India Badminton

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by limsy, Dec 13, 2009.

1. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    it would help more if those companies used the same advertisements worldwide but they, and all companies, don't. it's called target marketing.

for example: you won't see pvs on a bridgestone or nokia ad in the usa. they'll use someone more well known to americans.

that's the purpose of marketing/advertising.

2. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Indeed. All the top 10 in the Forbes list don't necessarily have market value in all over the world. I never see a single ad featuring foregin players except cricket in India. Does it mean they are not famous? . Your argument is most likely an European point of view ? .

3. Baddyforall

That's what i meant to tell him. That US brand never used Serena Williams for Stayfree here. It would be an utter flop if they used their service.

4. Baddyforall

Oops. My bad.

5. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Well, if someone claims a person is well-known worldwide, and a large majority of European fans (possibly excluding Danes, although I've heard even the Danish players don't have a huge amount of followers) don't know of that person, and absolutely no one in the Americas or Africa knows that person, you have a weird definition of world-wide. I gave America as a specific example in addition to (western) Europe as those are two very important regions if you want to make money from a brand. Asia is most certainly relevant as well, no doubt, but far from 'worldwide'.

I don't understand your first sentence btw. What do you mean?

Regarding the question if only BC users recognize players: certainly not. But polling BC or taking the average BC user as an example for an average badminton fan is quite faulty, as most people here are in the 'huge fan' category, and far from average in terms of their involvement in the sport and everything surrounding it. Take the discussions about equipment as an example, there are people here that discuss string patterns and experiment with variations. What percentage of players/fans does that? Less than 1%, surely. More than that recognize the successful players, yes, but there's only a small fraction that recognize almost every Top10 player or pair. It's quite shocking at times (I'd have assumed most people would have known about all Olympic finalists, at least), but that's just how it is.

6. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

If you read my comments carefully, you'll see that I never said anything about her fame. I simply said that the term 'worldwide' is not accurate in this case - I would personally take that to mean that a sizeable portion of at least the sport's followers across Europe, America, Asia know of that person. From my personal experience (as I pointed out quite clearly), that is not the case for Sindhu. Or a lot of other badminton players.

7. Baddyforall

US and all other European Countries where Badminton is not popular definitely does not have luxury of watching badminton players. All other Asian Countries where people play badminton regularly will have a chance of knowing players even though they don't play that sport.

That goes for all sports. Do you believe it or not, for marketing a product, we choose local celebrity first instead of going for international fame ones. This is how all the system works.

8. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I never doubted any of that. I said the claim PVS is a known sports figure worldwide is a massive overstatement. Nothing you said goes against that.

9. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Aparna Popat made her personal opinion about "world wide fame", the main article is primarily about fame in India. In 2014 PV Sindhu was an unknown name in India outside badminton circles and national media. Her 2016 Olympic Silver medal was her turning point to big money and becoming a household name in India.

PV Sindhu is well known in badminton powerhouse nations like China, Indonesia, Korea, Denmark and rising badminton nations Japan, Thailand among others. She may not be as popular as Lin Dan, Lee Chong Wei, Taufik Hidayat, Peter Gade in badminton circles but that is not the point.

Sindhu has earned a name for herself and in India the female badminton players, Saina Nehwal and PV Sindhu have made badminton the second most popular sport next to cricket. They have energised the grassroots level and their success has increased support from government and corporates which keeps increasing each year.

By making it to the Forbes list of top 9 highest female athletes which are dominated by Americans and Europeans it is an achievement. While tennis dominates this list with 8 players, it is amazing that an Asian badminton player made this list. PV Sindhu will get noticed in countries where Forbes magazine is read. Sindhu is indirectly promoting badminton and bringing awareness that money can be made. It is an eye opener that PV Sindhu earns more money than the World No.1 tennis player Simona Halep. This is an indirect promotion for badminton and is making headlines around the world. :)

Link: https://qz.com/1367757/p-v-sindhu-the-indian-badminton-star-makes-more-than-the-best-tennis-players/
    A female Indian badminton star makes more money than the world’s best tennis player

BBC link: https://www.bbc.com/sport/olympics/45268565
    PV Sindhu: How India's Olympic badminton star became a sponsors' dream on £126,000 a week
    By Michael Emons

BBC Sport
    [​IMG]
    PV Sindhu became the first Indian woman to win an Olympic silver medal in 2016

It was no surprise when Serena Williams topped the Forbes list of highest-earning female athletes released earlier this week, but you may have not recognised the name of the woman in seventh place.

