India Badminton

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by limsy, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Not really.
    Sent from my SM-G600FY using Tapatalk

2. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Isnt English his first language.........? I guess we know why he's focusing on badminton :D but gz, not everyone can boast they beat their idol at their own game

3. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

I guess we can ignore the flaws in his English.

4. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    As reported by Time of India, funding for India sports will be cut by 22%. Hopefully, it won’t affect the future performance of India badminton.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    That's a big cut. Why?

6. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    Don’t know Indian politics well enough to know why. Just don’t understand why sport funding cut when Indian athletes have been doing well lately.

7. Baddie lover

Any link ? If done , then it'll take huge toll because still we are a cricket religious country. Also with Olympics coming up , such an awful decision to make.

8. Baddie lover

9. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    Don't know how to post link. You can try googling India sports tax cut.

Baddie lover likes this.
  10. Baddyforall

Lol. English is not first language to any of the Asian players. If i am not wrong , even German players come under this category.

Note:

Dey is focusing on Badminton because he likes it.

11. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I was under the impression that English was the first language of many Indians, but apparently that is only true for the well-educated parts of society, if Wikipedia is to be believed. My bad.

12. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

Digging the hole a little deeper....:D

13. Baddyforall

English is second language and that too for private schools. In Government schools, still the academics are in corresponding regional languages. India has so many states and all states have their own languages. So, indians generally know english to communicate among each other.

14. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Thanks for clearing it up a bit, reading the Wikipedia article on Indian language helped too :D certainly explains some things I've noticed with a lot of Indians' English. Thanks mate.

15. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

The article literally mentioned it like that, it was completely new to me. Otoh you can hardly be offended if you understand this comment.... ;D

16. Baddyforall

I am not offended by your statement. Infact, it is true in certain parts of india. It contributes only 1% or even less.
    But majority of indians know a basic knowledge of english not only needed to communicate to foreigners but to themselves as well. Even myself knew 4 languages.

17. Baddie lover

18. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    22 major regional languages. But each vary from. District to district. Total variants of above languages spoken - approximately 19,500! Many understand english - at least few words if not all. Majority cant speak. Many of those who manage to speak are quite good at it.

19. Baddyforall

https://www.sportstarlive.com/badmi...ampionship-tokyo-olympics/article25578644.ece

Excerpts:

Badminton legend Rudy Hartono Kurniawan threw his weight behind India shuttler P.V. Sindhu, saying she would pocket gold at the Tokyo Olympics in 2020 at a media interaction at the HATSUN Badminton Centre in Virudhunagar here on Thursday.

The Indonesian, who won the men's singles title at the prestigious All-England Championship eight times, is in the country to train students at the academy. And he backed India’s 23-year-old saying, “The qualification process for 2020 Olympics starts in April 2019. She should forget the past and move on. I would like to see her prepare well for big tournaments, such as the All England, World Championship and the Olympics. In my opinion, she will win [gold] at Tokyo.”

Badminton legend Rudy Hartono in a media interaction at the HATSUN Badminton Centre at Thiruthangal in Sivakasi. https://t.co/XRoUJhueoZ

— Sportstar (@sportstarweb) November 23, 2018
    Since 2016, Sindhu has lost nine major titles--she ended up being a runner-up in Rio Olympics, Commonwealth Games in Gold Coast and Asian Games in Jakarta -- but even then she drew praises from Hartono.

“She attacks too much. When you do the same thing over and over again, your opponent will start reading your game. But, Sindhu can achieve a lot more and hopefully, it will happen in the coming years,” Hartono, who is currently a member of the Board of Honour at PBSI (Badminton Association of Indonesia) added.

[​IMG]
    Rudy Hartono Kurniawan interacts with youngsters at the HATSUN Badminton Centre in Virudhunagar on Friday. - R. ASHOK

“Thing is, India depends a lot on a couple of players, resulting in a burden on them when they walk into tournaments. Why not have a few more players? China has a world class player in every category. The population here is huge and India is capable of producing more players at the highest level,” Hartono added.

In 1968, Hartono, then 18-year-old, became the youngest ever to win the All England Open title, beating Malaysia’s Tan Aik Huang. From then on, Hartono dominated the tournament, winning eight titles in all, from 1968 to 1976. This incredible feat earned Hartono a mention in the Guinness Book of World Records.

World No 10 Lin Dan qualified for the All England Open a record tenth time in 2018, but failed to win the title, going down to compatriot Shi Yuqi, keeping his title count six, unchanged. When asked whether he considers the Chinese still a threat to his record he laughs.

READ: Sindhu to skip Syed Modi event to focus on World Tour Final

“Lin Dan has already proved himself. But he has lost against me. He will not get seven titles in a row, so I lead that one,” joked the IBF (now BWF) Herbert Scheele awardee.

India has not seen a single major title in singles this year, though Saina Nehwal clinched one at the Gold Coast.

"Lin Dan has already proved himself. But he has lost against me. He will not get seven titles in a row, so I lead that one..."
    However, Hartono was all about backing India as he said, “I don't think India lacks in any regard. The likes of Sindhu and Srikanth are proof. They are world class. But they must prepare to get to the very top level. You need to win the top tournaments. That is what is important. When you do that, then you are ready. What they are doing now is only one step.”

With the Indonesian and now Chinese domination in badminton practically non-existent, with Asians and Europeans now coming into the fold, Hartono believes that the sport has grown through all these years, gradually evolving as a global sport. “People have caught up with changes and adapted. Length of the game, style. Happened many times, over the years,” he signed off.

badmuse and Baddie lover like this.