Increasing upper body strength - workout at home?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by AreYouEvenMad, Mar 7, 2017.

1. AreYouEvenMad

AreYouEvenMad Regular Member

So, in order to improve my game overall, I've deceided that it would be helpful to do some fitness workout, especially for my upper body strength/stability. Only problem is, I need to do this at home, since I cant afford to go to the gym, so thats why im looking for some good exercises? Right now, I have:

1.) Planking
    2.) Normal pushup
    3.) Sideway pushup
    4.) Crunches
    5.) Bench dips

Are these exercises useful to train all the important muscles? Is there anything else I could add? As I said, no gym, and right now I dont have any weights either. I might get some, but before I buy anything I want to be sure, I'll actually do this regularly and don't stop after 1 week :D

Thanks for your help ;)

2. realbacon

realbacon Regular Member

Your routine is a decent start, but I would say it only covers about half of your upper body. You need back exercises as well.

I use this bodyweight fitness routine when I have the time:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/wiki/kb/recommended_routine

It involves a full core plank warmup, upper body work for both chest and back, core exercises, and even legs!
    The only equipment you *need* is a floor and perhaps something to do the horizontal rows exercise. But the rows can be done on a sturdy table, a bedsheet hanging from the door....lots of options! Somewhere to do pullups and dips may be found later on after you meet the prerequisite strength.

I personally skip the section of skill work, as this routine is pretty general and can lead into gymnastics exercises. Of course, if you have time/interest you can. Let me know if you have any questions.

3. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Lots of good options out there with Calisthenics related routines. But what is your goal? Injury prevention i.e. stability? Then you don't need to do half as much as most routines suggest. Is your goal to build strength? Then make sure you do it smart (not just as many reps of a given exercise as you can - strength building should be done slowly over time). Is your goal to build muscle, then thats different again.

For general strength and injury prevention, I would highly recommend any course by GMB Fitness!

For general fitness (not upper body), then Insanity is awesome :)

Good luck!