Thanks for visiting us!

Badminton Central is a free community for fans of badminton! If you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community users, it takes less than 15 seconds! Everybody is welcome here.

Click here for a FREE account!

How to determine which speed of shuttlecock to be use?

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by Obito, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Obito

Obito Regular Member

I've read some threads about the speed of shuttle and also I heard that we can test it by perform a long serve from the backcourt to the testing line on the other side. However, I'm still confusing and my club is trying to find a right shuttle because when we go out to competition. We couldnt barely compete with them.
    I live in BKK and most of the club here using RSL 75 silver, and I trained for it. It took me almost a year to complete my form and be able to clear from baseline to baseline. I've no problem playing with it at all, but I notice that people with incorrect technique wont be able to clear from baseline to baseline playing with this speed. Then I thought that yeah Im playing with the right speed of shuttle also it is in the fashion everyone using it.
    However, when I visit some club or competition that they use 76. I could barely play with it because my clear would fly out to the roof, and I couldnt control the placement. I also notice that people without the correct technique are able to perform clear baseline to baseline, so I thought that they use it for beginner favor.
    I asked my friend he said actually we need to use 76 because the 75 is actually too slow. Also, I play in a gym that they have AC on atm unlike most of the gym in BKK that they have no AC. Currently, my club are deciding which speed we should use. 75 people need to have correct technique and it takes power to perform clear the game would be mostly defensive. On the other hand , 76 people are be able to clear effortlessly and the game need to change to be more aggressive. So I guess maybe we should use the 76. Is my guess right? Is there anything that I need to account for before make the decision?

PS. In my thought I m more prefer the 75 because I need to be able to perform every technique correctly to clear and smash, but on the other hand, the 76 would provide me faster footwork.

#1 Obito, Feb 6, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  2. llrr

llrr Regular Member

Have you seen the shuttle speed chart? It gives you the correct speed shuttle to use depending on temperature and altitude.

offbad likes this.
  3. thyrif

thyrif Regular Member

Please check the shuttle chart.

Also, imagine that if you are using a shuttle that is too slow it is really hard to hit a shuttle out, which is part of the game (needing to pace the shot as to not hit it too long). This makes for very different games as you can hardly make those mistakes and power or fast clears from the backcourt are reduced.

Please play with the correct speed! Placing it perfectly on the back line feels amazing ;)

offbad likes this.
  4. Obito

Obito Regular Member

I looked up at the chart. The speed that I suppose to be using (temperature above 34c) suppose to be 75. However, my gym has AC which mean the temperature always below 30c which mean I suppose to use the 76 ( but as I mentioned most of my gym in Thailand they dont have the AC)

5. BadBadmintonPlayer

BadBadmintonPlayer Regular Member

Just hit the shuttlecocks before the game. Then you can simply bend the feathers accordingly for the right speed.

offbad likes this.
  6. ronsonc

ronsonc New Member