Indian Badminton League (IBL)

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by depleter, Nov 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    Injustice etc apart, I have always seen Jwala Gutta cribbing on one point or the other. And the basis would be she didn't get as much attention as Saina, even though she has done good enough! Never seen her happy.

2. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Yeah, like a sour-grapes prima donna! :D

But Ashwini makes a valid point about their not being treated as icons and not given the respect they deserved. After all, they were used for the promotion and lead-up, but the organisers didn't have the courtesy of informing them about the problems at the auction.

One word springs to mind: callous.

3. Xpert

Xpert Regular Member

Consultant
  4. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    This page really analysed many things about each and every player in Awadhe warriors. Really nice. Only one thing i wanna remember. K.Nandagopal is a great possibility to be fielded alongside k.maneesha to play XD. They are very very new pair compared to many known pairs of indian XD. But i hope they will do better than many indian XD.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    http://thecoachonibl.blogspot.fr/2013_07_01_archive.html

That blog is excellent and very informative. It provides information, with a very neutral viewpoint, for creating a winning team from the funds available. I was laughing at the naive comment by an anonymous poster - "Hence there is no need for jealously...she deserves more than this" - poor guy lost the plot.

6. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Even i have read that. In that posting, without knowing saina's fame and power in india , the author simply has posted something which is irrelevant. I don't think he has insight towards her extraordinary crowd pulling attraction (apart from her talent which automatically drags many young badminton players . I should say that only because of her, the idea of IBL would have originated.Each and every aspect is related to each other). Hats off to that comment given by that "anonymous" person.;):)

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

In fact, the anonymous person specifically mentioned Saina's ability to beat other players - not crowd pulling power. And like I commented upon, it's the ability to build a team - it's not exactly as if an ordinary Saina supporter can go down on court and help wipe sweat off her, give her a tonic drink, give her a massage etc.

Steen's viewpoint was from that of a match analyst- to refer to him as 'jealous' - well, mr anonymous must be smoking something extraordinarily good.

8. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one

Lol.. Let's see how he is going to explain everything. He did not even explain clearly about his mention about "Risky buys" .. So, only if he explains, it would have been better for everybody to discuss about it. But simply saying something like this will definitely attracts many criticisms like this. I wanna know what he will gonna explain further about this..

9. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    [h=1]IBL Will Benefit Indian Players: Aparna Popat[/h]
    http://www.indiatimes.com/sports/te...enefit-indian-players-aparna-popat-91820.html

EXCERPTS:

Gearing up for her new role as coach of the Indian Badminton League franchise Mumbai Masters, two-time Olympian shuttler Aparna Popat said the initiative would benefit the country's players.

"I think it's a huge opportunity. There are a few top 10 players, who are playing the IBL and giving our players a chance to play against these players in a span of three weeks, I think is going to be very useful and fruitful for them," Aparna said.

She was also excited about the challenge of coaching a team in the August 14-31 event to be held in six cities.

"I haven't coached too much, but I have been following the game keenly. It is going to be a big challenge for me and I am very excited," Aparna said.

"It's a team event. There is going to be a considerable amount of strategy involved. Each player has his/her own playing style, so we just have to see how our opponents play and who are our respective opponents," she added.

Asked about the chances of her team that includes men's world number one Lee Chong Wei of Malaysia, she said, "We wouldn't like to speculate at this stage. Given this kind of format of a game, unexpected results happen.

"So it is going to be tricky and since we need five matches to win, I don't think we can solely rely on one player. We are going to have to play as a team."

"Considering that we have only a limited kitty, all the teams have a couple of non-players on their side, but having said that Pranav Chopra is number one in doubles in our country. We have Siki Reddy who, I think, is number two in women's doubles in the country," she said.

"I am tremendously excited. They (Lee Chong Wei and Tine Baun) are great champions and it is brilliant to have them as part of our team," she said.

"We have a few top Indian players in the doubles side as well. Marc Zweibler is the European champion. (Vladimir) Ivanov, the Russian, is good to play all the events - singles, doubles and mixed doubles. I think we are okay with our team composition," Aparna quipped.

The IBL commences soon after the World Championships that would be held from August 5 to August 11 in Guangzhou, China, and the former India number one defended the timing of the event.

"The international badminton calendar is very full. At this stage having the tournament at any given date that is available, is the right thing to do. Otherwise, the tournament calendar is very full," Aparna pointed out.

The IBL format does not have women's doubles and Aparna explained that the organisers have their reasons for it.

"If you were to go by the Sudirman Cup format, then we are missing a women's doubles (team) but I think the IBL organisers have their own reason for not including it. This is what we have got as of now, and we are happy with it," she added.

The Chinese players are not participating in the inaugural edition of the tournament and Aparna is hopeful of seeing them in the next edition.

"Having them around would have been brilliant. They have a genuine reason not to be here and play this tournament since they have their national games at the end of August. The IBL is going to happen and hopefully we can see the Chinese participation next time around," Aparna said.

The IBL has found itself in a few problems but Aparna insisted they were minor.

"It is the first year that they are doing something. In a sport like badminton, where this hasn't happened before, there would be a few teething problems, but all in all if the tournament goes ahead and matches go along well, I think we could just be happy at this stage and learn for the next year.

"There have been a few teething problems and there are a few lessons to be learnt, but I am sure this tournament will be a grand success this time around and next time will be even bigger," she said.

