I feel I have a lot to work on, but where should I start first?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by precrime3, Jan 31, 2020.

1. visor

visor Regular Member

Your overhead stroke tends to swipe to the left. In order to correct this action, you have to try to hit shuttles cross court from the left to the right (clears or smashes) with more pronation (ie inward rotation of forearm).

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

2. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    I think a bad habit. If under pressure and receiving drives I do that, but I am consciously aware of me holding the v grip when prepping for a smash or clear and turning my racket face upon impact... will keep this in mind ty.

akatsuki2104 likes this.
  3. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    Yeah, I'm working on this. More pronation is something I'm working on constantly. it's a new theory I'm finally understanding now in practice (and not just theory). When you rotate inward the stroke seems to go more straight up and down and not across the body. Thanks for pointing it out though!

4. asadafgs

asadafgs Regular Member

precrime3, visor, Mason and 1 other person like this.
  5. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

Note- This is not a message for you precrime. This is a reply to asadafgs. This message I am writing is not about what you should or shouldn't be trying precrime. Hope that's clear.. A little message to you in this post though would be, If you try what asadafgs is doing it'd be good, as he isn't ever swiping at it like you are.

@asadafgs, Good video. There are different techniques, I've seen some coaches teach a similar technique as yours. But there is also a technique where there is a lot of chest expansion, and they'd say the more the better. Though those coaches that i've seen teach the technique with a lot of chest expansion, will often teach to have the arm tucked in, so it avoids any racket pointing out wrongly at the earliest stage.

6. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Providing a short video(like you did) on what someone shouldn’t be doing and then showing what they should be doing is the most helpful way to provide assistance to someone over the internet.( in my opinion )
    I always understand much better what someone is telling me when they make a customized video like that!

Although this is not not about my game I still appreciate that you made this short video to help

precrime3 likes this.
  7. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    I was under the impression that when you swing it should be like straight, and not to the side like this? I'll link an example video I guess.

8. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

You (and people generally) really should give timeframes if referring to something in a video..

That "Understanding the “Forehand Overhead Swing” video from Coach Won is very good.. which ones did you think looked ""to the side"(Whatever on earth you mean by that)? (Timeframes?)

Watch at 1:26 , his racket is straight then after contact , his arm goes across to the side (That's not to say there aren't other ways,and other scenarios. If you can then be clearer what you mean but at least give the timeframe(s) in the video to what you are referring to)..

#188 ralphz, Jan 8, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
  9. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    I mean like in Andrew's video the swing seems to be more of a swipe to his right side (and ending cross body) than rather the almost straight up and down stroke Coach Won teaches.

There is also the point of contest about the chest expansion thing... I'll try both but it seems to be a smaller detail I can worry about at a later time.

10. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    Training Update: Back To The States
    So my month in Korea is basically over, and today was a very sweet goodbye from my club, they had prepared some gifts for me and also was able to grab lunch with my coach who is super cool. But these are just side details, here's the footage from the last few days:

Overall I think I've improved. I've finally been taught real rotation, and the intensity and rallies of my double matches have improved to reflect that. Overhead strokes while not perfect feel better, and I'm definitely utilizing more of my body (I'm more actively engaging the forearm with intention, and my back lat muscle is killing me as I type this up).

Of course 1 month is too short to change things, but if all goes well and I graduate this semester, I'll be able to come back as an English teacher pretty soon and those are 1 year contracts, and I plan to stay for maybe 2 years? So that'll give me lots of time to work out a solid training plan with the coach.

It'll be back to doing solo footwork drills, and the occasional partner is feeding me for other drills. but can't wait to see if I've improved any against my friends. Guess we'll know in a few days hehe.

11. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

Looking at asadafgs's video i'm seeing some but not much of the forearm pronation part e.g. if you watch 0:03 to 0:04 Whether that is because he intentionally stopped it on contact(which is a technique, though i'm not sure if he was trying to do that, and there would be better examples of that!), or whether that's because he just didn't demonstrate it, perhaps he can answer re that.

But either way, what he's doing is not a swipe, His arm is moving across AFTER contact. Whereas if it were a swiping movement, the arm would be moving across before contact. Anyhow swiping would be a bad thing.

Sometimes one does want the racket to make a sideways movement across the shuttle, called brushing, but it's called brushing when it's done intentionally, and there are some differences between a brush, and a swipe, one of which is that the latter is a mistake.. You're meant to be trying to "hit through" here!

what are you talking about?! Rotation of your forearm? Rotation in doubles which are a set of movement patterns?

12. asadafgs

asadafgs Regular Member

I don't know what pronation is, sorry! If it looked funny, it's probably because it wasn't a continuous swing

13. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

there are so many badminton and other videos on youtube showing and saying what pronation is, and it has been mentioned enough times on the forum, and we are living in an age where the internet exists and has existed for a while now, and you are using the internet too, and this is a written forum. There isn't really an excuse to just say "dunno what that is".

#193 ralphz, Jan 8, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
    precrime3 likes this.
  14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Two years of training and games and you’ll be an awesome singles player.

Most classes will be evening and weekends right? That would leave you free in the daytime to work with the coach who would be very free.

I would say getting that overhead hitting point optimised has to be a big thing now that you are really committed to badminton.

ralphz likes this.
  15. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    Actually opposite - I'll probably be teaching during the day with my lessons in the weekends or nights. Regardless it would be cool :)

And yeah really working on getting that optimized asap!!

16. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    Just realized what you guys mean by when my smashes and overhead is too panhandle.
    When I bring my racket head back (prep) the racket face is facing forward (so enemy can see the strings) but the head should be facing sideways (enemy only sees frame) so that when I swing I HAVE to pronate before impact.
    I’ll make a video later, but right?!

17. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

Please point to a timeframe in any of the demonstrations of correct form that people have posted, showing what you are talking about. I am quite curious to see anybody doing what you are writing of there!

18. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

It's often tought that way. It probably forces you to actively supinate in the first part of the stroke to be able to pronate when hitting the shuttle, but I wouln't call it wrong. That also depends on how high or low you hold the racket
    That's what I prefer to teach when I have new students without other habits. It gives a shorter path to a completely passive supination before the stroke, but this is a detail that shouldn't be relevant wether you pronate or not.

Just from a quick glimpse at your videos, it looks like your letting the head of the racket drop when pulling back your elbow, that should be changed, you can keep the racket head a bit higher anyway. Where your strings are facing is not the culprit for the panhandle problem though. If it helps you, change it, but don't focus on irrelevant details.

If in doubt, do what @Cheung says.

19. khoai

khoai Regular Member

nothing to see here

#199 khoai, Jan 12, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
  20. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    Oh really? For me having the racket sideways helps with passively enforcing it, but I also make sure to actively engage the pronation in order to get more power. I'll record today.

As for my head of the racket - where should it be? I don't know if I just don't understand but I can't think of a way of pulling my elbow back that doesn't result in my head dropping...

Didn't realize it was irrelevant ;/ it helped me a ton lol