How to clean WISE 2086 tensioner?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by ant01, Mar 10, 2015.

1. ant01

ant01 Regular Member

Hi guys,

After a lot of stringing I can finally feel that the tensioner part of my WISE 2086 isn't as smooth as before. The small metal bars which you can see in the image below sometimes get stuck so I need to be a bit more careful now.

IMG_2305.jpg

I have two cleaning products which I use to clean the main part of the stringing machine but can I use these on the tensioner too? I'm not sure exactly how to clean the tensioner though because the gap is tiny, and I'd rather not take it apart if possible. How do you guys do it?

IMG_2306.jpg

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    you have the right idea.

however, i don't think u will be able to do a thorough job without taking it apart.

i have taken apart the gripper to clean before. it is not that bad. the problem is that there are 2 set of rollers clamped between 4 plates (2 outer plates and 2 gripper plates). you need to make sure they stay compressed when you take them off the machine and only open them up when you lay them on a container that will stop all the springs and rollers from flying everywhere.

after i take them apart i use some thin oil to lubricate the rollers.

3. emjay

emjay Regular Member

IT minion
    I was looking at the Wise manual the other day and it mentions putting the machine on it's side and adding a couple of drops of oil onto the inside of the gripper plates. You could try this and see if it improves things before taking it apart.

4. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Don't lubricate the roller bearings, whatever you do; just clean them, because they will start to bind whatever lubricant you use. Clean them and their tracks with acetone/rubbing alcohol, and give the rollers a really good polish before you put them back in.

Taking the puller apart isn't bad, as kwun said - it's only four bolts. Just don't lose any of the rollers.

5. ant01

ant01 Regular Member

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try to take it apart and clean it with acetone. But to take the gripper out do I need to take out the 4 black bolts on the front and 4 screws (2 each side)?

IMG_2307.jpg IMG_2308.jpg

6. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Yes. Take the big hex bolts out first, get the assembly somewhere where you won't lose anything out of it, then undo two of the screws on one side of the switch housing; you don't need to do all four.

Don't screw them back in too tight, either - you can crack the housing that way.

7. ant01

ant01 Regular Member

Thanks Mark. I bought some rubbing alcohol a few days ago so I'll give it a go this weekend :)