Aparna said she was also optimistic about the chances of Indian players winning in the World Championships.

"Saina (Nehwal) is our front runner. And she has got a good draw. The Indians have been playing really well over the last year, especially since the Olympics. I am just hoping that they come up with some big performances.

"P V Sindhu also has a good chance. She has been playing well and is a dangerous player. Let's hope she can play to her potential and do really well," she said.

10. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

She is a risky buy because they have spent nearly 50% of their budget on one point out of 5, so they spent 50% on 20% return:D. Given the limited budget, in turn to find the remaining 9 players within budget is seriously compromised. She also might be fatigued or carry small injuries from the WC or just straight up lose to some WS like she has done in the past.

11. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    It has been said that many franchises were fighting to get her in their team at any cost. Does it mean only winning alone?? Lol. Not at all. Having a celebrity like her in their team definitely increase their possibility of pulling many, not only crowd but also endorements (marketing value). That's why they have decided to take her at any cost. No other indian player will get such an attraction other than Saina.

12. gopalprasad

gopalprasad Regular Member

Software Architect
    Absolutely its about the complete package hence the players bagged what they bagged not just on the playing potential alone but the value they bring in. Dont think India is yet ready to watch a MD match where no Indian player is involved and to think of it as a pride for a state/team/city by associating it with that likewise they do in other sports is right now a dream. So nobody would say its a bad purchase, its just about what and hw do you want your money to be invested & what are your needs. To win the championship you need to have a set of players who can win you 5 matches and if you splurge focusing in one or two matches how would you get to fair in the next 3? now if you think you can carefully mix and match these you have your goals settled.

Talking about SN or LCW they got only this much because of the same reason or else if there were no conditions on the maximum limit then they would have bagged much much more. This price is just an indication that these players are worth 50% of any team of 11 players according to the IBL auction that in itself says it all, How much badminton is tilted towards a couple of players presently :)

13. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    Seems like a hard woman to please, chetand anand migh be able to give some insight... Anyway, where is my good fren chetand !

14. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Yes, yes, yes. We know Saina is the most important buy for PR etc that is completely understood, the context for this was match/team analysis.

15. depleter

depleter Regular Member

student
    Wait a minute..Why is this not posted still...

Star Sports 2, ESPN to broadcast IBL

The Indian Badminton League (IBL) said on Saturday that Star Sports 2 and ESPN would be its official broadcaster.
    All 90 matches – 75 league, 10 semifinals and five finals — will be shown live on Star Sports 2 and ESPN. The $1 million league which features six franchisee-based city teams kicks off from Aug 14.
    Commenting on this association, ESPN Software India Pvt. Ltd. chief operating officer Vijay Rajput said, “The IBL fits in well with our overall strategy. It is a unique concept and has the potential of attracting a large fan base for badminton across the country given the presence of the best of national and international talent.”
    Speaking on the occassion, Badminton Association of India (BAI) president Akhilesh Das Gupta said, “We welcome Star Sports into the IBL fraternity and I am confident that the live telecast of IBL on Star Sports 2 and ESPN will take quality badminton action to millions of homes in India and further boost the game of badminton.”

http://www.sportskeeda.com/2013/07/27/star-sports-2-espn-to-broadcast-ibl/

One of the best decisions they had taken to date I must say....

16. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    The problem is hat IBL asking all players around the world to sign up...more than 50 foreign players...and we know only maximum 24 players would be signed...Korea refused it already as its players did not want to play IBL but IBL advertised that LYD had OKed..same thing with INA's national players which we did not sign at all..I had told them to select few..could not have asked everybody...at the same time..we did ask some Indian players to participate at Superliga..Gopichand said that they could not play because of AE prparation ( before it was OK by Gopi)..now he wanted everybody to promote badminton..I think India should think others as well..INA always send the players to India Gold Gp and Challenge...but India seldom send the players to Indonesia Gold GP and Challenge..I can tell you that India is so selfish...It is time for them to think..

17. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
  18. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    I always had the impression that India and Indonesia enjoyed a good relationship badminton-wise. :(

But fully agree that the IBL organisers have taken too many liberties with their "announcements" and press releases in the run-up to the franchise selling and the auctions. Bad ethical situation.

19. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Really, its understandable. Just now, I came to know that indonesia has called indian players for its Superliga. Even i wanted atleast one or two men's singles players from indonesia to take part in IBL. IBL organisers should have taken some more initiative to take atleast Tommy Sugiarto (I really like his style) in IBL. Because of indonesia's refusal, there would not be any choice for them to participate in IBL. I once again wanna tell you that india at any cost won't act selfish. India is an upcoming nation in badminton. One or two years back, only one or two from India would have been known to badminton fans across the world. Now, the list started to increase. In the coming years, you may expect many players from India in top 30 bracket and you may expect many to participate in indonesian tournaments as well( Past years, only few are familiar in international arena. The possibility of non-sending may be due to risk of injuries etc). India is always a peace loving nation. So, i regret if there was any misunderstandings.

20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

It still doesn't mean Steen's analysis was wrong or lacked insight. His analysis is based on an assumption that a team wants to win the whole thing. Therefore, such an analysis will not include PR for the sponsors. 'PR' isn't a physical entity that wins matches on the court.

Of course, definitely a sponsor may have a lower priority on winning and prefer to spend their dollars on marketing and PR instead. That's very understandable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.