I Played with the Air Shuttle! Check out the results

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Borkya, May 7, 2020.

1. Borkya

Borkya Regular Member

teacher
    So I got the AirShuttle and I brought it to the beach along with a feather shuttle and a normal plastic shuttle for comparison. And then I filmed it for my youtube channel 'natch. :p Here is what it was like!

kwun, Super85, endFX and 1 other person like this.
  2. mater

mater Regular Member

Postal Worker
    Haha. In the beginning, you were talking about going to buy the shuttle and Azhi is behind you waving and looking behind, it's like he is waving "no, we're not" and also checking to see that no one sees you two heading out to buy this monstrosity.

The owner at the shop was probably like, "yes, we got some suckers in the off load this".

I guess the beach is the torture test scenario for the shuttle. It probably would fair better in some courtyard, street or area not completely wide open.

Though, you have a lot of truth in your video. We haven't seen the shuttle demonstrated longer than 1-2 hits on all the promo videos. All promo videos I've seen show quick cuts only.

If you can, provide a verbal update later of how it is in less open area? Like is it better than the beach test or if it's the same...

Either way, thanks for the review and it did look like you two had fun, even if it was mostly chasing an un-hittable shuttle.

3. mater

mater Regular Member

Postal Worker
    You mentioned about the unpredictability of the shuttle off the racket. The design of the shuttle is flared out considerably, maybe you two were not focused on pointing the cork facing the racket right from the start of serve? Could some of the mis-hits be due to hitting the flared end of the plastic during the initial serve? Hard to see in the video. Just a thought.

4. Borkya

Borkya Regular Member

teacher
    Actually, that kinda happened, haha. We were asking him about it and he was all shrugging his shoulders like "I dunno." I'm not a snob with much in the badminton world, I'll play with any brand racket and my clothes/shoes are small no name brands, but I am a shuttle snob, and I think I get that from the badminton community in general. Every group, even the most basic beginner groups, play with a high standard of feather shuttles, and any plastic shuttle is basically laughable. The guys at the Victor shop are very high level players and basically wouldn't lower themselves to play with plastic, even if it is their companies product, lol.

As for the flair, maybe? With each shuttle, after we hit it a few times, we would adjust our speed and direction based on how it was reacting in the wind. With the air shuttle it was a bit harder because sometimes it cut through the wind so easily and other times it would catch the wind and double back. But it wasn't the wind changing, as by the water the wind was pretty consistent in the same direction, it was more an unknowable factor which we couldn't adjust for. But in general we got to hit it 2-3 times in a row which the other shuttles we couldn't.

5. mater

mater Regular Member

Postal Worker
    2-3 hit rally is still a disappointment to me. You and Azhi weren't trying to win points, just rally between of you. I'm hoping for close to double digits for a successful outdoor design, otherwise I think it's back to the drawing board for BWF.

6. RichF

RichF Regular Member

No wonder they held off for so long, it doesn't really deliver what was promised.