Pusarla Venkata Sindhu, more commonly known as PV Sindhu, is a 23-year-old badminton player from India and became only the second Indian competitor, male or female, to win an Olympic badminton medal with a silver at the 2016 Rio Olympics.

Her on-court winnings last year totalled $500,000 (£387,000) but endorsements saw Sindhu bring in an extra $8m (£6.2m) in sponsorship in sports-mad India. That works out as a weekly income of $163,000 (£126,000).

That is more than earned by Simona Halep, the WTA world number one as of 22 August, and the top seed for the 2018 US Open.

Sindhu comes from a sporting background with both her parents playing volleyball at national level, but she took up badminton aged six when inspired by Pullela Gopichand, who won the men's singles event at the All England Open Badminton Championships in 2001.

Her life and career changed during the women's singles competition at the 2016 Olympics. She was only seeded ninth but gained wins over eighth seed Tai Tzu-ying of Chinese Taipei in the last 16, China's second seed Wang Yihan in the quarter-finals and Japan's sixth seed Nozomi Okuhara in the semi-finals before losing to Spain's world number one Carolina Marin in the final.

10. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Link 1: https://www.news18.com/news/sports/...le-shuttlers-after-asiad-washout-1856733.html

Time to Hit ‘Refresh’ For India’s Male Shuttlers After Asiad Washout
    Srikanth’s compatriot, HS Prannoy, who was beaten by the non-fancied Ygor Coelho of Brazil in the pre-quarters of WC, also made an early exit from the Asian Games, ending India’s men’s singles campaign in Indonesia earlier than most badminton followers would have anticipated.
    Suprita Das | News18 Sports

Updated:August 25, 2018, 4:48 PM IST

The signs were there. Earlier this month, Kidambi Srikanth crashed out of the World Championships in China in the pre-quarter final stages. His opponent, 31 year old Daren Liew of Malaysia, who had in fact beaten him five years ago. This time too, Liew took just about 40 minutes to beat Srikanth 21-18, 21-18, with no challenge whatsoever from the Indian.

Couple of weeks later in the men’s team event at the Asian Games, the World No. 8 lost in three games to Indonesia’s Anthony Ginting. Days later, in the individual event, when Srikanth faced Hong Kong’s Wong Vincent, he put up a fight yet again, but went down 21-23, 19-21 to make a shock second round exit.

Srikanth’s compatriot, HS Prannoy, who was beaten by the non-fancied Ygor Coelho of Brazil in the pre-quarters of WC, also made an early exit from the Asian Games, ending India’s men’s singles campaign in Indonesia earlier than most badminton followers would have anticipated.

For a country whose male shuttlers were just about starting to rise to prominence after years of staying in the shadows of Saina and Sindhu, there seems to have been a sudden dip in the performance. At roughly the same time last year, two Indian men were, for the first time, playing each other in a global badminton final – B Sai Praneeth and Kidambi Srikanth in the Singapore Open Super Series, that the former won.

Super Series titles, as anyone who follows the sport will tell you, are the sport’s highest level of competition. You have to play six extremely good rounds of badminton without any gaps in between to get your hands on the trophy. In 2017, Srikanth won four of them. His wins came against Olympic and World champions. Prannoy too beat the likes of Lee Chong Wei and Chen Long.

Earlier this year, in fact, Srikanth even became World No. 1 although it was only for a very little while. However, with the ranking, the consistency has fallen too.

“After the high of last year, you can see the dip, and it’s inevitable,” says former Asian champion Dinesh Khanna. “When the inconsistencies creep in, it leads to loss in confidence, and I think we can see that in his game now. Even weaker opponents can take games out of him in such a situation.”

The workload on modern day badminton player is tremendous, and the calendar is gruelling. Those in the top 15 have to play a minimum of 12 tournaments a year. Now, in a year which also has the Commonwealth Games, Asian Games, and of course, the World Championships, fulfilling that commitment is bound to take its toll on the body, and hence affect the results.

