Indonesian Open: MS

Discussion in 'Singapore / Indonesia / Malaysia Open 2003' started by whizkelv, Aug 23, 2003.

1. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    You're still gonna go for Lin, even though he already lost??:D :D

It's quite a pity Lin and Bao are out, but then again for some odd reason, even when 2/3 of top CHN shuttlers gone, there's still possbility for 3 Chinese to be in the 4 semi-final spots (if we count Mr. Ng here).

So Bao got some revenge here, but still not as bad as getting thrashed in WC in neutral gound.

I think Wu Yun Yong is trying to impersonate Chen Yu and make another "unkown Chinese shuttler" VS. established shuttler final! :) Of course, I hope he succeeds.

Silvia, you seem to have a really pessimistic view of Korean athletes!!:) I have to agree though, Korean linesmen and refs can be corrupt and will definitely lean towards their own countrymen. But then again, so can the Chinese linejudges. Remember Guang Zhou - Xia Xuanze vs. Wong CH?
    But you are right, the Koreans still do have a tendancy to do some "manipulating" at other times as well... FIFA WC 2002 and Busan Games come to mind.

Their MS shuttlers though, as Whiz and W|2172 (how do you even pronounce that sir?) are actually quite good. They can normally have a couple in quarter-finals and sometimes 1 in semi-finals at most given tourneys. If they have the likes of player who could beat Chen Hong (albeit lucky) and Peter Gade then they must be decent players.

2. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    :D Good one, whiz. Good one. :D (I hope swijaya would see the humour in this one)

So, Shon Sheung Mo got through? I don't know why but somehow I've been rooting for this guy a lot for the last few tournaments. Go Shon! (unless his next opponent in Malaysian, that is).

And "go Wu!", Hugo? ;)

#62 wilfredlgf, Aug 28, 2003
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2003
  3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Yong Hock Kin won the Indonesian Open a few years back....

4. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    .... and that was when his opponent doesn't have a temper like Taufik. Whiz probably was talking about the Indonesian crowd + Taufik. :D

5. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

Taufik is through. Trashed LEE TS.

Lets hope he goes all the way, come on Taufik.

6. whizkelv

whizkelv Regular Member

The score between Taufik and Lee TS is 15-3, 15-6 is Taufik's favour.
    Not surprising at all!
    His semi and final opponent may get similar trashing (including Chen Hong)!:(

7. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

Yeah. Sad for Lee TS as well, but at least he performed when he should, unlike Hafiz. He was leading 10-2 in the second set against Ronald, then his brain decided to take a walk.

8. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Sorry you can't watch your hero in action. But exactly where are stucked? No clue from your "location"!

Are you stucked working in Singapore? Or are you stucked in Batam itself and just can't get leave?

9. whizkelv

whizkelv Regular Member

Argh..... I mixed it up! Am actually refering to Shon SM.
    Sorry if I've confused any of you here!:eek:

10. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Can anybody please confirm whether the Indonesian Open Semi-Finals are played in the afternoon or evening, and what time do they start?

Hoping they are played in the afternoon so that I can take a boat to Batam and return in time without having to stay overnight!

Thanks in advance.

11. whizkelv

whizkelv Regular Member

Re: Quarter-finals match-up

Chen Hong bt Ronald Susilo 15-12, 15-12
    Susilo is doing pretty well in front of his native fans, rather than his adopted country's ministers!:p
    That's the difference playing in Indonesia!!:D

12. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

Indonesia is the holy land of badminton...hahahahaha. Anyway, looks more and more like a Chen Hong and Taufik showdown. However, anything can still happen.

Hafiz should be kicking himself right now.

13. whizkelv

whizkelv Regular Member

Holy land of badminton??:confused:
    Are you sure?;)
    Maybe to the locals but definitely not to the foreigners!:p

14. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Re: Re: Quarter-finals match-up

I think Ronald has redeemed himself somewhat although taking a game off Chen Hong would be a more appropriated gift to those Singaporeans who supported him throughout, including our Ministers. The scoreline is more like it when Ronald has beaten the likes of Shon and Hafiz, who in turn had defeated Chen before.

It is to be expected that Ronald should score more points as he played more times with Chen and when Ronald's confidence has grown and he believes in himself, an upset could well be possible. I'm looking forward to that day.

I only hope that during the Malaysian Open, Malaysian players will not disappoint their "native fans". Hopefully, they will be supported by their ministers' presence to add to confidence. Otherwise, there is NO difference playing in Malaysia!

15. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

Don't count on it Loh....hahahah. Wait till you see Choong start scratching or shaking his head.
    If I were the ministers, I would take my family out for a good meal rather then watching them squirm on court.

Ronald is one of the most improved players in the circuit, should see more of him form now on.

16. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

Choong/Lee is beginning to amaze me now. Cai Yun/Fu Hai Feng got thrashed 15-8, 15-4.

Hoever, the same cannot be said for Chan/Chew. After a promising run, they fell to veteran Thai pair.

17. whizkelv

whizkelv Regular Member

The remaining 2 MS results:

Lee HI bt Ng Wei 15-6, 17-14
    Wu YY bt Shon SM 15-10, 4-15, 15-13

18. whizkelv

whizkelv Regular Member

Hugo, Wu YY has so far succeeded in that!;)
    However, it's Taufik + Indonesia next, will he able to pull off another gigantic win?:)

19. silvia

silvia Regular Member

to Loh:

I am stuck here in sg working, but will go back on sunday to watch the final, as for the semi I think it will start at 1 singapore time, but i guess no more tickets already..........

To Hugo:
    I will not forget abt the Fifa wc 02, that where i saw the true koreans................
    I agree there are also some other countrydoing some manipulating to let their own ppl win, but they wont do it so obviously so outrageously so unreasonably.........

20. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired

#80 Loh, Aug 29, 2003
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2003