tournament, you may be unlucky to go through this bad phase especially with ranking points involved. Losing is something that you might just have to accept on the day. The opponent was better that day.

I did post some strategies before but I can't get the search function to work now.

Basically, if clears go out at back, hit higher towards the ceiling.

If side shots go out on side, aim inwards a little.

If smashes don't win points, just expect the shuttle will come back and rally for a better position.

If you cannot reach the drop shots, try lifting to the back of the court and down the middle. The opponent may actually hit it out!

If high serves are out, serve low.

#6 Cheung, Mar 4, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2008
  7. cryptail

cryptail Regular Member

student
    Hmmm... thanks guys, but i'm not really tired and more training... Normally I play about 8-13 hours a week, so that won't be the problem either. But maybe my string could be the problem, well, now it won't because yesterday it snapped :p I'm going to the shop right now for restring. Only problem is I won't be able to get BG 80 as they don't have it over there. And I don't have the time to go to big store 40km away.

I will just keep playing, and hope to get in form at time for the big games :)

Cryptail

Ps: Cheung I'm a bad loser :p The verb "to lose" Doesn't exist to me :D
    I know you need to be able to admit someone else is bether... And I can accept it when someone wins because he plays good, but not when he wins because I play bad ;)

8. smash_master

player/coach/student
    well cryptail thats something that you will have to work on, it happens all the time wheather we like it or not. Yes i know its hard to accept that somebody wins cause you play bad but yeah it does happen. You cant go into ever match thinking you will come out the winner but cant go in thinking you will lose either. You have to go in with some goals and have good mental strength to pull you through the match and not pull you down and cause you to lose focus and make mistakes etc.

9. cryptail

cryptail Regular Member

student
    Yeah I know :) but it just sucks to lose from someone who isn't as good as you :p

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    On that particular day, if you lose, the opponent is better.;) It used to bother me as well but now I just try to move on to the next game.

Here is one thing that really helped me. Although the opponent is playing better than me on a certain day, I just try to make things as difficult as possible for them. So they rarely can say 'it was an easy game'. They would have to work hard.

Of course, I still get blown away...:rolleyes:hehe

11. smash_master

player/coach/student
    in the situation of loosing i know it doesnt feel good i can agree but i agree that i feel better when i know that i gave them a hard game and they they had to work for it. so i can agree with you on that even if you rloosing dont let it deture you from still trying hard and giving them a hard time cause that in its own is also good.

12. crony_kondae

crony_kondae New Member

IT
    Try these 2 things:
    1) Go back to basics. dont try fancy game for a day or two. Don't try too hard by that I mean if your drpos are usually 2-3 inchs above the net its ok to try to keep the bird in play and increase the tolerance a little. dont use full power while smashing etc.

2) Play easy players so that it will boost your confidence.
    Hope these help.

13. aerotus70

aerotus70 Regular Member

I have almost similar problems as you... just that i stop playing badminton for 3+ years and recently manage to play some games... my speed is much slower... netshots cant go over... keep smashing into net or miss... cannot hit forehand baseline to baseline,smash is much slower, stamina drop alot...(lack of exercise)

I not sure what is wrong... could not find back my form, I will try to keep playing and hope I could play like last time :(

14. cryptail

cryptail Regular Member

student
    Hmm that's an other situation. It's normal to play a little bad after 3 years of non-activity.
    euh guys, to ley you know, The they before the big tournament I was still playing bad, but at the big day everything worked out fine ;)

15. hybridragon

hybridragon Regular Member

Student
    That's good you did well on the big day.

Cheung's advices were pretty nice. I used to be frustrated (and sometimes still am) at losing to someone I know I can beat, but I guess when you put it that way, it's not too bad.

Personally, if I know I'm on a bad day, I go for consistency over precision. It helps gradually bring your game back up. But if you're in a bad week, I guess it'll take some time at the very least to re-adjust

16. lukingrex

lukingrex Regular Member

drink an energy soda/drink and warm up or rally with somebody and then play a nooby badminton player and ur confidence and speed / reaction will be back up