I Need Help Coaching Junior High-School

Discussion in 'Coaching Forum' started by drop2it, Jan 18, 2009.

1. drop2it

drop2it Regular Member

Part-Time Student, Full-time Badminton Fanatic
    I am 18 and have recently graduated High-School where I achieved reasonable success on the badminton team. As a way of returning the favor to my community, I am now the head coach for my old Junior High. On the side, I've opened a new year-round club at the school (exclusive for students) that now has a large membership base. Most of the club members will want to be on the School Team when the season comes around.

Here's the problem. Most of the kids have asked for extensive pre-season coaching, so I need some ideas for fun drills good for kids age 12-15. Some of the kids are quite good - for their age - but about 60% of them have never played competitively before. My biggest problem is therefore finding ways to keep the advanced players challenged without making practices impossible for the newbies. I do not have an assistant to help me.

I'm looking for drills/activities/games that will accelerate their grasp of the concepts of the game in a way that will be interesting to everyone, and will keep the attention of some of the younger children. The drills that I did in high-school are simply too comlicated/difficult as of yet.

Any suggestions?

2. TheBear

TheBear Regular Member

Can't you adapt the drills that you know to suit your trainees? It's relatively straightforward to create drills once you're clear about what it is you want to coach - is this perhaps a better way forward?