I feel I have a lot to work on, but where should I start first?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by precrime3, Jan 31, 2020.

1. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    Played doubles and I did also play some singles with some lower level people so I could really focus on footwork and proper grip/technique.
    Badminton justin has been helping me personally, got to get on a call with him and he's really helped me out with a plan for what to work on.

He thinks working on fundamentals will be important, and that its better for me to nail my grip and footwork first before even talking about doubles strategy for my upcoming tournaments.

In the video today, don't really see much footwork from my hand.

This seems a dumb question but is double footwork just the same as singles footwork, but like you have half a court instead?

Anyways we lost the match today and it really tilted me more than it should've lol

2. Mason

Mason Regular Member

When it comes to doubles verse singles footwork, although they are different , the basic movements patterns going to each corner will be used in doubles.
    For example a few times in your game you went from the middle of the court to the backhand side of the court and your Did a smash. If you were able to improve that footwork pattern , your smash would be sharper because you can get further behind the shuttle. You also will recover better. Keep working on basic footwork patterns and if badminton Justin is willing to help you that’s great.

like I mentioned to you I personally like to work on things that will provide the greatest impact on my game. For example in your case it’s footwork.

secondly though there are other things that are fairly easy to fix that will give you way more points in your games.
    1.) STOP LIFTING THE SERVES!!
    Doubles is all about getting on the attack and for some reason you are willing to give them the attack every time you return a serve. That is a bad habit and by fixing this you will see the tides turn in your game. Like I mentioned to you in the phone, in order to be able to return a serve more aggressively you need to be closer to the line. Try being one foot closer than you are used to and get get comfortable with that. Your goal should be to NEVER lift a serve. Also make sure to have your left foot forward when you return a serve, many times your right foot is forward and that is not correct. Once again the reason I think you should work on this is because in doubles , in general the team that gets in the attack wins the rally , and the first couple hits usually determines who gets on the attack, so if you can work on this, you will notice a huge improvement in the number of points from your team.

3. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

He should indeed have his racket foot / left foot, back when returning serve, And he'd struggle getting to flick serves otherwise. That's the reason for having the racket foot back when returning serve.

Technically, if somebody were to only ever do low serves(as may happen with some players at beginner level), and given the same returning position, but with your feet were switched like that, then the racket arm / right arm, can actually be further forward. So an attack on a low serve could be more lethal. But people don't do it because they need to get the flick serve. Some may do it to mess around, once in a blue moon, in a game that isn't serious and shock an "only low serving" opponent that hasn't noticed the funny stance, with a blistering attack. One poster here, a very good player, wrote of doing it in non-serious games, as a joke to bait a flick serve, but they are so quick they'd still get the flick serve, and because they knew the flick was coming, they were super ready for it.

I think with one of precrime's opponents in one match their "flick" was so bad that when he stuck his racket up it was in reach of his racket.

@precrime3 look at the way round your partner's feet are when he returns serve.. that's the recommended way. And obviously his stance is meant to be lower. but that' re stance is always the case with beginner players.