Increased unforced errors with aged string ?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by blablabla21, Oct 9, 2017.

1. blablabla21

blablabla21 Regular Member

Hi guys,

I just noticed that I make more unforced errors when the string has been used after a few sessions. When the string is fresh, I mean just got it after a string job, I feel that I have very good control over the shuttle especially for drops and net shot from low position. The drops were really close to the nets, landed exactly where I imagined. And net shots went just pass the net even for those difficult ones from low positions. But when the string ages, probably after playing for 10+ hours, the precision starts disappearing. The shuttle does not land where I would like it to land.

I know this is largely due to my technique and lack of consistent form. I am just wondering has anybody feel the same ?

2. asadafgs

asadafgs Regular Member

Does fresh string play better? Definently. But fme it really doesn't affect my control much.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

3. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

It's not even funny anymore how much old strings affect my play. I need to have at least 2 weeks (depends on how much I play) fresh strings or I don't feel confident.

Aventus and ucantseeme like this.
  4. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I think it also depends which unforced errors you are talking bout. Some strings perform like a champ on first date but drop a huge amount of tension. I use VS850 because I got a deal which was too good to say no and restring every 3-4 weeks, but can't play much atm.

I wouldn't say that I can't hit the shuttle anymore or something like that, but I need to make adjustments for my netplay, because I don't feel the shuttle well anymore or also experienced that I hit more often too long for lifts or clears. IMO if the tension drops you need to make adjustments. I also experienced that drives don't leave as fast the stringbed as usual and that the control decrease slightly with a dropping tension is nothing new.

Aventus likes this.
  5. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    Treat it as driving a car. The distance required stopping a car is affected by the weather and the conditions of the brakes. Playing badminton is no different.

6. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    At first yes. The shuttle flies a lot further on clears or lifts so that increases the amount of errors you'd get in a game with old strings after a few days vs fresh strings / the tension you're used to.

You do adjust to it after some time.

ucantseeme likes this.
  7. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    Every 3 months i will change the string for BG65 even it don't breaks .

8. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I agree. It's like playing with a slightly faster shuttles, which is within the speed test tolerance level. You just need to adjust.

Aventus and swsh like this.
  9. blablabla21

blablabla21 Regular Member

I feel like the problem is the behavioral change after the string gets old is not linear. I certain feel that the string bends further as I lift which make the shuttle fly a bit further. But as I was doing drop shot from mid court, the shuttle quite often land short. Felt like the string has less repulsion. Maybe pre stretch will help ?

10. heroclass

heroclass Regular Member

Yes i agree, the older strings will lose its elasticity and will seem to "lack" feedback through time. Physically it only makes sense. It will lose tension through time. I think there are players who play well with the factor of feedback from the racquet. Thats why there are so many different specs interms of strings and racquet and flexibility of the racquet no? But I also feel that technique and skills should not be affected from the racquet. As long as you're technique and swings are proper and consistent, the feedback from the racquet shouldn't make a big difference