“Post the Commonwealth Games they played a couple of Super Series tournaments. I think there was a lack of long term planning,” says former India No. 1 Parupalli Kashyap. “Both Srikanth and Prannoy didn’t look fit enough to me. Srikanth was under pressure, and it was showing in his body language.”

Even though the bulk of the players on the international circuit are Asian, to take them on in a tournament like the Asian Games is different, simply because it’s a tournament that comes once in four years.

“In 2014, I played the Commonwealth Games, World Championships and Asian Games all ten days within each other, and my body just couldn’t take it,” says Kashyap. “That’s why in these tournaments, rankings don’t matter. And if you go in to them tired or unfit, then you’re already a step behind. Movements become heavier because you’re mentally not fresh. Easy shots can go wrong, and the game becomes more physical than it already is because your mind is loaded, and not giving the body the support it needs.”

The key then is to pick and choose tournaments. Play base level tournaments if need be, refresh the mind and body, and then start with smaller tournaments, once ready. But it’s easier said than done. To get off the circuit for a few months means losing valuable ranking points, which are a struggle to gain while on a comeback trail. Not to mention, there’s a lot riding on today’s badminton players. The sport’s profile has changed drastically over the years.

That an Indian badminton player would ever feature on a Forbes list for the ten richest sportswomen of the world was unthinkable, but PV Sindhu has made that happen. It’s not just the coaches or fans who have expectations from them, but sponsors too.

“In 2015, when I wasn’t playing for four months or so due to an injury, I realised I hadn’t got my quarterly payment from a sponsor,” says Kashyap.

There are clauses in player contracts about pay cuts if the player is out of action for a certain period of time.

Now for someone like Lin Dan, who took a year’s break after the Olympics, to recharge his batteries, it doesn’t matter. But for Indian players to apply the same formula is next to impossible.

Which is why, they will be heading for the Japan Open soon after the Asian Games. Unless coach Pullela Gopichand draws up a different plan after the poor string of results, but more importantly the long term damage the wear and tear of being on the road constantly, may cause.

Link 2: https://www.sportstarlive.com/asian...nton-wong-wing-ki-vincent/article24771306.ece

Asian Games: Srikanth, Prannoy crash out
    India’s campaign ends in men’s singles.
    STAN RAYAN

JAKARTA
    24 AUGUST, 2018 17:15 IS

[​IMG]

Kidambi Srikanth came into the match with a 5-2 head-to-head record against Wong Wing Ki but it didn’t matter as the Hong Kong shuttler proved to be a better player on the evening. - AFP

Right from the time he landed in Jakarta for the Asiad, K. Srikanth had appeared very low on confidence. He did not look the player who had been the World No. 1 just four months ago. When one asked him about the field here the other day, he said he had more to worry about his own game than about others.

Hong Kong’s Wing Ki Wong Vincent, the World No. 28, came up with some fine end-game play as he jolted the sixth-seeded Indian 23-21, 21-19 in the men’s singles first round at the GBK Istora Stadium here on Friday evening.

A couple of hours later, the Indian campaign ended in men’s singles with World No. 11 H. S. Prannoy losing to Thailand’s Kantaphon Wangcharoen, the No. 20, 12-21, 21-15, 15-21.

Despite their best-ever World ranking going into an Asiad, the Indians have not forgotten the pressure that comes when they play at the continental event. P. V. Sindhu, the women’s World No. 3, was left rattled by Vietnams Vu Thi Trang on Thursday and on Friday, it was Srikanth’s turn and later Prannoy’s, too.

Srikanth, the highest-ranked Indian player among men here, led 15-11 in the opening game but he frittered away the advantage soon and the two were level at 17. And as the game spilled into extra points, Srikanth choked.

Costly mistakes

The second game was close for a major part but the Indian was slightly ahead at 18-16. And the turning point came when the unseeded Hong Kong player took four points in a row and that floored the sixth seed.

Srikanth was shattered. Chief coach Gopi Chand said his trainee could have handled the end points better. “It was a match that could have gone either way. A couple of mistakes in both the games in the end were what cost him,” said Gopi. “Wing Ki is a decent player and he played really well. But Srikanth could have done better in the end.”

