India Badminton

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by limsy, Dec 13, 2009.

1. mohans

mohans Regular Member

I thought HSP and BSP have skipped this tournament to get themselves ready for the most important olympic qualification period starting May. However it turns out to be something unimaginable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baddie lover likes this.
  2. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

I think it's a blessing in disguise as it allows the players to spend time training. HS Prannoy needs a lot of training. I wanted Saina Nehwal and PV Sindhu to pull out of this tournament and practice. BAI has also clarified that they received an email of 2 entries in MS and WS.

3. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I'm a bit doubtful about that email too be honest, sounds like someone just misread it and is now trying to cover their behind :D

mohans likes this.
  4. mohans

mohans Regular Member

Highly likely

5. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Srikanth lost to some unknown Indonesian today in straight games.
    Why are they struggling with li ning rackets?

6. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

What are you on about, he's been struggling for way longer than that....had a **** year under Yonex as well. Blaming athletes' inconsistency on equipment is pretty ridiculous :D

7. mohans

mohans Regular Member

An off day, I would assume. Nothing to do with li Ning equipment.

8. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Srikanth Kidambi will be wishing he had HS Prannoy's excuse of missing the tournament, the current form Prannoy is in he would have had an early exit as well. Srikanth has always been erratic so its not really a surprise to see him lose in R1. Gopichand takes credit when players do well, Gopichand should share responsibility when players perform below par.

Baddie lover likes this.
  9. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

Priyanshu Rajawat loses to top seed Kunlavut Vitidsarn in straight games at round of 16 of Thai Junior IC tournament.
    Meiraba Luwang won against second seed Christian Adinata of Indonesia in two straight games. He previously lost to him.
    Sole Indian MD pair of Navneet/Panjala lost in round of 16 to Thai pair. Samiya Imad also lost to second seed Zhou Meng of China in two straight games.

Rest of Indian team didn't impress here. Gayatri Gopichand, Vaishnavi Reddy also lost inconvincingly. India needs to produce better junior players. Quite impressed by Thai juniors. Next tournament will be Indonesia Junior GP.

badmuse likes this.
  10. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Meiraba Luwang is in the semifinals, after beating Hyeon Seung Park in 2 games. Meiraba has a good chance to make the final if he plays to potential. Most of our junior players have very little tournament exposure outside India. Some players also take time to mature.

11. Baddie lover

PV Sindhu, Saina Nehwal crash out of Badminton Asia Championships
    https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com..._medium=referral&utm_source=native_share_tray

Gopichand saying Indian shuttles are not getting enough time to practice as they are playing back to back tournaments.

That's the case with every shuttler of every country. This is a very bad excuse which he gave. He said the same thing too last year because of CWG, AG plus world tour which is understandable. But, till now he's not accepting that Indian shuttlers aren't doing well mainly PVS and KS.

12. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Gopichand's lame excuse will not fool me, as I don't have flowers in my ears. Gopichand continues to shy away from accepting responsibility. Everything will be swept under the carpet when someone gets a medal.

When Gopichand was asked to list the important tournaments he mentioned Olympics, Commonwealth Games, Asian Games but failed to mention Thomas/Uber Cup, Sudirman Cup. I don't view the Commonwealth games as important but a good opportunity for shuttlers to earn money if they get medals. Gopichand relies on individual brilliance to get medals and overlooks team tournaments as India have a long way to go before they can perform as a team.

Baddie lover likes this.
  13. Baddie lover

Exactly, well summarised. We are grateful to Gopi for what he's done for Indian Badminton. But there is always a scope of improvement or betterment. We somehow are at same level or at lower level from two years ago.

We don't have any backup players in WS. None. We don't have any quality MD pair after Chirag/Satwik (they have the potential) . We don't have any decent WD pair worthy of top level competition. Our XD pairs are non existent. We always focus on our singles in team events and make PVS do double duties. Sigh. And association brags what they have done. We are improving but countries like Japan, Thailand are improving at tremendous pace. Thailand Association needs to be given a pat for producing upcoming talents.

Baddyforall likes this.
  14. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Olympic Qualification starts tomorrow April 29, 2019, its going to be intense and tough. The Indian shuttlers who are tentative, complacent and not willing to move out of their comfort zone will flop. They need to be mentally tough, fearless and smart. The results have been disappointing so far this year. Awake from your slumber and play with passion, hoping for the best! :)

15. Baddyforall

At this pace, I would not be surprised if Kunlavut of Thailand qualify for olympics.
    Sindhu is definitely off the mark. They need to correct her immediately. Is it the korean style of coaching that hindering her or anything else?.

16. Baddie lover

Kunlavut won MS U19 and XD U19 (beating first seeds Chinese yesterday and second seeds Chinese today) finals of Thai junior international challenge today. He won a couple of senior IC tournaments two-three weeks ago. I also think he would qualify for Olympics if he's given chances. But it will be tough.

I think maybe PVS is distracted by modelling and commercials. She's been erratic but this year her inconsistency is of different level. I don't think that her form is down due to change of racquets or Korean coaching style. Moreover it's personal imo. Same case with Srikanth.

My picks for Olympics:

MS: BSP (if he maintains or improves his form and reach top 16) , KS
    WS: PVS, SN
    MD: Satwik/Chirag (don't want Many/Reddy)
    WD: Reddy/Ponappa (no hopes , just exposure)
    XD: Satwik/Ponappa

Baddyforall likes this.
  17. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

India Sudirman Cup Team announced. They have picked players based on highest ranking. Sai Praneeth misses out.

#3177 badmuse, Apr 30, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  18. mohans

mohans Regular Member

BAI fancies a win against MAS

badmuse and Baddyforall like this.
  19. Baddyforall

Nothing wrong in it, considering they have strong singles and one MD . But, malaysia may still has the upper hand.

badmuse likes this.
  20. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

I would have liked Sai Praneeth on the team but Sameer Verma earned his place. At least they chose the A team, so they have a fighting chance. It now goes down to the team, which plays well on the day. :)

Baddyforall likes this.