How to improve my clear?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by VillaMatt, Aug 6, 2012.

1. VillaMatt

VillaMatt New Member

When I have played an opponent with a huge clear, I find them very hard to play against.

My clear is really weak and I often lose points when I clear and I hand the opponent an easy shot to win the point.

How do I improve my clear to improve my game and make myself tougher to play against?

2. phili

phili Regular Member

Do you have access to a coach or at least someone who know the proper technique? Ask them if they can help you out. You can also watch some youtube videos but in the end you need to practice the shot.

3. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    U would need to do drills and practice proper form.

Also think about tactics also. Ive played against a player like this when i was in your shoes couple years ago. If you clear is weak, you need to try other shots like fast drops and smashes but dont forget the clear either.

Work on it!! Needs practice, practice, practice!!!!!!!!!!!

4. captaincook

captaincook Regular Member

captain
    before impact - loose grip (last 3 fingers loose).
    during impact - tighten grip.
    don't forget the pronation.
    body turn if u have the time - as in "step into it".

5. b.leung

b.leung Regular Member

before all things, footwork is most important

6. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    A lot of players waste a lot of energy playing the clear. There are 3 main reasons for this.

1. They are not contacting the shuttle "square on". This means the face of the racquet is at a slight angle, so they end up losing some power. To counteract this problem, try to pronate a little to ensure your racquet face is square.

2. Racquet head speed. You don't need a huge amount of racquet head speed for the clear, it really doesn't take much effort, it is down to technique which can't be explained properly in a few sentences, so I won't attempt to explain. But ask an experienced friend to observe your technique or get a coach.

3. Sweet spot. This is important as a lot of power can be lost here. You need to aim to time your shot so that you hit the sweetspot all the time.

If you can do all the above, you should be able to hit a clear pretty much effortlessly.

7. Caarl

Caarl Regular Member

Student
    Need to make sure your grip is correct and that your hand isnt tight around the handle, with my clear my arm doesnt move much really (unless clear is an awkward position). It's all about timing really and technique if you struggle you need to work on timing and make sure it hits the sweet spot. Your hand should be loose on the grip and then just before you hit the shot you tighten it and you whip the shuttle

8. bbirdman

bbirdman Regular Member

There are lots of good suggestions on the net and videos. One thing that they all seem to miss though and sometimes actively discourage is that you should not hit the shuttle with your body square on to the net. You should be somewhere between sideways and a slight angle to the net. This can vary in games depending on circumstances.
    Hitting with basic grip is effectively a hitting action across your body.

9. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Hi there,

Similarly like any other shots there are in badminton, executing a satisfactory clear that has the desire placement, height and length is a skill that requires both the correct preparation and technique of execution.

For beginners, the other facet that also plays an important part is the suitability of the racket specification that a player is currently using in refer to their swinging technique since a player with a slow swinging style wont unload a solid clear if he's using a mid stiff or stiff racket as the racket head contact against the incoming birdie is not at its optimum impact due the disproportion in velocity of the racket head movement and swinging speed which is not mutually synchronized as one unit of solid movement.

Assuming that you've manage to find a suitable racket that fits with your style of play and you know very well the correct technique of gripping to perform a clear so then the next step is to ask yourself this : if the outcome of your clear is not that satisfactory then what are the outcome from your other hits e.g smash and drop? If the outcome of any of this hits is satisfactory e.g majority giving you winning points etc then as far as from the preparation point of view then theoretically, you also should able to prepare well yourself to perform a satisfactory clear and its the aspect of technique that will be the issue that you need to buckle up.

If your footwork movements has able to position your view and body posture optimally in the correct alignment with the incoming birdie at the moment to perform a clear then, if your technique is correct to compliment it then your clear will be a satisfactory indeed. However, if you're unprepared then, how good your technique to compensate it, the qualities of your clear will just be as loose like you stated as above since it will be a desperate clear that likely will end with a easy kill by your opponent or out.

Train very hard in regards with your footwork and at the same time practice all the drills there are to perfect your clear technique. If your footwork is well enough to position yourself to do a clear as i said earlier, be mentally confident in your abilities to perform the correct technique to do a confident clear. Unfortunately, as said here, no precise sentences or words that can explain the essence of a correct technique to do a solid clear since it is a practical skill which all of its fine details can only be appreciate through hard practice. If you have the opportunity to train with a coach, practice hard how to do confidently a basic clear first and then learn to upgrade yourself to do an offensive and defensive clear later.

SS

10. Desouled

Desouled Regular Member

Desk
    Quickfix solution:
    1. Line up your shot behind the shuttle.
    The closer to 12 O'clock you take the shuttle, the harder it will be to get distance. 10 O'clock is ideal.

2. Head-heavy racket with medium flex shaft

Long-Term Permanent Solution:
    1. Technique Fix - coach, videos, lots of sweat
    2. Footwork training - coach, videos, lots of sweat
    3. Good opponents to play against - lots more of lots of sweat

Good luck!

11. sting.kl

sting.kl Regular Member

I found this video to be very useful. It's in Chinese but just watching was good enough for me, and it did helped me with my clear, so I'm thankful and would like to share it:http://badmintonmap.com/video.php?vid=156Good luck.

12. sting.kl

sting.kl Regular Member

13. dimcorner

dimcorner Regular Member

You need to practice a lot and have someone watch you to correct mistakes.
    Or...
    Take video of yourself doing clear and compare it to someone doing it correctly.

14. danilo5753

danilo5753 Regular Member

IT Executive
    Try imagine you stand straight at 12 o'clock, make sure the shuttlecock is at your 2 o'clock when you hit. If you are hitting it with enough pronation, you can feel it's quite effortless at this angel. Maybe that just for me :p

Now I can clear quite effortless baseline to baseline..but when I am under pressure then I found it harder to clear sometimes.