Prannoy had nothing much to say after the loss. “I’m tired,” he mumbled as he walked away.

samkool likes this.
  11. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Link: https://scroll.in/field/891958/badm...nt-saina-nehwal-breaks-her-asian-games-hoodoo

Badminton: At long last, a resilient Saina Nehwal breaks her Asian Games hoodoo
    The 28-year-old was considered a title favourite in 2010 but lost in the quarterfinals and that had led to some friction with coach Gopichand.
    [​IMG]
    Saina Nehwal | AFP
    Abhijeet Kulkarni

Soon after Saina Nehwal and PV Sindhu ensured that India would win at least two badminton medals from the 2018 Asian Games, nine-time national champion and now a commentator, Aparna Popat tweeted about how she was fed up of people asking her why India doesn’t enjoy success at the Asian Games.

The other person who would have been haunted by the 36-year individual medal drought in the Asian Games since 1982 would have been Saina Nehwal. Seeded second, the then 28-year-old was touted to win the gold medal eight years ago in Guangzhou given that she had won three back-to-back titles and her first Commonwealth Games gold in the second half of the year and was the player in form.

More than that head-to-head record, Nehwal had clearly got the hang of how to counter Ratchanok’s strengths with better control at the net and not allowing her to get under the shuttle to play her cross court drops.

A come-from-behind win
    All she had to do was maintain her focus and keep the belief. And she did that brilliantly as she came back from a 3-11 deficit in the opening game to beat Ratchnok in straight games to ensure that she completed her set of medals in all world and continental competitions. She will now face top seed Tai Tzu Ying of Chinese Taipei in the semi-finals.

Later speaking to reporters, Nehwal admitted that she had followed Gopichand’s instructions of keeping the phone away once the individual events started and just focus on the job at hand.

Even the high decibel levels at the Istora Senayan, the venue of badminton event, did not affect Nehwal and probably spurred her on when she was struggling to keep pace with Ratchnok. After all, it is a venue where the 28-year-old has won her first Superseries title back in 2009, reached her first and only BWF World Championship final in 2015 and has been a darling of the Indonesian badminton fans ever since she started challenging the hegemony of the Chinese 10 years ago.

When Scroll.in contacted Gopichand in Jakarta, the chief national coach did not divulge much about the pre-match preparations he asked Nehwal to follow but admitted that they did have a chat about it before the start of the singles event. “We didn’t really discuss anything (about the 2010 campaign) but I did speak to her about the mental and tactical preparation and I am very happy that we have both of them in the semifinals,” he said.

It was probably apt that Nehwal reached there first, thanks to the scheduling of the matches and would therefore be the first Indian women’s singles player to be assured of a medal in the Asian Games. Given the 28-year-old’s contribution in raising the profile of the sport in the country, she well and truly deserved the honour to end the 36-year medal drought on Sunday.

While Gopichand and even Nehwal and Sindhu would have been confident about reaching the last four once the draw was made it was important for them to not lose focus. While Sindhu got a wake up call in the opening match against Vietnam’s Vu Thi Trang (B) in the opening match, Nehwal hardly broke sweat in the opening two rounds and was in total control once she staged a fight back against Ratchnok in the first game on Sunday.

Sindhu had to work harder in the quarterfinals against Nitchaon Jindapol but she also ended up completing her set of medals from all major competitions at the continental and world level and would now be hoping to complete a hat-trick of wins over second seed Akane Yamaguchi to reach the summit clash.

An all-Indian final is a realistic possibility given that even Tai Tzu Ying isn’t looking as invincible as she was a few months ago and Nehwal did manage to run her close during their last meeting in the Badminton Asia Championship in April.

If that happens, it would be the icing on the cake for Indian badminton fans.

12. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Asian Games Individual Event 2018
    India finish with 2 medals, silver and bronze. PV Sindhu
    plays to expectations and Saina Nehwal surprises with a medal. India earn their first silver medal in individual events at the Asian Games and WS delivers 2 medals from 0. Tai Tzu Ying was exceptional and it required immense mental strength and a good game plan to have any chance. Both Saina and Sindhu had a few good moments but were not able to sustain the pressure and the errors flowed as their mental resolve was broken. The girls at least returned with medals and that is some consolation as 0 medals was a possibility.

