Improving your Club's Game Standard

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Abdullah Ahmad AAK, Aug 15, 2020.

1. Abdullah Ahmad AAK

Abdullah Ahmad AAK Regular Member

How do I get my badminton club to improve?

The players there are not very keen on improving, and still use outdated positioning strategies in men doubles. They are not keen on changing their habits which they have gotten over the past many years.

Also, my advice is generally considered less valuable as I have played badminton only for 2 years, never gotten coached, never won any tournament, and am very young compared to the older players (I play better than many of them). All I have is ton of research from online forums and coaches and some insights from watching international rallies.

How do I make them snap out of it? Please help because I can't bear seeing my club being one of the worst clubs in the city and being thrashed by everyone.

^P.S:
    I am affiliated with the club due to it being representative of my housing society and it being one where all my friends play.

2. llrr

llrr Regular Member

You might need to just .. pick a new club. I get that you have friends at this club and you have reasons to wanting to continue, but in every country/city/region there are clubs that play seriously and have training sessions and there are clubs where it's mostly just social and exercise central. There is no way to change it if your club is the latter.

ucantseeme likes this.
  3. Magwitch

Magwitch Regular Member

Are you certain they are not keen on improving, or is that more an interpretation based on them being unwilling to change their games? You could nominate for the Committee. Our club has just started a two hour coaching session for beginners from an hour before one of the regular sessions to an hour in.

Abdullah Ahmad AAK likes this.
  4. Budi

Budi Regular Member

How long you play with this club?
    If its quite awhile, well even if they actually improve theirs stroke quality & better footing, habbit cant be changed easily.
    When you play with a group for long time you kinda able to read them thus maked it like they didnt grow as they use the same pattern or strategy. Unlike they with coach or a pro, they change strategy in every point to test opponent weakness & create an opening. No coach player rarely play strategy games but just did what he did best with all their best skill over & over in the same pattern.
    So thats why i like to play with stranger as you will get more color of games. Well, if you really are worthy enough, pretty sure some people will want to challange you or if they are kinda shy type, you can challange them instead.
    So find a different club. I play 2x a week on 2 different club.

Abdullah Ahmad AAK likes this.
  5. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    You can't change people, you can only change yourself. I suggest to look for a club which is more serious. Never got hold back by the enviroment. I know it might be hard for you due friendship, but if they are your friends, they want that you are happy instead of suffering or beeing unhappy in the wrong enviroment for you ambition.