I have already spoken about Indian MS after the team event and the writing was on the wall after their WC performance. How long will they perform below par? Mental conditioning is an urgent requirement but I don't think they know how to build mental strength.

In doubles, 1 WD pair Ashwini Ponappa/ Sikki Reddy made QF. They played well in game 2, 22-24 against the eventual Gold medal pair Jia Yifan/Chen Qingchen. We have to see how they evolve over the next 2 years.

While MD went out early, the pairs showed some fighting spirit before going out. Satwik Rankireddy/Chirag Shetty beat a Hong Kong pair in round 1 and lost a 3 game thriller 17-21, 21-19, 17-21 to the Korean pair Choi Solgyu/Kang Min Hyuk. Next year we should see Satwik/Chirag making semifinals and in 2020 winning a few tournaments, building up to the Thomas Cup and Olympics. Manu Attri/Sumeeth Reddy surprised me with their performance against Li Junhui/Li Yuchen, losing in 3 games 13-21, 21-17, 22-24. India also has 2 younger pairs waiting in the wings, the next 2 years will determine if Manu/Sumeeth will make the 2020 teams or the younger pairs. Good signs for doubles. :)

13. Baddyforall

Really surprising to see Nehwal getting a Bronze considering the physicality of current top WS players.
    There are so many top players who did not get medals this Asian games. Chen Yufei, He bingjiao, Nozomi Okuhara and Ratchanok Inthanon etc.

Whereas Sindhu as always reach finals . There should be a proverb like " If Sindhu is there, then (Certainly) Silver is there (for India)" .

When the draw is released for every major event, all the players in the route of sindhu will be worried . Because she will definitely reach finals of every major tournament. This time it is unfortunate, Akane Yamaguchi and Ratchanok were in the route of Sindhu and Saina. Otherwise, Both of them would have reached next round.

And also it is unfortunate, Tai entered finals. Otherwise, Sindhu is favourtite if any other player was in the final. She is second best in the world currently.

14. Baddyforall

2018 Asian Games, Jakarta: Silver

2016 Olympics, Rio de Janeiro: Silver

2018 World Championships, Nanjing: Silver

2017 World Championships, Glasgow: Silver

2014 World Championships, Copenhagen: Bronze ..

2013 World Championships, Guangzhou: Bronze

2014 Asian Games, Incheon: Bronze

2018 Commonwealth Games, Gold Coast: Silver

2014 Asian Championships, Gimcheon: Bronze ..

15. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Saina Nehwal and PV Sindhu

16. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Only because Marin wasn't in this tournament though, eh? Because there have been finals without TTY, mysteriously PVS didn't win those ;)

17. Baddyforall

Marin is not unbeatable like Tai Tzu ying. Sindhu has beaten her 3 times after Rio. But she could not defeat Tai Tzu ying after Olympics. She met 5 times but could not convert it into victory even for one time. For Marin, after Olympics, if Marin wins one, she wins next and the trend is going like that. So, i don't consider Marin in 'Invincible' category.

18. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Let's say it like this - just like with LCW, I'll always bet against PVS in a major final, provided it's a semi-competent opponent. To be entirely fair, it's more that both Marin and TTY are something of a mismatch for her - TTY too deceptive, Marin too fast and powerful, and almost as tall. PVS tends to do well against rally players, especiay shorter ones, intercepting a lot, saving energy (or at least taking fewer steps), but TTY cancels this by deceiving her a lot and just being better in all technical aspects.
    I'm curious whether she will actually turn into something of a less dominant LCW, always losing against (some of) the best player(s) of all time in major finals. Time will tell if TTY and Marin can reach/cement that status. Or maybe PVS can finally outdo them at some point :D

19. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Why talk about Marin? This tournament is only for Asians. It's like talking about the WD, MD, XD winners of the European Championships and saying they won only because Asia's top players are not a part of that tournament!

PV Sindhu beat Marin at the Malaysia Open 2018 in 2 games. :)

20. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Saying she's the second best player in the world is misleading though